The Student Room Group

Help urgent maths

Help I don’t get how they did this question which double angle formula was used?IMG_2694.jpeg
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
The first one is
sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)
and square both sides. Then they used another double angle for
sin^2(2x)
to get ~cos(4x). As per the previous post, you should expect that the original integrand will transform into trig(4x) as its a product of 4 trig terms. They do it in two steps.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
The first one is
sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)
and square both sides. Then they used another double angle for
sin^2(2x)
to get ~cos(4x). As per the previous post, you should expect that the original integrand will transform into trig(4x) as its a product of 4 trig terms. They do it in two steps.

This is so hard… I forgot everything and my real a level exam is on Monday
Reply 3
For the double angles, it should be relatively straight forward as when you have a product of two trig terms, so sin*cos or sin^2 or cos^2, it pretty much maps directly onto a single trig function which has an argument which is a double angle. Its just the angle addition identity / geometrry proofs. Triple angles are then given by angle addition identity for (2x+x) and you know the double angle identities so ..
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
For the double angles, it should be relatively straight forward as when you have a product of two trig terms, so sin*cos or sin^2 or cos^2, it pretty much maps directly onto a single trig function which has an argument which is a double angle. Its just the angle addition identity / geometrry proofs. Triple angles are then given by angle addition identity for (2x+x) and you know the double angle identities so ..

I feel like I’m gonna fail 😭 I’ve worked so hard for the past 2 years and I just forgot everything…
Reply 5
Theres no silver bullet but try not to get too stressed and think about the different ways you can go about getting a solution.

Quick Reply

Latest