The Student Room Group

A-Level: Art, Classical Civilisation, History of Art... good or bad selection?

Has anyone got experience with doing these subjects at A-Level, and can tell me how they fun/boring they were, how time consuming they were, how/if they worked together, and other general things about them? I'd be grateful for any advice or information, or just hearing how you guys found them (especially if you did all three!). In fact, even general sixth form life advice would be appreciated.

I'm currently in year 11 so will soon be going into sixth form and now that I think about it, I am definitely procrastinating revision for my GCSEs by stressing about my A-level options and writing this post. Anyway: I am thinking of going into some sort of creative career - film/photography/art-ish... I'm not too clear on what I want to do with my life, but if anything, I think it will probably be in that sort of direction.

When I have told people what A-levels I am thinking of doing (Art, History of Art, Classical Civilisation), I have had some responses like "oh, lucky. Those are nice, chilled A-levels", and also my grandfather told me they will not help get me any kind of job, and then he asked me why I wasn't doing any of the "hard subjects".

Are they really considered easy, laid-back subjects? I know that people tend to think art A-Level is easier than it actually is, but what about Classical Civilisation and History of Art A-level?
My daughter does Art and Classical Civilisation (and English Language).

She likes the Art and Class Civ a lot. The work load for Art is quite heavy, but if you're arty then you will probably enjoy it. Just don't procrastinate with it or you'll end up with a lot to catch up on.

I did A-Level Class Civ myself. There's a lot to remember but it's a really fascinating subject.

There's nothing wrong with your choices. If you're wanting a creative career then they're perfect choices.
Reply 2
This could all be more specific to my college but I do classical civilisation and i recommend it 1000000%, personally i do struggle with it but that's because im not a studious person but it is so interesting. I would say classics is kindof laid back depending on how well you are at retaining information however on the OCR exam board theres 30 mark questions, which i actually did a practice one today on mortal women in the odyssey, it sounds like a lot and not gonna lie it is but from a dumb students perspective (me) it is manageable and the fact that its so fun and interesting makes it even better. Homework from it doesn't even feel like a chore because its so cool. I find the art topic the most interesting seeing it from archaic periods to classical its so mesmerising how the art evolved and how good it looks too.

For fine art a level. i dont do it however one of my friends does and she has to do alot but it seems quite laid back as she can just finish work at home if she just feels like doing the bare minimum in lesson.
Reply 3
Original post by greenthing
Has anyone got experience with doing these subjects at A-Level, and can tell me how they fun/boring they were, how time consuming they were, how/if they worked together, and other general things about them? I'd be grateful for any advice or information, or just hearing how you guys found them (especially if you did all three!). In fact, even general sixth form life advice would be appreciated.

I'm currently in year 11 so will soon be going into sixth form and now that I think about it, I am definitely procrastinating revision for my GCSEs by stressing about my A-level options and writing this post. Anyway: I am thinking of going into some sort of creative career - film/photography/art-ish... I'm not too clear on what I want to do with my life, but if anything, I think it will probably be in that sort of direction.

When I have told people what A-levels I am thinking of doing (Art, History of Art, Classical Civilisation), I have had some responses like "oh, lucky. Those are nice, chilled A-levels", and also my grandfather told me they will not help get me any kind of job, and then he asked me why I wasn't doing any of the "hard subjects".

Are they really considered easy, laid-back subjects? I know that people tend to think art A-Level is easier than it actually is, but what about Classical Civilisation and History of Art A-level?

The only thing I would say is a lot of Fine Art and Design courses have a history of Art component so you could maybe do something like Eng Lit or straight history instead but if you are headed for an Art career they will not care what A levels you have if your portfolio is good enough

Quick Reply

Latest