The Student Room Group

Official thread - May/June 2023 Edexcel IAL

Decided to start it because no one has started it.

Resources, study tips etc. can be shared here. Especially for Maths, Physics and Psychology.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good to see other IAL candidates around :smile:
What subjects are you taking?
I'm doing Business, Spanish, German and French.
Finally, someone made a thread for IAL candidates! But I'm doing accounting, economics and business. Sorry I don't do your subjects
Original post by NazifaNawer
Finally, someone made a thread for IAL candidates! But I'm doing accounting, economics and business. Sorry I don't do your subjects

Are you planning to finish these IAL subjects this year?
Original post by justlearning1469
Are you planning to finish these IAL subjects this year?

No. I'm in first year/year 12 so taking AS this May
No. I'm in first year/year 12 so taking AS this May

Ah fair enough, hopefully the exams go well (preferably A)
Ah fair enough, hopefully the exams go well (preferably A)

Thanks! Are you taking AS or A2?
Thanks! Are you taking AS or A2?

A2 basically, just finishing up some modules of math, physics and psychology. Some retakes ofc, some modules didn't go so well
(edited 1 year ago)
A2 basically, just finishing up some modules of math, physics and psychology. Some retakes ofc, some modules didn't go so well

Ohhh. Good luck! Hopefully now you can pass A2 with flying colours:biggrin:
Ohhh. Good luck! Hopefully now you can pass A2 with flying colours:biggrin:

In hindsight, I should've had much better planning, and have gotten a more solid foundation before taking a couple of those exams. That way I wouldn't need to go through the hassle of retaking.
Oh, time management, maturity etc. but then, I can't rewind back time and I don't want to spend another year at school. Who cares if I don't get the highest grades possible, I just want to move on with life, and try to catch up later.
In hindsight, I should've had much better planning, and have gotten a more solid foundation before taking a couple of those exams. That way I wouldn't need to go through the hassle of retaking.
Oh, time management, maturity etc. but then, I can't rewind back time and I don't want to spend another year at school. Who cares if I don't get the highest grades possible, I just want to move on with life, and try to catch up later.

I agree. The only thing that is making me study right now is the fear of retaking and being stuck in school for another year for IAL
I agree. The only thing that is making me study right now is the fear of retaking and being stuck in school for another year for IAL

You're right... I hate retakes, just get the things done rather thaan spend the hassle to retake.

In that case you better study hard and make sure to get those A grades.

Worst comes to worst, you don't need to get the highest grades. Just make sure you're competitive enough to go to a decent university. If you really want to go to a top university, try that for Masters/PhD, work very hard in your undergrad to bridge the gap upwards.

Do I care if I'm not getting all A* grades? No. If I'm good enough for a decent uni then I should move on to the next stage of life, instead of being an anxious perfectionist who won't move on until everything is "perfectly" done.

Small gaps in the foundation can be brushed over in the summer, no need for full marks or even the highest grades. If you're good enough, you're old enough, and can move on.
(edited 1 year ago)
You're right... I hate retakes, just get the things done rather thaan spend the hassle to retake.

In that case you better study hard and make sure to get those A grades.

Worst comes to worst, you don't need to get the highest grades. Just make sure you're competitive enough to go to a decent university. If you really want to go to a top university, try that for Masters/PhD, work very hard in your undergrad to bridge the gap upwards.

Do I care if I'm not getting all A* grades? No. If I'm good enough for a decent uni then I should move on to the next stage of life, instead of being an anxious perfectionist who won't move on until everything is "perfectly" done.

Small gaps in the foundation can be brushed over in the summer, no need for full marks or even the highest grades. If you're good enough, you're old enough, and can move on.

Those are some wise words you just spitted out. I don't need A*. Just getting an A would be enough for me. Or AAB for my subjects.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
What do you think the grade boundaries are gonna be ? Similar to Jan 2023 or pre pandemic level
Original post by gcjdkanj
What do you think the grade boundaries are gonna be ? Similar to Jan 2023 or pre pandemic level

Pre-pandemic, they were planning to bring things back to normal by May/Jun 2023 anyway. You can use 2019 standards as a good proxy, although it can be wrong by a couple marks.

The bottom line is to get the grades you want. For me, if I can get A*AA then great, and if I can get full UMS in the papers I'm taking then even better!
Reply 15
Pre-pandemic, they were planning to bring things back to normal by May/Jun 2023 anyway. You can use 2019 standards as a good proxy, although it can be wrong by a couple marks.

The bottom line is to get the grades you want. For me, if I can get A*AA then great, and if I can get full UMS in the papers I'm taking then even better!

Problem is for A2 the exam for new specification started fully during Oct 2020 which was during pandemic. And they should have brought the grade boundaries back to pre pandemic during Jan 2023. Kinda feels odd to do it during may/june
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by gcjdkanj
Problem is for A2 the exam for new specification started fully during Oct 2020 which was during pandemic. And they should have brought the grade boundaries back to pre pandemic during Jan 2023. Kinda feels odd to do it during may/june

Yeah, but I'm not the exam board. In Jan 2023 the grade boundaries for many paers are similr to pre-ndemi anyway.
Anyone do stats today
Reply 18
Original post by Aeman.Alsade1
Anyone do stats today

I had French
Original post by Aeman.Alsade1
Anyone do stats today

I don't have statistics but I heard from other students it was very easy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending