The Student Room Group

Black (Asian too) and/or British?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by RevolutionIsNear!
I'm Black, born & raised in London yet my parents are from Angola. I always get asked what country I'm from solely on the account of being Black (immediate assumption I'm not British) and I always say Angola, despite the fact that I've never been there, guess it's easier to identify with. I've always been reluctant to call myself British because I doubt white brits would look at me and say "he's just as British as I am".

You are just as british though, just not by blood I suppose. If you've lived here all your life, you can call yourself british. It's just a matter of what you feel.
Reply 81
Original post by Dee Leigh
Really?

Are you parents/grandparents Italian?

Grandparents all moved over from Italy (well, some from Tripoli, while it was Italian run)
Original post by lucaf
fair enough, I can see where you are coming from. but in my case I have found that, while my heritage has had a huge impact on who I am, growing up in England has had a bigger one. having been to Italy and visited relatives and seen how different it is culturally, it is hard to consider myself more Italian than British. then again, I am third generation and from the sounds of it you are second, so I suppose it is different.

Yeah I'm second generation :smile:
Original post by Kruz
I just believe, that my heritage is important it's who I am. Don't get me wrong, I love England/Britain, it's just I believe 'Nigeria' is who I am, it's where my ancestors are from, it's my roots my parents have just beaten this in my head not to forget where I'm from.

Of course, you should never forget your roots, but truely, IMO, you are Black British of Nigerian descent.

Don't wanna sound rude but maybe if your parents didn't want want you to be British or influenced by British culture, then they shouldn't have raised you here.

You are not just residing here, you were born and bred here, right?

Just my two cents.
Original post by Dee Leigh
Of course, you should never forget your roots, but truely, IMO, you are Black British of Nigerian descent.

Don't wanna sound rude but maybe if your parents didn't want want you to be British or influenced by British culture, then they shouldn't have raised you here.

You are not just residing here, you were born and bred here, right?

Just my two cents.

1. My parent don't hate the culture, they've been here for more than 20 years.
2. Yeah, I am.
Reply 85
Original post by lucaf
fair enough, I can see where you are coming from. but in my case I have found that, while my heritage has had a huge impact on who I am, growing up in England has had a bigger one. having been to Italy and visited relatives and seen how different it is culturally, it is hard to consider myself more Italian than British. then again, I am third generation and from the sounds of it you are second, so I suppose it is different.

You can probably pass as being 'generally' British though. Whenever someone asks me where I'm from, regardless if I say the UK, then this conversation always ensues (C+P from first page):

"So where are you from?"
"London"
"No I mean, where are you from?"
"London..."
"I mean where are your parents from?"
"........ Shropshire?"
"Like, what is your ethnicity...?"
"Oh, Chinese"
"Cool, nice country, my brother visited there on his gap year"
"Nice, I've never been" :rofl:

I doubt the chavs who regularly shout racial epiphets and insults at me on the streets or DM readers see me as their "British brethren" either. How often have you been mocked because of your Italian ancestry? Most people probably don't realise it unless you tell them specfically.

How can I be accepted as 'British' when I'm treated like a perpetual foreigner by mainstream media and society as a whole, even though I was raised here? I never will be, I can't change my race, so theres nothing I can do about it. Its why I don't consider myself British beyond my nationality which is an objective fact.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Aaron_xyz
You can probably pass as being 'generally' British though. Whenever someone asks me where I'm from, regardless if I say the UK, then this conversation always ensues (C+P from first page):

"So where are you from?"
"London"
"No I mean, where are you from?"
"London..."
"I mean where are your parents from?"
"........ Shropshire?"
"Like, what is your ethnicity...?"
"Oh, Chinese"
"Cool, nice country, my brother visited there on his gap year"
"Nice, I've never been" :rofl:

I doubt the chavs who regularly shout racial epiphets and insults at me on the streets or DM readers see me as their "British brethren" either. How often have you been mocked because of your Italian ancestry? Most people probably don't realise it unless you tell them specfically.

How can I be accepted as 'British' when I'm treated like a perpetual foreigner by mainstream media and society as a whole, even though I was raised here? I never will be, I can't change my race, so theres nothing I can do about it. Its why I don't consider myself British beyond my nationality which is an objective fact.

that is very true, its something I have always found hypocritical when people who think there are too many foreigners here never seem to be too bothered by my presence
Original post by Aaron_xyz
Implying that all non-ethnic British people in the UK are immigrants, classic. :facepalm2:

Do you consider Boris Johnson, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband British?

How about the Queen? Bet he didn't think of that
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by de_monies
How about the Queen?

Lol I forgot about her..

Lets wait for Pyramid's response.
Original post by lucaf
that is very true, its something I have always found hypocritical when people who think there are too many foreigners here never seem to be too bothered by my presence

:lol: Hahaha!!!

You should tell them to shock them :wink:
How about the Queen? Bet he didn't think of that

And Prince Philip?!
If anyone is ever confused as to what they are... Just ask your mum and dad...
Reply 92
Original post by cl_steele
and for comments like this you dont deserve to be British.
and youre evidently not Nigerian unless London is suddenly part of Nigeria?

I don't really care if I'm British anyway. I am Nigerian because my parents are.
Y'know there's that bit of history which covers a large portion of England's history, where we have a monarch, and a lot of our history is based on them but guess what? The Royal family is German :biggrin:

The Royal Family is a real mixture like all European families. In fairness, Queen Elizabeth II (or Queen Elizabeth the I in Scotland!) is the 32nd great granddaughter of King Alfred who 1,140 years ago was the first effective King of England. I say this as a non monarchist btw. Indeed she is also a direct descendent of Robert the Bruce of Scotland under whom William Wallace fought. Why do you say they are German? Because of George of Hanover? George was a direct descendent of King James I (first of Scotland and then England and Scotland) and his ascension to the throne was all to do with religion not place of birth.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you were born here, grew up here, have a visa of any kind or are applying then I would regard that as British. In the next 5-15 years I'm intending to move to France for life as I would prefer to teach English there, and after a few years I would like to be seen as both British and French
You can be 'Black' and British. You can be 'Asian' and British. If you believe you can't be and you are from one of such ethnicities, I urge you to leave the vicinity of the Isles immediately and never return. You are not welcome. Oh, and don't forget to cancel your citizenship (I'm the Secretary of State for the Home Department will be delighted to oblige).

It's fools like the above (i.e. those from ethnic minorities who believe you can't be from an ethnic minority and be British) that spur on all of the Anti-non-white sentiment and those arguments like 'they don't assimilate' blah blah.

Assimilate and stop passively fueling racism and nonsense! If you are a citizen of these Isles, you must abide by the rules and heed the culture and the language. Now, nobody is saying that you should disregard your roots (that would be silly), but you need to be aware of where you're living and why you're living there.
Reply 96
I am human! Why must i be tied to some pile of dirt because my parents screw here?! No man! I am not a insect who needs to be near a hive! I am a man and colours on fabric will not restrict me, my heart is open, my eyes are open, what is this closed border bull****?!

To preserve culture is a beautiful thing, but obviously we can take culture with us, it is not in a flag, not in a name, it is in our blood and state of mind.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PinkyQT
I don't really care if I'm British anyway. I am Nigerian because my parents are.

So, when you're on holiday in say, Canada, for example, and somebody asks you - Where are you from?/What's your nationality? Do you say Nigeria or England? If you run into a bit of trouble in a foreign country, which embassy do you go to - the British or the Nigerian Embassy? :rolleyes:

If there's some sort of serious military emergency and countries begin to call for able-bodies men and women, do you go to fight for Britain or Nigeria? (If you answer for the latter, I urge you to leave the Isles immediately. You're not welcome.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Let's put it this way, if there was a military call-up for a serious world-changing event, I'd fight for my country (that being Britain not the country my parents came from :rolleyes:) - I'd fight for the country where I was born in, lived for my whole life in, had friends and family in etc etc.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
You can be 'Black' and British. You can be 'Asian' and British. If you believe you can't be and you are from one of such ethnicities, I urge you to leave the vicinity of the Isles immediately and never return. You are not welcome. Oh, and don't forget to cancel your citizenship (I'm the Secretary of State for the Home Department will be delighted to oblige).

It's fools like the above (i.e. those from ethnic minorities who believe you can't be from an ethnic minority and be British) that spur on all of the Anti-non-white sentiment and those arguments like 'they don't assimilate' blah blah.

Assimilate and stop passively fueling racism and nonsense! If you are a citizen of these Isles, you must abide by the rules and heed the culture and the language. Now, nobody is saying that you should disregard your roots (that would be silly), but you need to be aware of where you're living and why you're living there.

Immigrants who are born in Britain, do not become British. If a Swedish couple move to to Australia, and have a child, does that child become an australian aborigine? lmao. some absolute quacks here though think yes.

British is an ethnicity. Its not something open to everyone. To be British you have to descend from the ethnic or ancestral stock of Britain, the same way to be an indigenous Australian - you have to be an aborigne. Immigrants who settle in Australia don't become aborigines. Immigrants who settled in America, don't become Native Americans/Amerindians... again the quacks posting here though they they do.:rolleyes: Britain is not different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending