The Student Room Group

Merchant of Venice Quotes

Hi all,

I know a range of quotes from TMOV, however I do not feel confident that I have good enough quotes for all themes and characters.

Please could everyone share their quotes so we can put together a varied list of quotes for all themes and characters :smile:

Thank you!

Key Characters: Antonio, Bassanio, Portia, Shylock, Jessica

Key Themes: Appearance & Reality, Prejudice, Justice & Mercy, Love and Friendship
Reply 1
Original post by 2021GCSEStudent
Hi all,

I know a range of quotes from TMOV, however I do not feel confident that I have good enough quotes for all themes and characters.

Please could everyone share their quotes so we can put together a varied list of quotes for all themes and characters :smile:

Thank you!

Key Characters: Antonio, Bassanio, Portia, Shylock, Jessica

Key Themes: Appearance & Reality, Prejudice, Justice & Mercy, Love and Friendship

Well, I did MOV last year, so I'll try to help.

Quotes:
1. "In sooth I know not why I am so sad. It wearies me" - First line, but significant because Antonio's sadness continues to remain unresolved until the end of the play. - Antonio
2. "There where your argosies with portly sail Like signors and rich burghers on the flood, Or as it were pageants of the sea" - simile - Salarino
3. "Now by two-headed Janus, Nature hath framed strange fellows in her time, Some that will evermore peep through their eyes, And laugh like parrots at a bagpiper; others of such vinegar aspect that they'll not show their teeth in way of a smile" - Applies to Appearance vs. Reality. - Solanio
4. "I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano: A stage where every man must play his part, and mine a sad one" - Metaphorical, applies to appearance vs reality theme; it explains that the world is false. Also look at 5, which echoes the same point.
5. "There are a sort of men whose visages Do cream and mantle like a standing pond, And do a wilful stillness entertain, With purpose dressed in opinion Of wisdom, gravity, profound conceit, As who should say, 'I am Sir Oracle, And when I ope my lips, let no dog bark!' O my Antonio, I do know of these That therefore are only reputed wise For saying nothing; when I am sure If they should speak, would almost damn the ears Which, hearing them, would call their brothers fools." - Gratiano makes fun of those who keep quiet and pretend to be wise, although they may not be; in line with the concept of appearance vs reality which the characters dwell on. It seems to somewhat echo the phrase, "Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you a fool, Than to open your mouth and prove it".
6. "Gratiano speaks a great deal of nothing" - Bassanio; the fact that Gratiano seems to be wise but Bassanio does not think so echoes the theme of appearance vs reality.
7. "In Belmont, there is a lady richly left, And she is fair, and - fairer than the word - of wondrous virtues." - This shows another theme, of money vs. love. It would seem that Bassanio is getting both, but it is left unclear as to whether or not Bassanio loves Portia.
8. "the will of a living daughter curbed by the will of a dead father" - Appearance vs. reality, as to its misleading appearance; it would seem that this would make Portia more dependent, but we note later that Portia is quite independent on her own. She also seems to honour her father, by abiding by his wishes, despite her language.
9. "Yes, yes, it was Bassanio - as I think so was he called" - Portia seems quite wise, but we realise that she has already fallen for a man who wants her for money. Maybe weaker in argument, but this shows appearance vs reality in some form.
10. "How like a fawning publican he looks" - Shylock seems to compare Antonio to a slave of Bassanio, with exaggerated flattery and devotion, like a dog (personally, I love dogs, but to Shylock, he believes that it is a Jewish insult to be called such).
11. "Thrift is blessing if men steal it not" - It would seem that this view applies to both, Shylock's Jewish faith, and his profit, although the phrase, "if men steal it not" seems to apply to the xenophobic reactions and actions Christians, like Antonio, have taken against him, because he is a Jew.
12. "In terms of choice I am not solely led by maiden's eyes" - Portia says this, but earlier on, she compared the colour of the skin of the Prince of Morocco to "the complexion of the devil". This is another case of appearance vs reality. She also doesn't consider the Prince of Morocco, and doesn't seem to like him for any reason past his complexion.
13. "Talk not of Master Lancelot, father, for the young gentleman... is indeed deceased, or... gone to heaven". Not what it seems, for it is the supposed dead person who is talking to his father. Another example of appearance vs reality.
14. "Beshrew me but I love her heartily. For she is wise, if I can judge her, And fair she is, if that mine eyes be true..." Note the usage of "if" which seems to suggest that, despite the supposed love Lorenzo holds for Jessica, he does not entirely trust her.
15. "All that glisters is not gold" - One of the most remembered lines of the play. After Morocco's trial, its would seem that he did not succeed, and this phrase suggests that treasure is not always that of the wealthy, or that "money cannot buy everything"; ie. the happiest man may not be the richest.
16. "Too long a pause for that which you find there" - Portia's attitudes seem very self-centred. She doesn't seem to care about anyone else's feelings except her own. A bit of characterisation.
17. "Thus hath the candle singed the moth" - It would seem that she is comparing Arragon to an insect, suggesting her own arrogant attitude.
18. "If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance by Christian example? Why, revenge!" - The only line defining Shylock's actions. Also read before this, when Shylock talks about "If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that", appealing to their common humanity, after years of having been done wrongly.
19. "And yet a maiden hath no tongue but thought" - Appearance vs reality. Portia seems to suggest that women would not talk, or be upfront about anything, although she admirably defies this rule through her confident behaviour.
20. "The world is still deceived by ornament" - Appearance vs reality; Bassanio echoes the same theme, and elaborates.
21. "For wooing here until I sweat again, And swearing till my very roof was dry, With oaths of love" - Though it seems that Gratiano was finding it difficult to win Nerissa's love, Nerissa does not even get a chance to speak about it. Also, note the fact that the usually sensible Nerissa has fallen for Gratiano.
22. "For never shall you lie by Portia's side with an unquiet soul" - Portia seems to truly love Bassanio, although, again, we note how Bassanio is essentially using Portia for money.
23. "I'll have my bond; I will not hear thee speak; I'll have my bond and therefore speak no more. I'll not be made a soft and dull-eyed fool, To shake the head, sigh, and yield..." - Shylock's anger is speaking for him; Shakespeare seems to portray Shylock as a man without merciful qualities, as inhumane.
24. "Thou unfeeling man" - Note that prejudice is present throughout the play in the many insults which Shylock is exposed to, which force him to become alone, perhaps because of the ways Venetian society was structured at the time.
25. "Quality of mercy" - Portia repeats this many times over, trying to convince Shylock to let the case go. However, Shylock is eager for revenge.
26. "One drop of Christian blood" - Outlines the undergoing xenophobic attitudes beneath the play. How the Christian is considered more valuable than the Jew, which led to the conflict in the first place.

I have more notes, if you want, but I thought that I would just write the most important bits. Whew, this took a while, hope it helps. Let me know if there is a specific part of the play which you need more notes for.
Reply 2
heyyy bit late but if its alright with u id like some mov notes!!!
Original post by Ira :)
Well, I did MOV last year, so I'll try to help.
Quotes:
1. "In sooth I know not why I am so sad. It wearies me" - First line, but significant because Antonio's sadness continues to remain unresolved until the end of the play. - Antonio
2. "There where your argosies with portly sail Like signors and rich burghers on the flood, Or as it were pageants of the sea" - simile - Salarino
3. "Now by two-headed Janus, Nature hath framed strange fellows in her time, Some that will evermore peep through their eyes, And laugh like parrots at a bagpiper; others of such vinegar aspect that they'll not show their teeth in way of a smile" - Applies to Appearance vs. Reality. - Solanio
4. "I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano: A stage where every man must play his part, and mine a sad one" - Metaphorical, applies to appearance vs reality theme; it explains that the world is false. Also look at 5, which echoes the same point.
5. "There are a sort of men whose visages Do cream and mantle like a standing pond, And do a wilful stillness entertain, With purpose dressed in opinion Of wisdom, gravity, profound conceit, As who should say, 'I am Sir Oracle, And when I ope my lips, let no dog bark!' O my Antonio, I do know of these That therefore are only reputed wise For saying nothing; when I am sure If they should speak, would almost damn the ears Which, hearing them, would call their brothers fools." - Gratiano makes fun of those who keep quiet and pretend to be wise, although they may not be; in line with the concept of appearance vs reality which the characters dwell on. It seems to somewhat echo the phrase, "Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you a fool, Than to open your mouth and prove it".
6. "Gratiano speaks a great deal of nothing" - Bassanio; the fact that Gratiano seems to be wise but Bassanio does not think so echoes the theme of appearance vs reality.
7. "In Belmont, there is a lady richly left, And she is fair, and - fairer than the word - of wondrous virtues." - This shows another theme, of money vs. love. It would seem that Bassanio is getting both, but it is left unclear as to whether or not Bassanio loves Portia.
8. "the will of a living daughter curbed by the will of a dead father" - Appearance vs. reality, as to its misleading appearance; it would seem that this would make Portia more dependent, but we note later that Portia is quite independent on her own. She also seems to honour her father, by abiding by his wishes, despite her language.
9. "Yes, yes, it was Bassanio - as I think so was he called" - Portia seems quite wise, but we realise that she has already fallen for a man who wants her for money. Maybe weaker in argument, but this shows appearance vs reality in some form.
10. "How like a fawning publican he looks" - Shylock seems to compare Antonio to a slave of Bassanio, with exaggerated flattery and devotion, like a dog (personally, I love dogs, but to Shylock, he believes that it is a Jewish insult to be called such).
11. "Thrift is blessing if men steal it not" - It would seem that this view applies to both, Shylock's Jewish faith, and his profit, although the phrase, "if men steal it not" seems to apply to the xenophobic reactions and actions Christians, like Antonio, have taken against him, because he is a Jew.
12. "In terms of choice I am not solely led by maiden's eyes" - Portia says this, but earlier on, she compared the colour of the skin of the Prince of Morocco to "the complexion of the devil". This is another case of appearance vs reality. She also doesn't consider the Prince of Morocco, and doesn't seem to like him for any reason past his complexion.
13. "Talk not of Master Lancelot, father, for the young gentleman... is indeed deceased, or... gone to heaven". Not what it seems, for it is the supposed dead person who is talking to his father. Another example of appearance vs reality.
14. "Beshrew me but I love her heartily. For she is wise, if I can judge her, And fair she is, if that mine eyes be true..." Note the usage of "if" which seems to suggest that, despite the supposed love Lorenzo holds for Jessica, he does not entirely trust her.
15. "All that glisters is not gold" - One of the most remembered lines of the play. After Morocco's trial, its would seem that he did not succeed, and this phrase suggests that treasure is not always that of the wealthy, or that "money cannot buy everything"; ie. the happiest man may not be the richest.
16. "Too long a pause for that which you find there" - Portia's attitudes seem very self-centred. She doesn't seem to care about anyone else's feelings except her own. A bit of characterisation.
17. "Thus hath the candle singed the moth" - It would seem that she is comparing Arragon to an insect, suggesting her own arrogant attitude.
18. "If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance by Christian example? Why, revenge!" - The only line defining Shylock's actions. Also read before this, when Shylock talks about "If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that", appealing to their common humanity, after years of having been done wrongly.
19. "And yet a maiden hath no tongue but thought" - Appearance vs reality. Portia seems to suggest that women would not talk, or be upfront about anything, although she admirably defies this rule through her confident behaviour.
20. "The world is still deceived by ornament" - Appearance vs reality; Bassanio echoes the same theme, and elaborates.
21. "For wooing here until I sweat again, And swearing till my very roof was dry, With oaths of love" - Though it seems that Gratiano was finding it difficult to win Nerissa's love, Nerissa does not even get a chance to speak about it. Also, note the fact that the usually sensible Nerissa has fallen for Gratiano.
22. "For never shall you lie by Portia's side with an unquiet soul" - Portia seems to truly love Bassanio, although, again, we note how Bassanio is essentially using Portia for money.
23. "I'll have my bond; I will not hear thee speak; I'll have my bond and therefore speak no more. I'll not be made a soft and dull-eyed fool, To shake the head, sigh, and yield..." - Shylock's anger is speaking for him; Shakespeare seems to portray Shylock as a man without merciful qualities, as inhumane.
24. "Thou unfeeling man" - Note that prejudice is present throughout the play in the many insults which Shylock is exposed to, which force him to become alone, perhaps because of the ways Venetian society was structured at the time.
25. "Quality of mercy" - Portia repeats this many times over, trying to convince Shylock to let the case go. However, Shylock is eager for revenge.
26. "One drop of Christian blood" - Outlines the undergoing xenophobic attitudes beneath the play. How the Christian is considered more valuable than the Jew, which led to the conflict in the first place.
I have more notes, if you want, but I thought that I would just write the most important bits. Whew, this took a while, hope it helps. Let me know if there is a specific part of the play which you need more notes for.

that is so helpful thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending