The Student Room Group

Psychiatrist appointment

Has anyone ever lied to a psychiatrist and got away with it?
They are trying to diagnose me with something but its not true they can run and jump as far as im concerned.

So if i pretend everythings great and wonderful - things will be okay right?

Theres absolutely no reason that i should be going - im doing it because ive been ordered to.

Scroll to see replies

What's the point in lying??
Reply 2
i dont think lying is allowed, but i'm pretty sure you have the right to keep silent and not tell them things you dont want to tell

But why lie? Surely a diagnosis can only do you good?
Reply 3
If they find out you are lying you risk getting the diagnosis you are worried about/avoiding plus getting diagnosed with fictitious disorder.

What do you think they will diagnosed you and do you think it is wrong?
Reply 4
God only knows what they are trying to diagnose me with - i think its personality disorder. Im trying to find ways of getting out of it.
Infact im not just going to say anything.
I wonder why you say might get diagnosed with facticious disorder??
Reply 5
Original post by animalnitrate
What's the point in lying??

Original post by Lewk
i dont think lying is allowed, but i'm pretty sure you have the right to keep silent and not tell them things you dont want to tell

But why lie? Surely a diagnosis can only do you good?

Because i need to avoid a diagnosis at all costs.
The people who are making me see a psychiatrist are just waiting for a diagnosis to evolve so that they have an excuse to get rid of me!!

Infact im just going to be wasting time by going to see one. Theres people on here who wait months to see someone and im just being forced to go. Doesnt make sence does it??
Original post by Anonymous
Because i need to avoid a diagnosis at all costs.
The people who are making me see a psychiatrist are just waiting for a diagnosis to evolve so that they have an excuse to get rid of me!!

Infact im just going to be wasting time by going to see one. Theres people on here who wait months to see someone and im just being forced to go. Doesnt make sence does it??

I'm pretty sure that no one wants to get rid of you - that's exactly the way I saw things when I was mentally ill, obviously you can't help having distorted thinking but I can assure you that these people want you to get better. They wouldn't send to a GP if they didn't want you to get help of some kind.
Reply 7
Original post by animalnitrate
I'm pretty sure that no one wants to get rid of you - that's exactly the way I saw things when I was mentally ill, obviously you can't help having distorted thinking but I can assure you that these people want you to get better. They wouldn't send to a GP if they didn't want you to get help of some kind.

I havent been to a GP they referred me straight to the psychiatrist. Who may i add is one of them and just trying to get me kicked out aswell.
Thats the thing im not mentally ill, im not thinking distorted im completely well which is what is frustrating me.

I have to go i have no choice. I have to act like not myself so theres no suspected "character defect"
I havent been to a GP they referred me straight to the psychiatrist. Who may i add is one of them and just trying to get me kicked out aswell.
Thats the thing im not mentally ill, im not thinking distorted im completely well which is what is frustrating me.

I have to go i have no choice. I have to act like not myself so theres no suspected "character defect"

Classic example of distorted thinking
Reply 9
If you really are well then there shouldn't be any need for you to lie about anything. Just be yourself and behave as you normally would and the psychiatrist will be able to see that nothing is wrong.
Has anyone ever lied to a psychiatrist and got away with it?
They are trying to diagnose me with something but its not true they can run and jump as far as im concerned.

So if i pretend everythings great and wonderful - things will be okay right?

Theres absolutely no reason that i should be going - im doing it because ive been ordered to.

They are very good at seeing through things, especially with personality stuff in my opinion. I have tried lying and they have just responded by saying I have absolutely no insight into my mental health. I would strongly advise to tell the truth, as they will probably see through it and just say you have no insight, which won't help things. Better to be honest really. Who's trying to get rid of you?
I'm with bullettheory here - psychiatrists must get people lying to them all the time, and if they think that's the case with you then you're not going to get off to a very good start with them. Whereas if you're honest, and remember that a psychiatrist's job is to help you and be on your side, you'll be in a much better position to have a proper conversation with them, rationally discussing what may or may not be wrong with you, and then decide what further steps, if any, might be appropriate.

Hope it works out well for you. :smile:
Reply 12
If you are completely well with no disordered thinking then surely you don't have to lie or keep quiet because....well because you thinking is orderly.
If you just act yourself then the psych will just say "I can't see a problem".... So I'm not sure what your problem is? Unless you think you do have a problem and you don't want to be found out!

You could always just not turn up t o the appointment and tell your friends you went and you got a full bill of health, after all it is all confidential.
Reply 13
Because theres obviously something wrong with the way i am now which is why they suspect something. So in order to be deemed "well" i need to pretend to be someone else.
I cant not go to the appointment its been arranged by the college. Its not confidential, the psychiatrist is going to be working for them!!
Because theres obviously something wrong with the way i am now which is why they suspect something. So in order to be deemed "well" i need to pretend to be someone else.
I cant not go to the appointment its been arranged by the college. Its not confidential, the psychiatrist is going to be working for them!!

Look even if you do turn out to have some kind of personality disorder, they can't use that as discrimination to kick you out of college. You have rights as a student.
Because theres obviously something wrong with the way i am now...
What do you feel is wrong? And is it causing you difficulties with your studies, impacting upon your daily life or relationships?
Reply 16
Original post by los lobos marinos
What do you feel is wrong? And is it causing you difficulties with your studies, impacting upon your daily life or relationships?

I have lots of friends i like going out, i adore my course. I dont understand what the problem is.

I just stand up for myself when people take the piss, i dont like being undermined especially if someone crosses one of my moral boundaries.

The only way it is impacting on my studies is that i dont trust anyone and im right not to they just talk behind my back and write letters to each other - its true ive seen them. Im getting so pissed off with people that all i want to do is shout and/or cry at them. This psychiatrist is on their side and wants me out the door, it true. I dont care if you dont believe me.
I have lots of friends i like going out, i adore my course. I dont understand what the problem is.

I just stand up for myself when people take the piss, i dont like being undermined especially if someone crosses one of my moral boundaries.

The only way it is impacting on my studies is that i dont trust anyone and im right not to they just talk behind my back and write letters to each other - its true ive seen them. Im getting so pissed off with people that all i want to do is shout and/or cry at them. This psychiatrist is on their side and wants me out the door, it true. I dont care if you dont believe me.
Thanks for replying and for your honesty.

I'm a little confused by your response though as your last two posts conflict with one another. Everyone gets a little upset when people talk behind their backs but this happens everywhere, everyday and every minute to everyone. Typical behaviour is to shrug it off and ignore any perceived insult. Atypical behaviour includes emotional angry, tearful outbursts which I too have been know to exhibit. When that happens to me I know my mental health is deteriorating. However everyone is different and does not necessarily mean the same for you.

But to get back to my original question which you kinda skillfully skirted around :wink:. You stated in your previous post that "...theres obviously something wrong with the way i am now...".

What exactly is it that you have identified that is obviously wrong with the way you are now?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by los lobos marinos
Atypical behaviour includes emotional angry, tearful outbursts which I too have been know to exhibit. When that happens to me I know my mental health is deteriorating. However everyone is different and does not necessarily mean the same for you.
What exactly is it that you have identified that is obviously wrong with the way you are now?

Can i ask exactly what you mean by your mental health is deteriorating? What do they say makes you that way?

Thing is i get so angry and annoyed when people talk behind my back or try and accuse me of things i havent done, goes against everything i stand for.

Surely everyone can have morals and if someone oversteps them? I just dont understand why i am always wrong because im not.

This is why there is nothing wrong and im not saying anything to the stupid psychiatrist.
Hi,

I feel I have been exactly in the same situation. I am nursing student, and we have to be seen to have nothing that is affecting our ability to practise.
Before applying I had been under mental health services, but discharged. It was written on the Occupational health form by that GP. When having my Occupational Health appointment in my first year, it was picked up on and since then they have been sticking their oar in.
They want to know alot of personal information. I was sent be them to see a psychiatrist (they paid privately) for a full report. I like you edited the truth slightly. It was written in the report that I had some insight to my mental health issues, but failed to see them in whole. I was diagnosed with a personality disorder in this report.
I thought this was it! But it WASNT they cannot kick you off the course, as they have to have a variety of people on the course.
Though to stay on the course I have to meet certain requirements, I have to have 6mth occ health reviews, and they have insisted that I under go treatment for my PD. They referred me to an NHS psychiatrist and I am awaiting treatment. I have now ackowledged I need help/I am ill and they seem to be better for this.
There is hope. If they kick you off it is discrimination!!
If you need any advice post back I feel like I have been to the end of the world and back with psychiatrists and diagnosis.
N

Quick Reply

Latest