The Student Room Group

Gelifluction vs Solifluction

Hey,

I'm currently studying Cold Environments, looking at Periglacial Processes. I've been looking into Gelifluction and Solifluction as processes of periglaciation. The two terms seem to be used, mostly, without differentiation. However, I am given to understand that there is a difference between the two processes. Apparently gelifluction is more distinct to periglaciation than solifluction? Could anyone explain the difference between the two processes, if at all there is a difference?

Thanks in advance
Gelifluction occurs in areas of permafrost.
Solifluction does not.
Solifluction means the down-slope movement of soil (sol = soil) - caused by the waterlogging of the soil (so increased lubbrication between soil particles).
Gelifluction is a specific TYPE of solifluction - i.e. caused by the active layer (soil) flowing down-slope due to the waterlogging of the soil due to there being frozen soil / rock underneath (which is therefore impermeable).
Reply 3
Solifuction: The flow of soil during a thaw cycle from high to lowerelevation.• Gelifluction: The flow of soil during a thaw cycle from high to lowerelevation during the presence of ground ice or permafrost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending