The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by otrivine
i want to explain but you do not mention the number of marks so if u say (5) then i give u five points

I should have given you the marks. I am sorry to say this but the one about opportunistic infection does not worth any mark even if it was for a mark.
Reply 781
Original post by Sarabande
That's what malnutrition is... a deficiency or oversufficiency in your diet.

oh ok then so any thing ya. Like anemia, rickets, night blindness etc.
Name 4 characteristics associated with Fungi (4)

How does speciation occur? (5) QWC

What is variation? (2)
Original post by AS01
you have to be specific here. Mention about how it cannot make T killer cells, B cells or memory cells. No effector B cells so no antibodies formed.

Does HIV only effect the T-helper?
Original post by AS01
I should have given you the marks. I am sorry to say this but the one about opportunistic infection does not worth any mark even if it was for a mark.

but i am sure is right cause u said the effect if no t helper cells and if i remeber correctly from the book saying can cause opportunistic infections on page 163
Reply 785
Original post by Future_Dr
Does HIV only effect the T-helper?

ya it does because its the only cell that initiates immune response so it attacks the main component. really cruel of it :biggrin:

What is variation? (2)

1) - walls made of chitin
- consisits of mycleium hyphae
- eukaryotes
- breakdown dead organic matters digests them

2) geographical isolation
-separation
-allopatric
-sympatric
-mutation
- reproductive barrier
3) differences within species

What is variation? (2)

Four characteristic of fungi are that they are eukaryotic, they have cell walls made of chitin, are hetrotrophic and often have flagellem.

Speciation- is that when a species is seperated and becomes a different species? Is it to do with evolution?

Variation occurs between individuals of the same species due to both genetic or enviromental?
Reply 788
but i am sure is right cause u said the effect if no t helper cells and if i remeber correctly from the book saying can cause opportunistic infections on page 163

Oh fine then. This question was from a paper and it did not mention anything about that point so just saying. Better to keep it as your backup point rather than one of the main point.:biggrin:

which book is that?
Original post by AS01
Oh fine then. This question was from a paper and it did not mention anything about that point so just saying. Better to keep it as your backup point rather than one of the main point.:biggrin:

ok :wink: thanks
Give the role of macrophages(3)
Reply 791
does anyone have any guesses to what might come up? did it in jan and there was nothing on enzymess ergh!
which book is that?

the ocr text book
1) - walls made of chitin
- consisits of mycleium hyphae
- eukaryotes
- breakdown dead organic matters digests them

2) geographical isolation
-separation
-allopatric
-sympatric
-mutation
- reproductive barrier
3) differences within species

1. 4/4. The word for breaking down dead organic matter is saprophytic.

2. 4/5. You got the QWC for spelling sympatric and allopatric correctly. You didn't mention that there are different selection pressures for the species and they diverge into new species.

3. 1/2. It was 2 marks. Differences in genes and physical appearance within a species.
Guys do we do "primary succession" on this unit? or am just confusing this with unit 5
1. 4/4. The word for breaking down dead organic matter is saprophytic.

2. 4/5. You got the QWC for spelling sympatric and allopatric correctly. You didn't mention that there are different selection pressures for the species and they diverge into new species.

3. 1/2. It was 2 marks. Differences in genes and physical appearance within a species.

for part 3 i should get 2 marks cause my definition is exactly the same as that in the jan 2012 paper
Four characteristic of fungi are that they are eukaryotic, they have cell walls made of chitin, are hetrotrophic and often have flagellem.

Speciation- is that when a species is seperated and becomes a different species? Is it to do with evolution?

Variation occurs between individuals of the same species due to both genetic or enviromental?

1. 3/4. Fungi are heterotrophic (better to say they are saprophytic) and they do not have flagella (they have hyphae)

2. 1/5. Yes it is to do with evolution xD. Read otrivine's answer.

3. 2/2

edit: heterotrophic is correct
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 797

What is variation? (2)

fungi
-saprophytic nutrition
-multinucleated
-eukaryotic
Speciation
-by geographical
if animal of same species are separated by any geographical reason then over time it make the species as two different species and they cannot interbreed successfully
-Sympatric
By any thing other than geographical barrier that prevents them from breeding so they become as two different species. it can be due to reproductive barrier.
variation- difference within species
Original post by arvin_infinity
Guys do we do "primary succession" on this unit? or am just confusing this with unit 5

salam khobi :wink: no is unit 5
for part 3 i should get 2 marks cause my definition is exactly the same as that in the jan 2012 paper

2 marks then. Pretty pathetic definition for 2 marks though to be honest lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending