The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are there so few asians in the army?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Shabalala
The only reason Obama got in power was because he was black if he had been white he wouldn't have had anywhere neat the amount of support he did. Obama is just the same as any other president and hasn't followed through on the vast majority of his promises.

I would rather we didn't just vote in some black guy in for the sake of it and to say oh look we aren't racist I would rather they were there on merit and for that to happen more ethnic minorities need to stand for local MP's and build there way up then maybe there will become a non white prime minister.

name one president/prime minister who has met all their promises
Original post by Akinfenwa
Too busy being cowards more like.

I'd rather be a coward than be some one who thinks that he's going to bring stability in a region, when no one really benefits except the elite (of both countries)

Also, what's wrong with being a coward?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by belle-a
it depends on the ratio of Asians to Caucasians and or blacks(insert any other race) in the entire population.And not just that, it also depends on how many of those Asians are actually British citizens or with passports that make them eligible for the army.

what about the Gherkhas?
You mean these guys...

north-korean-army.jpg

Though for the British army I admit you're right.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
you do realize that China has one of the largest armies in the world right?

He's obviously talking about the British army.
Reply 45
Original post by AkaJetson
He's obviously talking about the British army.

It's not obvious to me, Im not British.
Because, despite what the media has you believe, the UK still has a small asian community.

Also, a lot of soldiers come from families where their fathers and/or grandfathers were soldiers in the British Army. Without this tradition of being in the British Army, British citizens who come from other countries are less likely to join.
Reply 47
Too busy being cowards more like.

Cowards you say?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369743/Gurkha-fought-Taliban-awarded-Gallantry-Cross.html

..resorted to using the tripod of his machine gun to defend his post and fellow soldiers.

your generalisation is pathetic.
Reply 48
Firstly - WTF does "Asian" mean? Are we talking "Asian" in the narrow "British-Asian" meaning of the word i.e. from the Sub-continent, or do we mean anyone from all of Asia?

The main reason that there are few ethnic Asians in the Army is that the family (be they chinese or indian) will tend to do everything they can to torpedo an army career before it begins, and try and tell the potential soldier that it's not for them, it's not a good career and basically it's for dumb white people.

"Asians" in Britain have some strong stereotypes, and far be it for me to gauge the truth of them - but everyone has heard of pushy Indian or Chinese parents that insist on "Cambridge or bust" or "Doctor or bust", and for whom success in life is measured purely in terms of salary. Of course, there are "white" parents like that too - and you won't find many of their kids in the Army, either.

Having said that, in terms of overall non-whites, there are seemingly very large numbers of Commonwealth soldiers, although most of these tend to be from the Carribean or Fiji. Someone told me that something like a quarter of the effective strength of a certain Scots battalion was made up of Fijians.
Not entirely relevant but in South Korea males have a mandatory military service of up to 24 months!
Reply 50
Original post by Existentialistic
Not entirely relevant but in South Korea males have a mandatory military service of up to 24 months!

That's surely because there's a country next door that used to be run by a total nutter.
I assume you are referring to the British army, because there are lots of asians in asian armies :smile:
I dont know what the statistics are but would have thought there are quite a few in- one of my cousins has served as a combat medic in the army

looking at the above posts it seems asian representation is fairly reflective of population. So i suppose the real you question you want to ask is why do people choose non army careers instead of army ones.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Clip
That's surely because there's a country next door that used to be run by a total nutter.

I think that will probably run in the family..
Reply 53
Original post by Bigyouth
Cowards you say?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369743/Gurkha-fought-Taliban-awarded-Gallantry-Cross.html

..resorted to using the tripod of his machine gun to defend his post and fellow soldiers.

your generalisation is pathetic.

Gurkhas aren't really British Asians though, are they? They're not in the same bracket that don't join the Army because their parents wanted them to be doctors. In Nepal, joining the British Army is like going to Oxford and Cambridge and becoming a brain surgeon all rolled into one.

And they're not even qualifiers from Commonwealth or Irish routes - the only reason they are allowed in the Army (and only then in their own special regiments) is because they're really hard.

Back in the olden days, they went around beating up all their neighbours and being general warlords. We turned up and had a huge fight - and they decided "if you can't beat them, join them".
Original post by Clip

Perhaps, but it should also be noted that Western countries such as Switzerland, Norway, Denmark and Finland all have enforced conscription, despite there being no immediate threat from their neighbours.
Reply 55
People on this thread have NO IDEA about the British armed forces.

One of Britain's most feared and valued military soldiers are the Gurkhas, the great Nepalese warriors.

I've met a few gurkhas in real like and boy they are toughies.

As was once said by Field Marshal Manekshaw: "If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."
Reply 56
Original post by Existentialistic
Perhaps, but it should also be noted that Western countries such as Switzerland, Norway, Denmark and Finland all have enforced conscription, despite there being no immediate threat from their neighbours.

Switzerland is a joke country, and they just want to have assault rifles in the cupboard under the stairs.

The rest are just hangovers from the Cold War. Their conscripts are nothing like South Korean national servicemen and barely partake in anything more wearing green clothes for six months before going back to whatever they were doing before.
Reply 57
Original post by Death.
People on this thread have NO IDEA about the British armed forces.

One of Britain's most feared and valued military soldiers are the Gurkhas, the great Nepalese warriors.

I've met a few gurkhas in real like and boy they are toughies.

As was once said by Field Marshal Manekshaw: "If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."

Again, the point of this thread is almost certainly about British Asians primarily, Commonwealth troops and the rest don't really come into it. Gurkhas don't count.
Reply 58
Original post by Clip
Gurkhas aren't really British Asians though, are they? They're not in the same bracket that don't join the Army because their parents wanted them to be doctors. In Nepal, joining the British Army is like going to Oxford and Cambridge and becoming a brain surgeon all rolled into one.

And they're not even qualifiers from Commonwealth or Irish routes - the only reason they are allowed in the Army (and only then in their own special regiments) is because they're really hard.

Back in the olden days, they went around beating up all their neighbours and being general warlords. We turned up and had a huge fight - and they decided "if you can't beat them, join them".

I don't think the original post really elicits whether or not they are 'British Asian', whatever that really means..

And i'm not sure what that 'bracket' is.. its definitely not exclusive to 'british-asians'. There are better reasons to not join the army.. and more for the 'british-asian' population that you refer to, its not necessarily 'love of the queen' or lack of nationalism; and who are we to dictate what their reasons are? I know mine, as a brit ,and I'm yet to be challenged.

And that's good.
Reply 59
Read what I said on page 2 idiot.

We are obviously not talking about Gurkhas.

So the Nepalese are not Asian?

Go read something you silly nong.

Latest

Trending

Trending