The Student Room Group

Classical Civilisation Notes

Hey, Ive recently decided to do the Classical Civilisation A-level Fast track this year. Since im a privat candidate I don't have direct access to a teacher and their notes, so I wanted to ask here if anyone has done/is doing the A-level and could share their notes with me? Or maybe someone knows a Website where I could get notes from? Anything would help
Im doing the Odyssey, the Aeneid, Greek religion and Greek theatre.
Thanks in Advance

Scroll to see replies

i'd love to help, and i could probably get my teacher's informal advice as there is only four of us. I am predicted an A and am doing the same modules as you.
Reply 2
Original post by dylanellis098
i'd love to help, and i could probably get my teacher's informal advice as there is only four of us. I am predicted an A and am doing the same modules as you.

Hey, that would be awesome, thanks alot:smile:
Original post by miri23

ill get back to u asap
Original post by miri23

read. a lot. not just the stuff that is prescribed, but different types of comedies and myths etc. lots of things to build up both your knowledge of antiquity, but also you need extra reading to get top marks. I can also send you my A-A* exam style question responses if that would help.
Reply 5
read. a lot. not just the stuff that is prescribed, but different types of comedies and myths etc. lots of things to build up both your knowledge of antiquity, but also you need extra reading to get top marks. I can also send you my A-A* exam style question responses if that would help.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Ive got some books already but im open to recommendations. And yes, exam responses would help immensely. I will msg you privately.

Hi both,

I'm currently helping another private candidate with their Classics A-Level, and similarly to the OP, I'm finding limited resources online. However, I do have the suggested textbooks, which are very helpful. These can be found here: https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/classical-civilisation-h008-h408-from-2017/textbooks/

Dylan, if I PM you, would you mind sending me your exam style question responses for Odyssey/Aeneid/Greek Theatre please?
Original post by miri23
Hey, Ive recently decided to do the Classical Civilisation A-level Fast track this year. Since im a privat candidate I don't have direct access to a teacher and their notes, so I wanted to ask here if anyone has done/is doing the A-level and could share their notes with me? Or maybe someone knows a Website where I could get notes from? Anything would help
Im doing the Odyssey, the Aeneid, Greek religion and Greek theatre.
Thanks in Advance

Hii,
I'm just about to start teaching myself A Level Classical Civilisations too.

I'm doing the same modules as you guys I think (The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Greek Theatre & Greek Religion) but i'm not too sure how to get started and structure my lessons. I've got the textbooks the specification recommends, but, like @miri23, i'm a private candidate so I don't have access to a teacher or notes and i'm not too sure if the textbooks will be enough (i'm aiming for an A).

I would really appreciate any help, it would be great to talk to somebody also taking the subject.
(I also take A Level History, English Literature and Biology :smile: )
Original post by Kelseyy<3
Hii,
I'm just about to start teaching myself A Level Classical Civilisations too.

I'm doing the same modules as you guys I think (The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Greek Theatre & Greek Religion) but i'm not too sure how to get started and structure my lessons. I've got the textbooks the specification recommends, but, like @miri23, i'm a private candidate so I don't have access to a teacher or notes and i'm not too sure if the textbooks will be enough (i'm aiming for an A).

I would really appreciate any help, it would be great to talk to somebody also taking the subject.
(I also take A Level History, English Literature and Biology :smile: )

Hi Kelsey,

I'm a private tutor and would be happy to help you as I have also been helping another private candidate this year, and I completed my teacher training in a school last year where I also spent some time teaching Classical Civilisation.

If this is something you might be interested in, please feel free to PM me :smile:

do you mind sending me the edam style questions too?
Anychance you would be happy to post them on the stream? would be extremely helpfull I'm sure for everyone seeing as how bad the ocr are at giving advice for exemplar work
I'm about to embark on teaching myself as a private candidate, so would very much appreciate any suggestions on resources!

I wonder whether the free online course (and resources) called "the ancient Greek hero in 24 hours" would be useful towards A Level Classical Civilisations? Ages back I signed up when it was available on EdX but was unable to finish at the time. The course is archived now, but it's still possible to access the resources and ebook.
I've just finished year 13, and predicted an A* in Classical Civilisation. If anyone wants any notes / essays / advice or anything really I would be happy to help.
Hi,
Any resources (Notes/essays e.t.c) would be really appreciated. I’m a Home-ed student, so while i love the subject (I wish i’d of found the subject sooner - a mashup of Literature AND History!), i don’t have access to a teacher so it’s usually just me, my textbook and google meaning i’m not always sure that i’m doing the right thing haha.
I’ve finished The Odyssey Unit and am now moving onto the Greek Theatre Unit. For The Odyssey, I annotated each book, found some youtube videos and used the spec and textbook to fill in any gaps while also providing some context. Would you recommend I take a similar approach to study Greek Theatre?
Thank you very kindly, Kelsey :smile:
Original post by user9.60
I've just finished year 13, and predicted an A* in Classical Civilisation. If anyone wants any notes / essays / advice or anything really I would be happy to help.

Hi could you send me these A-A* responses please!

Hi, please could you send me notes and essays? I have a few questions:
Whats your advice on incorporating secondary scholars in essays?
What quotes did you remember?
More generally, how do you structure your essays?
Thanks!

if possible please send your notes and essays!
Original post by spongee
if possible please send your notes and essays!

yes pleasee!

hi do you still have ur notes by any chance!:smile:

If you still have your notes, may I also have access to them please? I am also a private candidate, it would be much appreciated c:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending