The Student Room Group

Medicine in Milan, Italy - International Medical School

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone.
I'll try to make the whole procedure for IMAT more clear.
Once on this website http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/imat/about-imat/ you see that the apllication is opened, you go on http://www.universitaly.it/index.php/ and on the right you will see IMAT2015.
1) you registrate on the website.
2) click on IMAT2015 and fill in all the lines and info. choose you university ( according to your priority list), pay the fee and submit.
That's it. Application for IMAT is also application for the universtiy you choose in the list.
3) You do the test. after the test you get your username and password and website where you can get your results.
Maybe 2 weeks later you log in to that website and you will see only the ID number, place in the ranking list and the score. Then a couple of days later you will see the names and surnames and where people applied. After that non-eu candidates will be excluded from that list and enrollment procedure will start ( because there is a separate competition for non EU. they should check their admitted list on the univesity website). If you see in the table that you are admitted to your uni you need to start enrollment procedure that is specific to each unievrsity but you shoudl enroll WITHIN 4 DAYS . if not you will loose you place.
In Milan IMS you can either send the documents by email or come in person to the international office but only WITHING 4 DAYS you see that you are admitted.
P.S for non EU people only !!! before applying for Imat you should do the pre-enrollment before 10th July in the Italian Embassy in your country or in other italian authority.
That's it.
Hey! I've made a Facebook group for people interested in doing medicine in Italy in 2015. Message me if you'd like to join :smile:
Hi I am a high school student in UK. I sat my 3 highers in 5th year and intent to do an advanced higher in chemistry plus a higher in biology, admin& IT, and maths. In the UK to you are required to get 4 A and a B in higher level to get into medicine. However I only sat three highers and therefore can't get into a UK university. I was wanting to know the entry requirements to get into medicine in Italy. What qualifications are required to enter a university in Italy for medicine? Please reply fast.
Original post by withoutnosegirl
You can apply to second course if you have enought convalidable subjects(biochemistry for example, histology, etc...)
Try calling. Is going to be hard to reach them, I know, but you have to keep trying. Which university is your first option?

Hi

I did a Biochemistry degree at University. Will I need to send of my GCSE results to be appostilled too? I am planning to apply to pavia and milan.
Hey, I live in the UK, and am looking to do medicine in Italy. I am on holiday in Milan in July/August 2015, I would like to see the university and speak to any students doing an English medicine course in Milan or Pavia.
Anyone know if they accept the International baccalaureate? I tried to apply online but j need to convert my grades to their scoring system but it can't really work for IB grades. Pls help :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Summertime112
Hey! I've made a Facebook group for people interested in doing medicine in Italy in 2015. Message me if you'd like to join :smile:

Hey for some reason I can't PM you :s but I would like to join the group please!
me, too! im also looking for the ib conversion for the grades required , were you able to find them?
Do you need to have completed A levels or can you apply before taking the A2 exams? I have my AS levels.
Original post by It's a Classic
Do you need to have completed A levels or can you apply before taking the A2 exams? I have my AS levels.

Need to have completed Alevels
Hi everyone,

I know this may be way too far in advance, given that 2015 candidates have not yet taken the IMAT, BUT I was wondering if anyone (even current students) could let me know a bit more about their options for housing. I am aware that IMS students could take CIDIS benefits, however I would be very grateful if any of you could let me know a bit more about other options OR at least, where to start looking at for affordable housing.

Thank you in advance,
Original post by Medgirl0342
Hey for some reason I can't PM you :s but I would like to join the group please!

Hey, can you please let me know the name of the group on facebook?
i haven't done the pre-enrollment yet and it's way past july 10th, can i still take the imat exam, and do the pre-enrollment later?
Original post by imedico10
i haven't done the pre-enrollment yet and it's way past july 10th, can i still take the imat exam, and do the pre-enrollment later?

Do the pre-enrollement!
The sooner the better!
Original post by addict-ed
Do the pre-enrollement!
The sooner the better!

Thanks but am i too late for the pre-enrollment?
Original post by imedico10
Thanks but am i too late for the pre-enrollment?

I actually don't know because apparently you have to present a Modello A (it's the Document that they give you at the Ambassy and it's a pre-inscription form). And the deadline to ask for it was the 10th of July. So i really don't. Call the Uni and ask them.
Reply 1116
Hii need someone help me to know which of these two ways arebetter and have more chance of acceptance in medicine !?1.take the IMAT and chose english course2.chose italian course and take its entrance exam
and sorry if it is repetitive cause i haven't enough time tosearch whole topics.
If you're having trouble messaging Tara, I can add you to the group if you like. You can just message me your email address.
Original post by shinwave
Important update for 2014 Entry - See links at the bottom.

The following article was written by me back when I was a first year student, for the year 2011/12. It is a subjective article, based around my personal experience. Following many changes (including moving of the facilities in 2014 away from Humanitas, and Changes to IMAT protocols), some of it may not be as relevant today, but I am leaving it as it does still serve a purpose of informing people about my personal experience of what it was like to move to Italy, and some aspects of the program itself.

I am currently a student studying medicine in Milan, Italy, and am writing this to help any prospective students in their decision-making process! I will be talking a lot more subjectively on this topic, my personal decision-making process, and some general info with regards to my experience thus far.

The program I am enrolled on is the Medicine and surgery (medicina e chirurgia) program in English. It is a program run by the University of Milan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Milan) and is called the International Medical School (IMS), with everything being based at istituto clinico Humanitas.

Why I chose this course

The course is a 6 year degree in medicine, and all lectures are in English. I am currently a first year, with no previous knowledge of Italian.

Having researched the University itself, I found that the University of Milan has an international reputation - something important in my eyes when considering the future - It is considered one of the best in Italy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Milan). The degree is recognised in the UK (http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/eea_evidence_italy.asp), and so I thought "Why not; the exam entrance fee is cheap, course is in English and is in Milan, Italy, rather than somewhere possibly more obscure - works to my advantage when applying internationally after graduating. What, tuition fees are no more than 4000 euros a year?!"

On the course, the lecturers are excellent (I have previously studied at Bristol and Nottingham - I graduated with an Msc in Immunology) in comparison with other top universities. The class sizes are small (50 in our year), and very international - we have about 15 Italians, 10 Israelis and 10 Brits, with others coming from Lebanon, Taiwan, South Korea, Germany, Sweden - you get the idea. The small class definitely helps in terms of student-professor rapport; we really get to know each other. This is almost unique in terms of the professor getting to know each student (Does not happen in the UK).

Literally today, one of our coursemates went and watched a surgery to fix an aortic aneurysm: again, does not happen in the UK. However, with Italy being a catholic country, dissections are illegal. Instead, as first year students, we already have our white coats, are shadowing doctors and sitting in at consultations (yes, knowing Italian is a benefit). Students have the option to go visit the ER over the weekends. All in all, it is very exciting (albeit the majority of our time is spent in lectures or studying in the library).

The course is moulded around other international models (e.g. Stanford etc etc), and I really do get the feeling that they have made an effort rather than just port over the Italian system and Googletranslate everything (I have heard other courses in English are doing this...). The lecturers are excellent, the material is theoretically challenging (as you would expect any decent medical school to be), proper patient interaction starts in the THIRD year, and the facility is amazing.

Lunches are subsidised (3 euros for a really good meal), we all have our own lockers, the teaching staff for our PBLs are all very experienced physicians, everything is pristine clean, and there seems to be one or two international conventions happening every week, and as students we are welcome to view them. State of the art equipment (e.g. really powerful PET scans), and the concept that if you contact the doctors beforehand, they will be more than happy to accommodate for one extra student on their rounds - some of the benefits of being a medical student here.

The hospital itself - Istituto clinico Humanitas (ICH) - is one of the best in Italy. It is a private hospital, with the capability to accommodate for patients on the national health service. With that being said, it has some of the best doctors and facilities around. I have been told that there is a 2:1 ratio of student to physician tutors (paid to be tutors). All the doctors I have met thus far have been more than supportive (a la coursemate today, who was asked whether he wanted to sit in on the aortic aneurysm surgery).
I have so far met intern residents from the US and the Netherlands, who have been saying the facilities here (e.g. nuclear medicine department, where he is an intern) are truly state-of-the-art, and that was an important factor in them coming here.

Our classes are held in one classroom, with our professors coming to us. Since we are so few, you really get to meet everybody intimately. Our class has already been on skiing trips together, visited Nice over the weekends, and even invited friends over for Christmas/New years/Easter back to the UK!
On top of all this, we frequently go out together to the very cosmopolitan city that is Milano; sushi all-you-can-eat-buffets, coffee and drinks at any number of bars, karaoke, football, and apertivos!

The entrance exam

This is what happened last year.

I took the IMAT test (BMAT equivalent) in September having signed up, and waited two weeks for the results to be published online. There were 100 people taking the exam in London, and a further 500 Odd taking it in Milan, for 30 Eu places and 20 non-eu places.

NB they advertise a minimum mark of 20; this is NOT what you should be aiming for. This was only the second year, and the competition for places in the eu category was much harder than for the non-eu.

After the results are published online and you place within the top 30, ZOOM you should pack and get out to Milan asap and start looking for an apartment - Last year the entrance exam was on the 9th of September, results were published on the 1xth, and we had to be here for registration by the 23rd or so. It happens very quickly, and they expect you to pay the first instalment at an Italian branch of Intesa Sanpaolo (I made the mistake of going to the Intesa Sanpaolo branch in London but they dont deal with private payments). First date of term was the following monday (26th I believe).

NB - the application procedure is not easy takes time - start well in advance of the application deadline, but in the worst case scenario, contact the medical school as shown on www.mimed.it

In summary
Pros: Environment (small classes, excellent teaching staff, facilities), early clinical experience (tasters in the first 2 years followed by proper patient contact in the third year), course taught in English (but must learn Italian), top university in Italy, top hospital in Italy, and cheaper tuition than UK. Food is great in general!

Cons: Having to learn Italian within 2 years (I intend to study over the summer holidays), no dissections, had a really tough time getting all the paperwork together (Italian consulate blew 2 separate confirmed appointments with me, then lost my paperwork...)
With this being a new course, sometimes things dont go as smoothly as you would like, but having chatted with the year above, things are definitely improving. I assume it will get even better in years to come (Means some of this information may be outdated soon)

Possible pros or cons (depends on how you look at it): the hospital is not actually in the city of Milan; rather it is several kilometres to the south. However, there is a shuttlebus that runs every 20 minutes from morning till 8pm every day to Milan, and it takes about 15 minutes.
The lecture timetable is not as intense as in the UK. Its not 9-5 everyday, but with more time allocated to "self-study". We have on average 4-5 hours a day of lectures (just quick-maths involved here), which may be less intense than in the UK, but the students then go off to study at their own pace by themselves.

I hope this helps - I myself was daunted last year when faced with the prospect of this mysterious course. I would strongly recommend people to come and investigate (as some people have already done) -it's only Milan and costs under a hundred pounds to come and investigate for yourself!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of 2014, a few changes to the above.
In short - The International medical school is now moving from Humanitas, Rozzano where it has been located thus far.
1) The preclinical 2 years will be based at LITA-Interdisciplinary Laboratory of Advanced Technologies, Segrate
2) The clinical 4 years will be based at the Sacco hospital campus
3) The intake this year is 40 total: 30 eu and 10 non-eu.
4) The IMAT exam is 60 total questions - 30 logic and general knowledge, and 30 in chemistry, biology, physics and maths.
5) There are no extra marks for English certificates.

Unfortunately, I myself have never visited either of the new facilities above, and therefore cannot comment. All the best to those applying this year!

Due to popular/frequent questions -Update for 2014 - the IMAT is now on April 29th. For those interested - Some useful websites:
Last year's IMAT scores: http://www.accessoprogrammato.miur.it/2012/page.php?pag=TA&cdl=ME&gruppo=15MI
Official websites: Mimed.it, www.ims.unimi.it
Registration for IMAT: www.universitaly.it

Hi shinwave.

Thank you sooo much for the information. After results day today, I unfortunately didn't get my 3 A's to study medicine at Sheffield. I've been researching loads and I've decided to apply to do medicine in Italy. I was just wondering if you could quickly outline the application process that you took? Did you use an agency to help you or do you know of any that can? do you remember what your deadline was? did you do it directly through the university? Sorry for the interrogation but I'm having trouble finding other people in the same situation!

Thanks
Original post by LouiseR1996
Applications for entry this year closed in July. You can register for the imat via http://www.universitaly.it/index.php/ but it won't be open again until next year.

However, if you don't mind paying higher tuition fees then the humanitas private university registration is still open.

Hi Louise,

Sorry! should have said I meant for 2016 entry.

Thanks, will register for IMAT tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending