The Student Room Group

Peking University

Hey chatters,

Is anyone studing next year at PKU in Beijing? I have been offered a place on the public policy masters and just wondered if anyone had any advice about studing in China or if any of you are also going this September?

Cheers!

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Cornish Lawyer
Hey chatters,

Is anyone studing next year at PKU in Beijing? I have been offered a place on the public policy masters and just wondered if anyone had any advice about studing in China or if any of you are also going this September?

Cheers!

:smile:

All i can say is congrats, you got into the Oxbridge of China! Millions of Chinese students have been studying 10 hours of day in school and with tutors all their lives to get rejected by Tsinghua and Peking Universities.
Reply 2
Hey mate I've been accepted into the MPP at Peking Uni as well... I'm actually waiting to see if I can get a Chinese Government Scholarship but if all goes well I'll be off this September.

Can I ask what you are doing at the moment? I'm finishing my undergraduate this semester, but I imagine that many of the students in the course already have professional experience...

Also, how's your Mandarin? I did a minor, but I finished it quite a while a go so it's fairly rusty - I'm hoping my 2(+) years in Beijing will help me improve!
Reply 3
UKmed - thanks although I suspect that I have got in on more of a diversity ticket than on pure merit. I am obviously not a better candidate than millions of chinese students...

Ibtru1 thats really impressive so well done. I'm 33 and have been a lawyer in the UK and a diplomat with the UN so yes I have some experience, but I have zero madarin so a worried about that. Message me your contacts. Lets stay in touch - would be good to know when you plan to fly out etc. Also, my understanding of the government scholarship was that you could not apply for this BEFORE you started, but had to be recommended by the department after the course commenced. Is this correct? In any event its only about £400 for masters students right? Nice to have, but a relatively minor splash in the debt bucket.....
Reply 4
Hi there, I'm applying to PKU for a bachelor degree, I have lived in Beijing for a year studying mandarin.

I'm also trying to get a scholarship from CSC (Chinese Scholarship Council)... as far as I know, you have to apply in your country through the chinese embassy, but you also have the option of applying right in the CSC at Beijing... but this process must be done BEFORE the first semester begins (actually I think in all the countries the deadline is pretty close).

The scholarships you must apply for once you began the semester, are the ones from Beijing City Government and PKU.

Hope it was useful.
Original post by anjunao
Hi there, I'm applying to PKU for a bachelor degree, I have lived in Beijing for a year studying mandarin.

I'm also trying to get a scholarship from CSC (Chinese Scholarship Council)... as far as I know, you have to apply in your country through the chinese embassy, but you also have the option of applying right in the CSC at Beijing... but this process must be done BEFORE the first semester begins (actually I think in all the countries the deadline is pretty close).

The scholarships you must apply for once you began the semester, are the ones from Beijing City Government and PKU.

Hope it was useful.

Hi there! I study in THU(Tsinghua University). It's only a few minutes' walk between PKU and THU. The application for shcolarship from CSC do have to be done before the semester. Wish you luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending