The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
im not a student there, but my home is near Hull (only didnt go there becuase i wanted to move away to uni)

but the area the campus is in is nice, better than the reputation Hull (as a city) has got.

also the 'Lawns' halls of residence which is near were I live..is a really nice area and I imagine its great being a student there.

so go and look round etc, but i'd have gone there, except i felt id learn more moving away (rather than have my mum cooking, cleaning and fussing over me etc)
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
It's not such a bad place - depends on what you want to study. I'm in my final year of Law there - hasn't been terrible, good lecturers, reasonable support, libraries etc. Nightlife's ok, sports scene good.

The place isn't actually in the centre of Hull, but in a 'leafy' suburb, hence no immeadeate industrial depression/whatever else you might've heard about Hull. Thwaite Hall's a nice place to live. The city centre's also being regenerated - £loads being poured into it etc.

At the end of the day its your average red-brick university, good reputation, reasonable surroundings, on the whole, a nice place.

PS - if you happen to be rich at all, do come & bring a a cheque for £25,000 made out to the boat club - we need a new boat.

Smudger x
Reply 3
Either of you know what the marine bio/aquatic zoology courses are like?

Sounds qhite nice... was sort of worried about the surroundings... my boss calls it hurl! lol
Reply 4
Hello, I'm thinking about putting Hull as my insurance and my only real concern is that everyone says the city is horrible and really run down. It's confusing because some people hate the place while others say it's actually quite pleasant. How safe is it to live in Hull? Also, how far is the actual campus from the city?
Reply 5
the pictures in the prospectus seem really nice... the campus is on the edge of the city, and its got loads of grounds apparently, and all the resident halls are in open land because they are actually halls-as in the victorian ones!
i have heard some people say the city isn't nice... and some say it is! i'd wait until the open day to decide, thats what im doing!
donkey144
the pictures in the prospectus seem really nice... the campus is on the edge of the city, and its got loads of grounds apparently, and all the resident halls are in open land because they are actually halls-as in the victorian ones!
i have heard some people say the city isn't nice... and some say it is! i'd wait until the open day to decide, thats what im doing!

Its quite far from the city centre...

most of the Halls are in Cottingham which is a village (my home! woo) which is about 20mins from Hull centre, and maybe 10mins from Uni...but there are literally loads of buses.

your right about the halls, all are set in loads of space. The uni is also confined to one area of open space, so doesnt have roads, chavs etc going through it.

I also wouldent say Hull is too unsafe, yes it is "rough" but you just have to be careful and sensible, like in any city centre. It also doesnt have a gun-crime problem, or problems with "gangs" like other cities have.

Ie It wouldent be that wise to go out on a saturday night dressed head to toe in "university" clothing and being loud and obnoxious, as the locals wouldent appreciate it. But that is only relevant to Saturday night...when almost the whole population of Hull goes and gets Drunk, youd probs be best staying in the excellent Asylum union nightclub on that night.

You'll just have to remember that SOME narrow minded locals are a bit hostile to students...but that is about all, and most wont do anything anyway..and 95% of the time you will be in the student areas.

overall I do like Hull, and cant wait to be back...as ive already said somewhere, the only reason I didnt go was becuase moving away would have been more beneficial for me.
Reply 7
I'm looking to start at hull uni (scarborough camp) in sept for primary education anyone there now doing it? Is it good? Can you tell me more about the uni? Trying to make my final decision now so....any help would be great thanx :p:
Well that's a load off my chest...was a bit skeptical about coming to Hull in that I've never heard of it being mentioned in Malaysia, where I'm from...but seeing as it has got some rather positive comments about it from alumni, it might not be so bad after all..

Looking forward to coming in Sept...I'm now worried about how my room in the student house is going to be like...hopefully its one with lots and lots of windows..not because i'm an exhibitionist but i like to have a room with a view...

Alvin =)

Latest