The Student Room Group

Chemistry OCR AS F321 Atoms, Bonds and Groups May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SidM
Hey Everyone,
how did you guys find the paper today??? Any unofficial mark schemes going up?

I thought it was quite tricky, some of the questions were quite weird, but i do not think it was as hard as january
i know i made a really stupid mistake already though about nh4+ and cl- ions dot and cross! I'm so annoyed!!! :frown:

did ppl get magnesium??:smile:
Reply 581
I thought it was alright but made so many silly mistakes gahhhh also what did everyone put for the acid for sr(oh)2 question? I put H2SO4 but one of my friend was like it's h2so3?
Reply 582
Original post by arnaskam
Hey guys,

I found this paper pretty easy, however there were some question were I was wrong. Does anyone know the very last question where they asked what type of reaction was? I wrote its a decomposition however it is thermal decomposition. do you guys know if I will get the mark for just decomposition? thanks!

In the previous papers it said that you had mention the thermal part for thermal decomposition....sorry to break it to you :frown:
the nh4cl one was so annoying! tricked you into thinking it was covalent bonding by asking about dative bonds!
Original post by chiny94
I thought it was alright but made so many silly mistakes gahhhh also what did everyone put for the acid for sr(oh)2 question? I put H2SO4 but one of my friend was like it's h2so3?

i put h2so4 as well, but i have a feeling actually it might be h2so3 because i couldn't work out how you would balance it if it was h2so4 which kinda confused me in the paper...ahhhh :frown:
Original post by Lilyhannah
the nh4cl one was so annoying! tricked you into thinking it was covalent bonding by asking about dative bonds!

yes omg, I'm so stupid i did covalent bonding and not ionic!!! i realised only after my time was up. eurrrghhh :frown:
Reply 586
Original post by ABCstudent
i put h2so4 as well, but i have a feeling actually it might be h2so3 because i couldn't work out how you would balance it if it was h2so4 which kinda confused me in the paper...ahhhh :frown:

Yeah I agree I tried to balance it but just couldn't ! Also I did covalent as well ! So annoyed that I made that mistake :frown:
Reply 587
how did you guys find it?
Ahh! :eek: It was IONIC! i spent like 3 minutes drawing it out and including the dative bonds!
Plus one of the question asked what was the oxidation number of H2N2O3? I put +4... but i got really confused! :confused:

And the stupid stupid stupid group 2 metal guessing thing! :angry::angry::angry:

But a part from that it wasn't too bad for now, but TSR has a tendency to make me feel worse about myself! So many stupid little mistakes! :angry:
BTW it was H2S03
Reply 590
Was the answer to the mole 2nd to last question:
and
Magnesium??????????
Original post by shunn
Was the answer to the mole 2nd to last question:
and
Magnesium??????????

pretty sure it was 24.3 and magnesium
Reply 592
I thought the paper was a bit tricky, so scared :frown:
what do we think grade boundaries shall be???
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 593
Original post by Lilyhannah
pretty sure it was 24.3 and magnesium

you were supposed to subtract the cl2 after u got the answer
Reply 594
Original post by SidM
I thought the paper was a bit tricky, so scared :frown:
what do we think grade boundaries shall be???

i think possible high, dont think it was as difficult as jan paper. But there is no way of telling, just have to wait and see
Reply 595
what did everyone get for the water of crystallisation
Reply 596
what you wrote in the question where they asked why S8 cannot have any other intermolecular forces except van der walls'? :smile:
Reply 597
Original post by FishFinger_Custard
Ahh! :eek: It was IONIC! i spent like 3 minutes drawing it out and including the dative bonds!
Plus one of the question asked what was the oxidation number of H2N2O3? I put +4... but i got really confused! :confused:

And the stupid stupid stupid group 2 metal guessing thing! :angry::angry::angry:

But a part from that it wasn't too bad for now, but TSR has a tendency to make me feel worse about myself! So many stupid little mistakes! :angry:

I got +4 for the oxidation states thing , but i think i completely messed my water of crystallisation :s-smilie:
Original post by ss2012
you were supposed to subtract the cl2 after u got the answer

yeah you had to state the mr of the group 2 metal, which was 24.3
Reply 599
Original post by arnaskam
what you wrote in the question where they asked why S8 cannot have any other intermolecular forces except van der walls'? :smile:

i said cz it hasnt got fon so it cant have hydrogen bonding , and it needs to have difference in electronegativity to have dipole dipole

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending