The Student Room Group

C4 trig

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by uxa595
One thing i found confusing though is, how just before you get to this step:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28cosA+%2B+sinA%29+%2F+%28cosA-sinA%29+%3D+tan%28A+%2B%28pi%2F4%29%29

You get this:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=square+root+%28%28cos%5E2+x+%2B+2sinxcosx+%2B+sin%5E2+x%29+%2F+%28cos%5E2+x+-2sinxcosx+%2B+sin%5E2+x%29%29

and the denominator can be factorised to either:
(sinx - cosx)^2
or
(cosx - sinx)^2

but only the second one in right. How would you know which one works in the exam without having to do them both fully?

The teacher i had on the day wasn't great and couldn't explain it at all while the guy who sits opposite me overcomplicated it :colondollar: (i'm not to the same cambridge maths standard he is , just like you but you seem to be able to explain stuff well :tongue:)
Original post by uxa595
One thing i found confusing though is, how just before you get to this step:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28cosA+%2B+sinA%29+%2F+%28cosA-sinA%29+%3D+tan%28A+%2B%28pi%2F4%29%29

You get this:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=square+root+%28%28cos%5E2+x+%2B+2sinxcosx+%2B+sin%5E2+x%29+%2F+%28cos%5E2+x+-2sinxcosx+%2B+sin%5E2+x%29%29

and the denominator can be factorised to either:
(sinx - cosx)^2
or
(cosx - sinx)^2

but only the second one in right. How would you know which one works in the exam without having to do them both fully?

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure but I think the problem here may be that you added solutions when you substituted cos^2a + sin^2a for 1. Don't quote me on this, but that's the only reason I can think of.

So again I'd reiterate it's worth looking at my solution as there's less uncertainty. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by hassi94
No no that's not what I'm saying. It is an assumption, anything is an assumption if you don't prove it. What makes the difference is what you're ALLOWED to assume, and you're allowed to quote the formula booklet without proof.

In the same way this is a well known result and can easily be proved if you wanted to.

Anyway we're arguing over something pointless lol.
Original post by f1mad
In the same way this is a well known result and can easily be proved if you wanted to.

Anyway we're arguing over something pointless lol.

Well known and allowed to be assumed are two different things (as I said, for identities only stuff in the formula booklet, and in some cases very slight variations, can be quoted without proof). If you prove that identity that's fine but then you might as well do the solution fully (because what you're suggesting is essentially splitting a solution into 2 parts).

Aha yeah I guess so; just want to make sure the OP knows full marks may not be given if you use identities not in the formula booklet. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by hassi94
Well known and allowed to be assumed are two different things (as I said, for identities only stuff in the formula booklet, and in some cases very slight variations, can be quoted without proof). If you prove that identity that's fine but then you might as well do the solution fully (because what you're suggesting is essentially splitting a solution into 2 parts).

Aha yeah I guess so; just want to make sure the OP knows full marks may not be given if you use identities not in the formula booklet. :smile:

OK fair enough.

I still think you'd get full marks if that was an exam question though :tongue:.

Continuing this would be a waste of time since we're both right anyhow. So let's call it day :wink:.
Original post by f1mad

My point is if you're going to use identities you're not permitted to use what's stopping me from using another identity (which is actually right below the one you quoted on the wikipedia page) being 1+sinθ1sinθ=1tan(θ/2)1+tan(θ/2)\sqrt{\dfrac{1+sin\theta}{1-sin\theta}} = \dfrac{1-tan(\theta/2)}{1+tan(\theta/2)} and then we could shortcut right from the start until the end?

I'll stop now. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by f1mad
OK fair enough.

I still think you'd get full marks if that was an exam question though :tongue:.

Continuing this would be a waste of time since we're both right anyhow. So let's call it day :wink:.

I disagree, Hassi is right on this. If you just stated that tan(A+π4)=tan2A+sec2A\tan (A+\dfrac{\pi}{4}) = \tan 2A + \sec 2A without proof, you'd almost definitely get no marks. It's not something that the formula book allows you to assume.
Reply 27
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I disagree, Hassi is right on this. If you just stated that tan(A+π4)=tan2A+sec2A\tan (A+\dfrac{\pi}{4}) = \tan 2A + \sec 2A without proof, you'd almost definitely get no marks. It's not something that the formula book allows you to assume.

So are you saying you'd have to prove every identity you use in the exam, for these sorts of questions? E.g. you'd need to show that sin2a= 2cosasina via sin(a+a)?
There are standard identities

The one you wanted to use is not amongst them
Reply 29
Original post by hassi94
Now I'm on my PC I can type it out fully.

Spoiler

Thanks for the solution.

I did it in this way:
1+sin2acos2a=1+2sinacosacos2asin2a=sin2a+cos2a+sinacosa+sinacosacos2asin2a=(sina+cosa)(cosa+sina)(cosasina)(cosa+sina)=sina+cosacosasina[br] \displaystyle \frac{1+sin2a}{cos2a} = \frac{1+2sinacosa}{cos^2a - sin^2a} = \frac{sin^2a + cos^2a+sinacosa+sinacosa}{cos^2a - sin^2a} = \frac{(sina + cosa)(cosa+sina)}{(cosa - sina)(cosa+sina)} = \frac{sina+cosa}{cosa-sina}[br]
Dividing top and bottom by cosa,
[br]tana+11tana=tana+tan451tanatan45=tan(a+π4)[br][br][br]\displaystyle \frac{tana+1}{1-tana} = \frac{tana+tan45}{1-tanatan45} = tan\left(a+\frac{\pi}{4}\right) [br][br]
Original post by raheem94
Thanks for the solution.

I did it in this way:
1+sin2acos2a=1+2sinacosacos2asin2a=sin2a+cos2a+sinacosa+sinacosacos2asin2a=(sina+cosa)(cosa+sina)(cosasina)(cosa+sina)=sina+cosacosasina[br] \displaystyle \frac{1+sin2a}{cos2a} = \frac{1+2sinacosa}{cos^2a - sin^2a} = \frac{sin^2a + cos^2a+sinacosa+sinacosa}{cos^2a - sin^2a} = \frac{(sina + cosa)(cosa+sina)}{(cosa - sina)(cosa+sina)} = \frac{sina+cosa}{cosa-sina}[br]
Dividing top and bottom by cosa,
[br]tana+11tana=tana+tan451tanatan45=tan(a+π4)[br][br][br]\displaystyle \frac{tana+1}{1-tana} = \frac{tana+tan45}{1-tanatan45} = tan\left(a+\frac{\pi}{4}\right) [br][br]

Yeah also a good way :smile: As these trig identities get longer to show there are many different ways to arrive at the RHS :smile:

And no problem.
Original post by f1mad
So are you saying you'd have to prove every identity you use in the exam, for these sorts of questions? E.g. you'd need to show that sin2a= 2cosasina via sin(a+a)?

No because that's not a new identity, that's just values subsituted into an existing identity and collecting like terms (writing 2cosasina instead of sinacosa + sinacosa). These slight variations are allowed, like as far as I know you're allowed to state 1+tan2x=sec2x1 + tan^2x = sec^2x without proof because it's only a slight variations from cos2x+sin2x=1cos^2x + sin^2x = 1
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by f1mad

I didn't suggest that at all. sin2a=2cosasina is just a special case of an identity that you're given, you don't need to show anything there, just replace B with an A in the standard sin(A+B) identity and there's literally nothing to be shown as you don't use any further identities to get from sin(A+A) to sin2a=2sinacosa.

Basically, if I asked you to use exactly one of the identities in the formula book or sin^2x+cos^2x=1 in any of it's forms (i.e. any of the identities that you are allowed to assume in an exam) to show that the expression you've stated is true and you couldn't do it, then it's clearly not a direct consequence of anything that you're allowed to assume and hence must be proven before use.
Reply 33
Original post by f1mad
Ahem he's done it right so far. If he multiplies top and bottom by cosA+sinA and simplifies it reduces to a well known identity.

Spoiler

Is it really a well known identity?

I never knew this identity before.
Reply 34
Original post by hassi94
No because that's not a new identity, that's just values subsituted into an existing identity and collecting like terms (writing 2cosasina instead of sinacosa + sinacosa). These slight variations are allowed, like as far as I know you're allowed to state 1+tan2x=sec2x1 + tan^2x = sec^2x without proof because it's only a slight variations from cos2x+sin2x=1cos^2x + sin^2x = 1

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I didn't suggest that at all. sin2a=2cosasina is just a special case of an identity that you're given, you don't need to show anything there, just replace B with an A in the standard sin(A+B) identity and there's literally nothing to be shown as you don't use any further identities to get from sin(A+A) to sin2a=2sinacosa.

Basically, if I asked you to use exactly one of the identities in the formula book or sin^2x+cos^2x=1 in any of it's forms (i.e. any of the identities that you are allowed to assume in an exam) to show that the expression you've stated is true and you couldn't do it, then it's clearly not a direct consequence of anything that you're allowed to assume and hence must be proven before use.

Hang about, you both argued that you can quote without proof a trig identity that is in the formula book, yet now you change on stance on it by allowing variations.

By the same logic I could say tan(A/2+pi/4) is nothing special since you could replace A/2 and pi/4 with x from tan(x+x).

Spoiler

Original post by f1mad
Hang about, you both argued that you can quote without proof a trig identity that is in the formula book, yet now you change on stance on it by allowing variations.

By the same logic I could say tan(A/2+pi/4) is nothing special since you could replace A/2 and pi/4 with x from tan(x+x).

Spoiler

I have always said with slight variations "It is an assumption if you don't prove it. In a level maths you can only assume what's in the formula booklet and slight variations " - that was from 3 hours ago.

I'm not saying you can just 'vary' them however you want. I'm saying there are certain identities you are also allowed to assume true; and the exam board allow this (this is my interpretation, by the way) because they're so similar to ones in the formula booklet that they're basically already given.
Reply 36
Original post by hassi94
I have always said with slight variations "It is an assumption if you don't prove it. In a level maths you can only assume what's in the formula booklet and slight variations " - that was from 3 hours ago.

I'm not saying you can just 'vary' them however you want. I'm saying there are certain identities you are also allowed to assume true; and the exam board allow this (this is my interpretation, by the way) because they're so similar to ones in the formula booklet that they're basically already given.

In a way you're right. It depends how you define "variation"- that's too vague.

The complete reason is the fact the exam board would want you to memorise them and recall them in the exam.

"Candidates should learn the following formulae, which are not included in the formulae booklet, but which may be required to answer questions."
Original post by f1mad
In a way you're right. It depends how you define "variation"- that's too vague.

The complete reason is the fact the exam board would want you to memorise them and recall them in the exam.

"Candidates should learn the following formulae, which are not included in the formulae booklet, but which may be required to answer questions."

It is too vague - that was just me saying that certain identities are allowed which aren't on the formula book :smile: But I agree with the exam board requesting students memorise them is the proper reasoning here.

Anyway I think the point has been made now, and we've discussed this enough. The OP has figured out how to do the question (without using either of our methods, by the way :wink:) and we're way off topic! :tongue:
Reply 38
Original post by hassi94
It is too vague - that was just me saying that certain identities are allowed which aren't on the formula book :smile: But I agree with the exam board requesting students memorise them is the proper reasoning here.

Anyway I think the point has been made now, and we've discussed this enough. The OP has figured out how to do the question (without using either of our methods, by the way :wink:) and we're way off topic! :tongue:

Agreed.

I guess we should all shut up now. :tongue:
Original post by f1mad

My stance hasn't changed at any point in this whole thing. What you've just said doesn't follow from the logic I was coming from. Setting A/2 and pi/4 would let you use the identity tan(A2+π4)=1+tan12A1tan12A\tan(\frac{A}{2} + \frac{\pi}{4}) = \dfrac{1+\tan\frac{1}{2}A}{1-\tan\frac{1}{2}A}. But in order to use the identity you suggested, you need to manipulate the RHS using a combination of further identities. This requires proof. If you asserted it without proof, you would get no marks. Full stop.

EDIT: I agree that this is off-topic however so it should stop here.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest