The Student Room Group

Chemistry OCR AS F321 Atoms, Bonds and Groups May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalie21
Correct :biggrin:

although for formation of ozone i'd put it as O2 + O goes to O3 (with reversible eq arrow)

Your turn :smile:

What do you understand by the term Nucleophile and in which mechnaism is this occur?
Original post by scorpio22
finally finshed homework.i can join in:biggrin:

good :wink: was my answers correct ?
Original post by otrivine
good :wink: was my answers correct ?

you were:biggrin:
Reply 383
What do you understand by the term Nucleophile and in which mechnaism is this occur?

An atom or molecule that contains an electron pair that it can donate to form a covalent bond.

Nucleophilic substitution (e.g. the hydrolysis of halogenoalkanes).

Next question:

How can you track the differences in rate of reaction between halogenoalkanes containing iodine and bromine, and what observations you would expect to see.

it is an electron pair donor e.g : o-h

it is used in nucleophillic substitution

ch3ch2cl + oh---->ch3ch2oh + cl-
An atom or molecule that contains an electron pair that it can donate to form a covalent bond.

Next question:

How can you track the differences in rate of reaction between halogenoalkanes containing iodine and bromine, and what observations you would expect to see.

Iodine has a faster reaction with less than than Br as it has a weaker bond enthalphy requring less energy to overcome.
im not sure about the observation.would it be that br is cream and I is yellow?

Next question:

you can use AGNO3 to iodine and bromine which for iodine it forms a yellow ppt and bromine cream ppt and C-I bond is the weakest as less energy is needed to break the bond and therefore has the fastest rate of reaction.
it is an electron pair donor e.g : o-h

it is used in nucleophillic substitution

ch3ch2cl + oh---->ch3ch2oh + cl-

correct well done :wink: my turn
correct well done :wink: my turn

name and explain 3 process into petrochemical.give examples if needed

sorry have not revised this part in which chapter is this?
sorry have not revised this part in which chapter is this?

pg 120-121
its catalytic cracking

branching/isomerism

cyclic
Reply 391
Iodine has a faster reaction with less than than Br as it has a weaker bond enthalphy requring less energy to overcome.
im not sure about the observation.would it be that br is cream and I is yellow?

See otrivine's answer :smile:

you can use AGNO3 to iodine and bromine which for iodine it forms a yellow ppt and bromine cream ppt and C-I bond is the weakest as less energy is needed to break the bond and therefore has the fastest rate of reaction.

Yeah exactly and the yellow ppt would appear more quickly than the cream ppt would.

Never heard of this?
See otrivine's answer :smile:

Yeah exactly and the yellow ppt would appear more quickly than the cream ppt would.

Never heard of this?

yes me too i got worried i didnt hear of this from the book as well
Reply 393
yes me too i got worried i didnt hear of this from the book as well

I know those equations but never heard of that generic name for them :/
pg 120-121
its catalytic cracking

branching/isomerism

cyclic

next question please mate 2 more
Some questions for you guys :smile: Sorry if they are worded awfully, rushed :/
These questions are more to do with understanding and so many of these might not be in the spec :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

EDIT: my spelling and sentence structure is awful lol
Fractional distillation: crude oil made of many different lengths of hydrocarbons and is pumped into a fractionating column and separated into different fractions that have similar lengths and boiling points.

Catalytic cracking: longer chained alkanes make insufficient fuels as they tend to suffer from incomplete combustion and they are also produced from fractional distillation, so they are passed over a zeolite catalyst and cracke down into smaller chained alkanes (used as fuel) and alkenes (used as feedstock)

Isomerisation: branched chains have lower boiling points than straight chains and so are added to fuel to help it burn more effciently, straight chains from crude oil are converted into branched chain alkanes by isomerisation

Reforming: to form cyclics hydrogen is by product
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 397
Woah thank you for posting all these questions! I've spoilered my answers so others can answer too! Thank you :biggrin:

Spoiler

Woah thank you for posting all these questions! I've spoilered my answers so others can answer too! Thank you :biggrin:

Spoiler

All correct just add few pointers :smile:
Stuff about thermodynamics is to help in terms of understanding why reactions occur in exo- or endo- direction, hope this helps :smile:

Spoiler

STABILITY ISN'T IN THE SPECIFICATION WAS USING MY TEACHERS NOTES TO MAKE THE QUESTIONS, JUST A WAY FOR UNDERSTANDING THE 2ND PART OF THE UNIT, SORRY
(edited 12 years ago)
Phew, i've memorised all of my notes I guess, my teacher made them for the whole class, strictly towards the syllabus, the extra stuff is for understanding purposes he dished in, done the question packs and now going to just do past papers till exam day :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending