The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4 (6BI04) - 15 June 2012 - Official Exam Discussion Thread!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by tinzoo
plz someone tell me how they worked out their rate???? :/

I multiplied because the milk was in decimetres cubed, n the methane produced was per decimetres cubed. So to find out the total produced by the amount of milk u wud have to multiply
Original post by Sfrisch1
I left the last two pages coz I didn't have time to do them....n I rushed through the other last questions so I'm pretty sure I lost about twenty marks for questions I didn't answer :frown: hopefully I did well on the ones that I answered.....our teacher is going to complain to the exam board though, coz most people didn't get to finish

If you realise that you're gonna run out of time, you should have done the big marker questions and skip the 2,3 mark Q's
It was a long paper but quite easier than other papers. Felt great to complete in time. Any guess on the grade boundaries. I think 62 - A and 65 - A* .
Time was the main issue for this paper for ALL of my class. Some didn't finish and left the last 2 pages as well... thankfully I finished but the last question (which was great) was very rushed and not properly worded as I didn't have time to properly organise my thoughts :frown:
I literally had 2 minutes to do it.
Original post by Sfrisch1
I multiplied because the milk was in decimetres cubed, n the methane produced was per decimetres cubed. So to find out the total produced by the amount of milk u wud have to multiply

Hey dude I did the same ...there were two answers ..one was 700 something another was 600 sth
What did people write for "suggest how useful core body temperature is for TOD" and also what did people write for "apart from vaccines, how else can the pigs who have the virus be treated"

Still can't believe that I didn't finish the paper. :frown:
Original post by FishOuttaWater
Time was the main issue for this paper for ALL of my class. Some didn't finish and left the last 2 pages as well... thankfully I finished but the last question (which was great) was very rushed and not properly worded as I didn't have time to properly organise my thoughts :frown:
I literally had 2 minutes to do it.

it would have been wise if u had done the qs 8 earlier .... this question about dna was a straight forward one and was a part of As
:colondollar:
I know :frown: I skipped the 3 questions before it but I had still had to rush it because I didn't want to leave them out.
How did you find it?
Original post by FishOuttaWater
I know :frown: I skipped the 3 questions before it but I had still had to rush it because I didn't want to leave them out.
How did you find it?

I found the entire paper quite easier than the others.... but it was a little too long and that was a great issue . Any thought on the grade boundaries
Reply 789
Original post by TheQuietOne
Not sure, I don't trust edexcel at all with ANYTHING. Other exam boards I'd say probably...edexcel I really don't know.

(I paid for a remark and my paper back so I could decide whether to do this resit. They gave me my marks - no change - and then refused to send me my paper back or give me a refund on it...so I couldn't check the remark/see where I went wrong to revise from...and I just had to plump for a retake anyway. :mad:)

With this exam I mainly hated the fact the questions seemed to
A) Ask for a LOT for very few marks
or
B) Ask for very little for a ton of marks

So I had no idea what to write :s-smilie:

heyy most people say that edexcel makes the easiest exams and thats why some universities want higher grades for edexcel than the other exam boards. and i really dont understand how it works, and what to write :/ shame. I keep getting B from bio. what was your previous grade from bio unit 4?
Original post by Cold Blood
I found the entire paper quite easier than the others.... but it was a little too long and that was a great issue . Any thought on the grade boundaries

Yeah, I agree with that. It was better than January at least. I really hope I did well. I don't have a clue what the grade boundaries could be but I hope they're low :colondollar:
I finished the paper with 4minutes to spare..The forensics question was the lamest ever but overall other questions were quite easy,How did everyone do the question about the rabbits and deer and the one with the graph about GP and RuBP?
I've always struggled with time, I made sure that i didn't spend more than a mark a minute, left it, then came back to add notes that had suddenly "clicked". Though I had around 15 minutes left?! The DNA Transcription and translation with the primary structure question was the last question right?! :biggrin:
Reply 793
Original post by Cold Blood
It was a long paper but quite easier than other papers. Felt great to complete in time. Any guess on the grade boundaries. I think 62 - A and 65 - A* .

Thats really high! I think more like 53/54 for an A

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Kate Beckett
I finished the paper with 4minutes to spare..The forensics question was the lamest ever but overall other questions were quite easy,How did everyone do the question about the rabbits and deer and the one with the graph about GP and RuBP?

The GP and RuBP one was strange.. I said along the lines that there was less GP as there was less carbon dioxide available to generate the 2 X3C carbon, RuBP is always regenerated, and then i just drew the calvin cycle in it's entirety for ***** and giggles.

The Rabbit and deer one just seemed weird?! like the last question i put that if the deer weren't around acting as a n plagio-climax then succession would happen, meaning that that plant couldn't survive because of the lack of light intensity (abiotic factors) and then that meant that the niche couldn't be filled by the bitterly and so wouldn't survive... So long winded!
Reply 795
The paper was really tough. I was studying so hard to use the knowledge in practise, but it was no way I could you it. All the paper was LOGIC and suggest!!!! Couple of people left the class and said - Where was the Biology? I totally agree with the statement and I am so disappointed that description of the questions were too long, I had to read them twice to realize what is important and where I could use it, as well as construction of the questions were confusing and at some point I was thinking - What the hell do they want me to write in here? Found too much graphs and explanations of those, however, even if graphs are easy, in these paper I found them confusing, like GP and RuBP for 6 marks or Time and Temperature in experiment question for 4 marks. I found the most ridiculous question with use of long thermometer :/ emm. 3 marks. Seriously? Well time issue as well as everything else. Examinators do not have heart of fair what so ever :/
does anyone have the paper?
Original post by avataraang
What did people write for "suggest how useful core body temperature is for TOD" and also what did people write for "apart from vaccines, how else can the pigs who have the virus be treated"

Still can't believe that I didn't finish the paper. :frown:

""apart from vaccines, how else can the pigs who have the virus be treated" which question was that? :confused:
Reply 798
Original post by katelv
The paper was really tough. I was studying so hard to use the knowledge in practise, but it was no way I could you it. All the paper was LOGIC and suggest!!!! Couple of people left the class and said - Where was the Biology? I totally agree with the statement and I am so disappointed that description of the questions were too long, I had to read them twice to realize what is important and where I could use it, as well as construction of the questions were confusing and at some point I was thinking - What the hell do they want me to write in here? Found too much graphs and explanations of those, however, even if graphs are easy, in these paper I found them confusing, like GP and RuBP for 6 marks or Time and Temperature in experiment question for 4 marks. I found the most ridiculous question with use of long thermometer :/ emm. 3 marks. Seriously? Well time issue as well as everything else. Examinators do not have heart of fair what so ever :/

Completely agree! Feel like i wasted my time revising things in detail that werent even needed!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 799
Original post by abbas1994
""apart from vaccines, how else can the pigs who have the virus be treated" which question was that? :confused:

I think the poster must be referring to the question that asked how pigs in group B (the control group) should be treated.

I said they should be brought up in the exact same conditions, giving the example of diet, to control the variables that may affect them developing immunity by methods aside from the vaccine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending