The Student Room Group

Writing Ionic Equations

On these type of questions, I get very confused by what they're actually asking as it's not very clear to me or I may not simply understand it. Is there any ways to really break down this type of question?

I understand how to write the first ionic equation by multiplying and cancelling out but the other ones after are the ones I get confused about.
Reply 1
Original post by LifeIsGood

On these type of questions, I get very confused by what they're actually asking as it's not very clear to me or I may not simply understand it. Is there any ways to really break down this type of question?

I understand how to write the first ionic equation by multiplying and cancelling out but the other ones after are the ones I get confused about.

Well for step 2 you just need to write a balanced equation for the reaction between nitric acid and sodium carbonate.

You're using a carbonate and it effervesces which is a big clue as to what gas could be being given off :smile:

Edit: And remember it's an ionic equation so you need to write the products/reactants as dissociated ions, eg. Ca2+ + 2Cl- instead of CaCl2
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by chembob
Well for step 2 you just need to write a balanced equation for the reaction between nitric acid and sodium carbonate.

You're using a carbonate and it effervesces which is a big clue as to what gas could be being given off :smile:

Edit: And remember it's an ionic equation so you need to write the products/reactants as dissociated ions, eg. Ca2+ + 2Cl- instead of CaCl2

They use Cu2+ :s-smilie:
Reply 3
They use Cu2+ :s-smilie:

I was just giving an example :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by chembob
I was just giving an example :smile:

I don't understand why they didn't use HNO3 & Sodium Carbonate?

You could try underlining or highlighting the salient information and then connecting each part together. Like so:

question_ans.jpg

Then you can work backwards following the links and making sure to integrate all of the information given in each link.

When dilutions are used remember that you are only getting a fraction of the total moles. i.e. if a 25ml sample is taken from a 250ml solution you are only looking at 1/10th of the total amount, so if you wish to know the total amount you must multiply by 10.

Whenever there are reactions involved you must look at the coefficients of the equation to ensure that you have the stoichiometry of the reacting species correct.
I don't understand why they didn't use HNO3 & Sodium Carbonate?

They had to destroy the nitric acid by reaction with sodium carbonate, because it is an oxidising agent and would react with the potassium iodide later on, making iodine (which you don't want, you only want the copper ions making iodine).

The sodium carbonate also precipitates out the copper ions as copper carbonate, which is why ethanoic acid is added, to redissolve the copper ions.
Reply 7
Original post by charco
They had to destroy the nitric acid by reaction with sodium carbonate, because it is an oxidising agent and would react with the potassium iodide later on, making iodine (which you don't want, you only want the copper ions making iodine).

The sodium carbonate also precipitates out the copper ions as copper carbonate, which is why ethanoic acid is added, to redissolve the copper ions.

Woah thanks! I don't understand how I'm supposed to know that :s-smilie: I'd never have got that in an exam, can you break it down for me further please?
Woah thanks! I don't understand how I'm supposed to know that :s-smilie: I'd never have got that in an exam, can you break it down for me further please?

You don't require this knowledge to answer the questions.

I am just explaining why use the method they do, s'all.
Reply 9
Original post by charco
You don't require this knowledge to answer the questions.

I am just explaining why use the method they do, s'all.

Ok but I don't understand how they've given us information because I'd assume they meant HNO3 & Sodium Carbonate reacting nothing to do with Copper.
Ok but I don't understand how they've given us information because I'd assume they meant HNO3 & Sodium Carbonate reacting nothing to do with Copper.

They do.

BUT
If you know the initial amount of a substance (eg Z)
AND
you can work out the excess by information given (eg Y)
THEN
you know the amount reacted by subtraction (Z-Y)

Quick Reply

Latest