Can someone send me their notes please I'm so screwed

Excretion

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/ocr_excretion

Respiration

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/ocr_respiration1

Photosynthesis

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/ocr_photosynthesis

I don't have any on the first module I'm afraid
Ok guys, about controlling heart rate - am I right in saying that there are stretch receptors in both the muscles and the carotid sinus, and that the ones in the muscles detect stretch by exertion and the ones in the carotid sinus detect (dangerously) high blood pressure?
Original post by YB101
x

You reckon there will be labelling question on dialysis machine!
Reply 383
Omg ppl!! Khan academy vids on photosynthesis and EVERYTHING are brilliant and explains everything really clearly!! Check it out:

PS OVERVIEW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rsYk4eCKnA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

PS LIGHT REACTION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR2GA7chA_c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

PS CALVIN CYCLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slm6D2VEXYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 384
Original post by arvin_infinity
You reckon there will be labelling question on dialysis machine!

Could be, if so check the past papers because it has come up before
Reply 385
Yh but that's not do hard!! I'm more worried about the respiration questions!! So hard to revise for that!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by KeepBreathing
Can anyone explain what a respiratory quotient actually shows please? :smile:

An RQ shows the type of substrate being respired e.g. RQ of 1 - carbohydrates being respired,RQ of 0.7- lipids being respired and RQ of 0.9- proteins being respired. Also it can show whether aerobic or anaerobic respiration is taking place e.g RQ above one indicates anaerobic respiration whilst RQ of one and under is aerobic respiration.
Hope this helped :-)
Reply 387
can someone please explain for me how the loop of henle actually works ? :smile:
Original post by YB101
Could be, if so check the past papers because it has come up before

Am confused..are you saying it has come up..or you telling me to check it myself
Original post by kimmey
can someone please explain for me how the loop of henle actually works ? :smile:

A bit more specific..might be able to explain :smile:

here is a ridiculously simplified version: loop of henle is involved in making the medulla salty and therefore lowering its water p so
creating a water potential gradient between medulla and the filtrate (in the loop of henle)

what is wrong with the spell checker..Henle is the right spelling :colone:
Original post by kimmey

The loop of henle works to create a low wp in the medulla allowing water reabsorption

1)In the ascending limb na+/cl- ions are actively pumped out into the medulla this lowers the wp in the medulla due to.a build up of a high concentration of ions -the ascending is impermeable to water
2) in the descending limb water moves out into the medulla by osmosis - the wp of the medulla is lower than the descending limb - this further lowers the wp so water is reabsorbed into the blood through the capillary network
3) near the bottom of the ascending limb na+cl- ions are pumped out into medulla further lowering wp
4) the first 3 increase ion concentration in the medulla lowering wp so water can be reabsorbed into the blood through the capillary network
Oh i forgot to mention at point four this causes water to move out of the collecting duct by osmosis :-)
Reply 392
Original post by corpuscallosum
Ok guys, about controlling heart rate am I right in saying that there are stretch receptors in both the muscles and the carotid sinus, and that the ones in the muscles detect stretch by exertion and the ones in the carotid sinus detect (dangerously) high blood pressure?

yepp, the ones in the carotid sinus (present in the carotid artery) detect changes in bp..
Reply 393
Am confused..are you saying it has come up..or you telling me to check it myself

I'm saying that it HAS definitely come up before, a question on labelling a dialysis machine. But if I was you I'd pay particular attention to the long answer questions, make sure you know what you need to include to get full marks because the marking points are usually about 15-20 for a 8 or 9 mark question. Also, pay attention to topics that HAVEN'T come up because as we all know OCR are horrible :smile:
Reply 394
Does anyone find this harder than F215? There seems to be less room for mistakes. :s-smilie:
Reply 395
Original post by Groat
Does anyone find this harder than F215? There seems to be less room for mistakes. :s-smilie:

Definitely! at least in F215 its so big that you can afford to drop a few marks, but in this it feels like every single mark you drop will make you miss out on a grade D:
I think it's ridiculous that there's only 6 marks between grades!
Reply 396
The three mark suggest questions can be just as picky, but not as many marks in the paper to compensate!

I'll be revising all day tomorrow. :colone:
Reply 397
Does anyone know why the bigger the diameter of the axon, the faster the rate of conduction? I don't think it's in the book?
Reply 398
A bit more specific..might be able to explain :smile:

here is a ridiculously simplified version: loop of henle is involved in making the medulla salty and therefore lowering its water p so
creating a water potential gradient between medulla and the filtrate (in the loop of henle)

what is wrong with the spell checker..Henle is the right spelling :colone:

aha i believe henle with an acute symbol is the correct spelling :wink: yeh i just wanted to know how the ascending limb links to teh descending limb to lower the water p of the medulla etcc
Reply 399
Original post by JustMeAyshia
The loop of henle works to create a low wp in the medulla allowing water reabsorption

1)In the ascending limb na+/cl- ions are actively pumped out into the medulla this lowers the wp in the medulla due to.a build up of a high concentration of ions -the ascending is impermeable to water
2) in the descending limb water moves out into the medulla by osmosis - the wp of the medulla is lower than the descending limb - this further lowers the wp so water is reabsorbed into the blood through the capillary network
3) near the bottom of the ascending limb na+cl- ions are pumped out into medulla further lowering wp
4) the first 3 increase ion concentration in the medulla lowering wp so water can be reabsorbed into the blood through the capillary network

thanks, very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending