The Student Room Group

Classical Civilisation AS OCR

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
any guesses on what might be on the odyssey paper? I really hope that Xenia will be an essay question..!
Book 20 nothing interesting happens!!!!! Any predictions on essay questions? I have a feeling one will be on Telemachus or Penelope and maybe on the role of the gods?
Reply 62
Does anyone know actually WHY Homer uses 'last-first'/ hysteron-proteron? What is the effect of this technique?
Reply 63
How did everyone find it? I did the Cyclops question and to what extent does the Odyssey show the importance of xenia in Homeric society. I thought it was a good exam :smile:
Original post by viclupa1
How did everyone find it? I did the Cyclops question and to what extent does the Odyssey show the importance of xenia in Homeric society. I thought it was a good exam :smile:

...I did 1 and 5.
...I felt like I was repeating in 1a, 1c and 5...except the later questions were more detailed, related and linked to the question. I really wish I had more time. As a paper, it's reasonable...that's why I'm quite annoyed. :frown:
The grade boundaries for this paper is ridiculous compared to Greek Tragedy.

...but at least that's all AS exams done. I'll just bring it harder in the 'big boys', the A2 exams, where "A's" are a must.
Original post by BLu_REdEmTiON
...I did 1 and 5.
...I felt like I was repeating in 1a, 1c and 5...except the later questions were more detailed, related and linked to the question. I really wish I had more time. As a paper, it's reasonable...that's why I'm quite annoyed. :frown:

...but at least that's all AS exams done. I'll just bring it harder in the 'big boys', the A2 exams, where "A's" are a must.

how do you know what the grade boundaries are?
Original post by KellySapphire
how do you know what the grade boundaries are?

...for this particular paper...I don't.
...but based on the past papers, Odyssey is immensly higher than Greek Tragedy. What's even more deep is that you can only sit these exams in the summer.
What did you guys write about for the cyclops part c and Xenia questions?
^

Cyclops Part C I didn't go much into detail about.. I ran outta time so I had to go straight to the essay. And the most detail I put about was about the Cyclops -___- Basically I said how he represented barbaric ungreek values and uncivilised behaviour.. so contributes to the plot and shows us the worst kind of character.. something along those lines though I hope it was more coherent -.-^ then i went on to talk about Circe and her way of living.. oh gosh just trying to recall it is making me facepalm.

For the xenia question I first started with saying that..
Although the Odyssey is concerned with tales of epic it indirectly shows us the importance of xenia.. Then I outlined what it was.
Then I went on to talk about the Phaeacians, how they were blessed because of being obedient to xenia. Backed up with a quote went into analysis etc.
Then mentioned Menelaus and Helen, how they were blessed by the gods with enormous riches and how this is linked to how they obey xenia and respect the gods.. etc
Then contrasted it against how the Suitors abuse xenia and eventually get punished by this and how this is justified.
<Insert quick conclusion when the examiner was saying "Put your pens down time is up!">
Really hope my essay can save me >< I could've written so much more too, didn't even get to mention how the phaeacians were punished for xenia which would've been a great point to use as contrast

Original post by BLu_REdEmTiON
...I did 1 and 5.

I feel the same! The paper was too nice.. So the grade boundaries will be killer. Drat!
Reply 69
Original post by Twilight_Star
^

Cyclops Part C I didn't go much into detail about.. I ran outta time so I had to go straight to the essay. And the most detail I put about was about the Cyclops -___- Basically I said how he represented barbaric ungreek values and uncivilised behaviour.. so contributes to the plot and shows us the worst kind of character.. something along those lines though I hope it was more coherent -.-^ then i went on to talk about Circe and her way of living.. oh gosh just trying to recall it is making me facepalm.

For the xenia question I first started with saying that..
Although the Odyssey is concerned with tales of epic it indirectly shows us the importance of xenia.. Then I outlined what it was.
Then I went on to talk about the Phaeacians, how they were blessed because of being obedient to xenia. Backed up with a quote went into analysis etc.
Then mentioned Menelaus and Helen, how they were blessed by the gods with enormous riches and how this is linked to how they obey xenia and respect the gods.. etc
Then contrasted it against how the Suitors abuse xenia and eventually get punished by this and how this is justified.
<Insert quick conclusion when the examiner was saying "Put your pens down time is up!">
Really hope my essay can save me >< I could've written so much more too, didn't even get to mention how the phaeacians were punished for xenia which would've been a great point to use as contrast

I feel the same! The paper was too nice.. So the grade boundaries will be killer. Drat!

I wrote basically the same for the xenia question, but I also included that some of the characters do not get punished for committing anti-xenia (e.g the Cyclops, Heracles and Iphitus - but I forgot his name in the exam so I called him 'the man who gave Odysseus the bow')which taints the importance of xenia the Odyssey is trying to put across. Also I talked about how xenia heightens the reputation of those who show proper xenia (the Phaeacians) and if the host wants their kleos to be raised across the land, they would ensure to show the proper xenia to their guests.
For the supernatural question for Cyclops, I wrote about how the encounters with supernatural monsters adds excitement in the epic (Scylla and Charybdis) and elevates Odysseus' heroic status and I yabbered about the way Homer described them in such detail that it felt as if the audience were witnessing them with their own eyes and scenes like these made the Odyssey more memorable, which further adds to the epic's success.

Since the grade boundaries are going to be high, I really hope I put my point across to the examiners because at some points when I was scribbling, I felt like I wasn't making any sense :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh geez I feel so scared now! I totally forgot about those points and now when I look back at my part c question I definitely didn't develop enough.. Fml. ;-; I'm gonna have to ace my A2s now.. Sucks I need an A overall and I dunno if I'll get it after this! >:
oh dear! I don't think I did very well after hearing that!!! for the part c, I wrote about how the gods show their dominance over mortals and how the monsters show how he has to battle against them or something :s-smilie: and for the essay on xenia I outlined what it was, spoke about the Phaecians, Nausicaa, Penelope and Eumaeus and how they show how civilised homeric society is, and how its out of respect to zeus eg Calypso giving Hermes Ambrosia and Nectar out of respect even though his news was hinted to be bad.. and then spoke about how Cyclops presents the antithesis of Xenia and how Circe abuses and the suitors or something,, then quick conclusion :s-smilie: Quite hard questions this year! I kinda wish I picked the third essay on which half I like more!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending