The Student Room Group

How did you find the biology paper?

I myself did so much better than I was expecting. I know some of the answers to the questions were definitely wrong, but it's the first paper I ever completely filled in. I knew basically nothing, but I knew homeostasis would be most of my paper. I learned what homeostasis was last night. Personally, It's been the easiest paper I've ever done, and I know it sounds bad but I might do this for all of them. I have memory loss problems, so doing it the night before REALLY helped. It helped a lot more than learning it over 2 years (forgot). I can't remember most of the things from most of my classes, and my next exam is on Friday, so I have a lot more time to cover different topics, but I'll make sure to go through them again on Thursday night.
Reply 1
Hey! I'm not certain what biology paper you did, but I take AQA's separate sciences (higher tier). I myself found the exam fairly easy by comparison to the mocks I've done in previous years, but some of the initial questions required recall of really niche and unnecessary facts. Asides from that, the hardest part was on the leaf practical (which wasn't on the spec). As somebody who has been home schooled for the last year, I'm pleasantly surprised it wasn't too practical heavy since I wasn't present for many in year 10 due to health issues. Overall, it was good.
I thought i did terrible then i spoke to someone who didn't even know what mitosis was and then realised I was fine.
Original post by K.online.
Hey! I'm not certain what biology paper you did, but I take AQA's separate sciences (higher tier). I myself found the exam fairly easy by comparison to the mocks I've done in previous years, but some of the initial questions required recall of really niche and unnecessary facts. Asides from that, the hardest part was on the leaf practical (which wasn't on the spec). As somebody who has been home schooled for the last year, I'm pleasantly surprised it wasn't too practical heavy since I wasn't present for many in year 10 due to health issues. Overall, it was good.

Hi! I take WJEC's triple sciences (higher, except chemistry). I also found the exam a lot easier than the mocks. I also found it a lot easier than many of the past papers I found online. I talked to a few people and the general consensus is that they're trying to artificially increase grade boundaries to pre-2020 levels by making the papers easier than usual. Either that, or they're genuinely taking pity on us, but I highly doubt that. My paper sounded like it was a lot more kind than yours. It was really easy common sense questions, like asking how to prevent the spread of HIV and stuff. I did get some information in advance, though. On my exam timetable, for the sciences, it says the topic next to them. It says "Biology - Variation, Homeostasis" and gets cut off there. I knew there was one more topic, which I assumed was micro-organisms based on some of the past papers with similar topics, but it was DNA, which I wasn't really prepared for. The exam went a lot easier than I expected though, and I thought I'd do terrible. I'm glad your experience was good too! Hopefully the grade boundaries aren't too high, and both of us benefit from these easy questions.
Original post by Dandanqiwiwi
I thought i did terrible then i spoke to someone who didn't even know what mitosis was and then realised I was fine.

Ehhhh. I went into the exam not knowing some really easy things, which I got made fun of for, but they weren't even mentioned on the paper.
Reply 5
aqa separate science paper was lovely - it could have been so much worse. Also i found the leaf practical question a bit odd, coz it had been predicted to come up but the colored light thing threw me off a bit icl

Original post by K.online.
Original post by FriskyMega
aqa separate science paper was lovely - it could have been so much worse. Also i found the leaf practical question a bit odd, coz it had been predicted to come up but the colored light thing threw me off a bit icl

What was the leaf question?
Reply 7
Original post by emnaaerymanlto
Hi! I take WJEC's triple sciences (higher, except chemistry). I also found the exam a lot easier than the mocks. I also found it a lot easier than many of the past papers I found online. I talked to a few people and the general consensus is that they're trying to artificially increase grade boundaries to pre-2020 levels by making the papers easier than usual. Either that, or they're genuinely taking pity on us, but I highly doubt that. My paper sounded like it was a lot more kind than yours. It was really easy common sense questions, like asking how to prevent the spread of HIV and stuff. I did get some information in advance, though. On my exam timetable, for the sciences, it says the topic next to them. It says "Biology - Variation, Homeostasis" and gets cut off there. I knew there was one more topic, which I assumed was micro-organisms based on some of the past papers with similar topics, but it was DNA, which I wasn't really prepared for. The exam went a lot easier than I expected though, and I thought I'd do terrible. I'm glad your experience was good too! Hopefully the grade boundaries aren't too high, and both of us benefit from these easy questions.

I reckon they could be attempting to artificially increase the grade boundaries, but I wouldn't say that my exam was particularly more or less difficult, but rather the questions were formatted differently to mocks in previous years. That's not to say that made it much harder, but I just found some of the questions particularly odd or seemingly common sense. Of course, you'd have to be familiar with the biology scheme to understand it in detail, but it does make me wonder why something felt so different this year. Regardless, I hope you do well!
Reply 8
Original post by emnaaerymanlto
What was the leaf question?

Talking about the effect of different coloured lights on the rate of photosynthesis I believe.
Reply 9
Original post by FriskyMega

I agree. It was quite odd, and nothing could have prepared me for it. Luckily a lot of people thought likewise, so I'm hoping that is reflected in the marks/grade boundaries. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest