The Student Room Group

My name is not "Hey Baby"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

Completely different and you have missed the point. A passing remark in the street doesn't constitute stalking or bullying. It's just attention from a man you didn't want.

To be honest does it even affect you? Unless you literally dress half naked then just ignore them. Isn't the end of the world.
Original post by Lil Piranha
It's still not harassment. Fancying someone =/= harassment.

Indeed, but I wasn't talking about harrassment. I was continuing from TheHansa's suggestion that you are objectifying men, and your response stating that fictional characters don't count. To put it another way: David Tennant is not a fictional character, and you are objectifying him.

Now, if you want to return to your original discussion of harrassment, then I would suggest that objectification can be a form of harrassment. How would you feel if you found out that I had posters of you in a bikini all over my bedroom walls?
Reply 22
Original post by james1211
Completely different and you have missed the point. A passing remark in the street doesn't constitute stalking or bullying. It's just attention from a man you didn't want.

To be honest does it even affect you? Unless you literally dress half naked then just ignore them. Isn't the end of the world.

No, but it does constitute harassment where it is unwanted and, here's the important thing, disrespectful.

"You look lovely today" is a compliment. "Oi oi sexy" is not.
Reply 23
There were more than a few men at these Slutwalks you know (again, if you'd listened to the radio programme you'd have known this...)

And as I explained further up - fancying someone (whoever it is) is not harassment.

I know, I heard, it makes no difference it was woman orientated. Some women enjoy compliments and hate self appointed individuals dictating how men can interact with them.

It's only not harassment if you don't keep your base desires in your head it would seem.

Original post by MrHappy_J
Men like you need to learn that women dont dress for your benefit.

Some do, some don't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by MrHappy_J
Men like you need to learn that women dont dress for your benefit.

What? I'm saying they dress for their own benefit because it is attractive to guys. Even if it's just to make themselves feel better and feel like they look better then it's still based on the fact it is attractive to men, therefore they want to know they can get mens attention.
Reply 25
No, but it does constitute harassment where it is unwanted and, here's the important thing, disrespectful.

It may be disrespectful but making a big deal about it is only going to alienate real men. Look at Japan, everyone there is so polite the men are actually afraid of complimenting women incase they offend them. If you don't believe me google it, it is a huge problem there.

Women need to stop being oversensitive about an issue that is way smaller than they are making it out to be.
Reply 26
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Indeed, but I wasn't talking about harrassment. I was continuing from TheHansa's suggestion that you are objectifying men, and your response stating that fictional characters don't count. To put it another way: David Tennant is not a fictional character, and you are objectifying him.

Now, if you want to return to your original discussion of harrassment, then I would suggest that objectification can be a form of harrassment. How would you feel if you found out that I had posters of you in a bikini all over my bedroom walls?

But the OP is about harassment. Again, fancying someone is not.

If you had pictures of me then first of all I'd like to know where you got them as I certainly never posed for them and I probably don't know you so I can only assume you've been stalking me - definitely creepy and illegal. However, if a celebrity is intentionally posing for pictures in a bikini to put on posters to sell (which is where you'd get them from perfectly legally) for people to buy and do whatever with - fair enough. If I was a celebrity then personally I wouldn't be posing like that, but if they want to make money out of it then it's up to them! I'm still not sure where you're going with this. Harassing people on the street isn't really comparable to fancying a celebrity (unless you're going to stalk them of course).
Reply 27
If a guy walks into a room wearing a suit, I'll stare. That's hot. If he has a nice body and he happens to be topless, I will objectify the hell out of him. It's human nature and I expect it to happen to me when I dress "sexily" like that too. I don't like that kind of attention though, so I no longer dress that way. End of. The most empowering thing for both men and women is that the power is in YOUR hands. Stop being a little pussy all annoyed because a guy is very naturally turned on by your PROVOCATIVE dress.

BTW, provocative: Adjective:
Causing provocation, esp. deliberately: "a provocative article".
Arousing sexual desire or interest, esp. deliberately

To dress provocatively, therefore, is to provoke a reaction. Obviously there are lines, but a verbal comment or two? Get over.

stfu and cover up if you don't like it
(edited 12 years ago)
What? I'm saying they dress for their own benefit because it is attractive to guys. Even if it's just to make themselves feel better and feel like they look better then it's still based on the fact it is attractive to men, therefore they want to know they can get mens attention.

except that the "compliments" one usually gets are not compliments at all. they are rude, unimaginative remarks from fat men who dont know any better and are often uncalled for.
Reply 29

"You look lovely today" is a compliment. "Oi oi sexy" is not.

Absolute rubbish, if someone doesn't like it then they should say. It is only if it then continues that is is harassment.
Original post by HighestKungFu
So let me get this straight.

Women want men to do the approaching etc when it comes to 'making the first move' as a general rule, however don't want men to be flirty or use 'derogatory' phrases.

The women out there who aren't radical feminists also don't want men to pay them any attention whatsoever despite all the time, effort and money they put into their appearance. They want intelligent, matter of fact interactions where men never look at their breasts or compliment them on any aspect of their appearance whatsoever. If they do comment, it should be limited to expressions more typical of a country gentleman and not 'hey baby', the most offensive phrase in the English language.

I am of course being facetious and sarcastic. Feminists need to understand that not all women share their views, and some actually LIKE to be objectified and drooled over. Why do you think they go out on a Friday night with a skirt up to their knickers and breasts pushed up to the ceiling? So they can be completely ignored and have no 'perverted' men approach them. Yeah of course they do. And what about the legions of women who fall over themselves to have pictures taken for magazines such as Nuts and Zoo. Do you think they hate attention?

Feminists need to realise that not all women want the kind of equality and responsibility in society that they crave and realise that some actually like typical male attention.

I would agree with everything you said except that you don't necessarily need to dress that dramatically to get this type of attention from men in the street.

Honestly, for me the only way to avoid attention in London is to wear an oversized coat and glasses, which is not ideal to say the least.

I understand you may not hoot at anyone you see on the street but there are men who do that and you won't notice it because you wouldn't be receiving it nor looking out for it.
Reply 31
I think the slutwalkers are hypocrites.
Reply 32
Original post by Idle
Absolute rubbish, if someone doesn't like it then they should say. It is only if it then continues that is is harassment.

LOVE love love your sig!
Reply 33
Original post by Kiss
I think the slutwalkers are hypocrites.

I think so too.
Reply 34
It may be disrespectful but making a big deal about it is only going to alienate real men. Look at Japan, everyone there is so polite the men are actually afraid of complimenting women incase they offend them. If you don't believe me google it, it is a huge problem there.

Women need to stop being oversensitive about an issue that is way smaller than they are making it out to be.

My brother is currently on a year abroad in Japan, and he's also said how polite they are generally. However he's also told me about things such as women-only tube carriages, because groping is such a huge problem. So I'm honestly not sure your argument about a polite Japanese society means that harassment isn't a problem.

And I'm fairly sure real men wouldn't need to resort to yelling at women on the street.

why shouldnt they make a big deal about it?
you cant really say that women are oversensitive, youve never experienced that sort of derogatory treatment yourself so you cant know.
But the OP is about harassment. Again, fancying someone is not.

If you had pictures of me then first of all I'd like to know where you got them as I certainly never posed for them and I probably don't know you so I can only assume you've been stalking me - definitely creepy and illegal. However, if a celebrity is intentionally posing for pictures in a bikini to put on posters to sell (which is where you'd get them from perfectly legally) for people to buy and do whatever with - fair enough. If I was a celebrity then personally I wouldn't be posing like that, but if they want to make money out of it then it's up to them! I'm still not sure where you're going with this. Harassing people on the street isn't really comparable to fancying a celebrity (unless you're going to stalk them of course).

I'm not really going anywhere further with it except what I have already said:

* You objectify men
* Objectification can be a form of harrassment

Whether or not you think the specific example I gave is relevant to the discussion is immaterial. Your response primarily focussed on questioning the means by which someone would obtain pictures of you... but what was clear was that you were uncomfortable with the idea of someone objectifying you in that way. That's the only point I wanted to make. Objectification can be construed as harrassment, and that is something that you yourself may be guilty of
Reply 37
Original post by HJFSS
Because women should be able to dress however they want without fear of being harassed for it?

Wouldn't it go to say then, that, they will not admit a ounce of responsibility for failing to understand that there are also hecklers on the street? :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
I think feminists and people who think like the OP should walk around wearing a sign that says "Don't compliment me you dirty pervert future rapist", so that men know to avoid complimenting those women and normal women can carry on with their normal lives and men can compliment us if they want to.
Reply 39
Original post by ckingalt
I tried dressing provocatively and was quite disappointed to find no women violated any boundaries when giving me attention. Actually they didn't give me any attention at all. Now I have to return those leather chaps and leopard print half-shirt back to the store.

In all seriousness people should be polite no matter what you wear. With laws of attraction and rituals of flirting there are grey areas though. I would say a smile and a "hey baby" is alright. A "hey baby, get out your tits" is not.

thats pretty much what i meant..
i perhaps worded myself badly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending