The Student Room Group

Advice on applying to medicine

Guys I'm resitting my Gcse this summer (2024) because I was an international student etc... I really want to do medicine at a top uni but because I'm resitting my gcse independently i cant take part in any extracurricular activities which I believe are vital for a med school application
So what can I do?? Can I take part in any essay competitions or anything? Science essays etc..? Also does resitting my gcse affect my UCAS application for medicine what if i do well in my A levels and get A's?
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Guys I'm resitting my Gcse this summer (2024) because I was an international student etc... I really want to do medicine at a top uni but because I'm resitting my gcse independently i cant take part in any extracurricular activities which I believe are vital for a med school application
So what can I do?? Can I take part in any essay competitions or anything? Science essays etc..? Also does resitting my gcse affect my UCAS application for medicine what if i do well in my A levels and get A's?

So I don’t know anything about what it will do to your med school application sorry, but as for extracurriculars if you want to do medince maybe think about doing the crest awards? And if you like drama try the lamda drama exams - they’re pretty easy extra ucas points.
Reply 2
So when do students usually start collecting UCAS points? Like in Year 11 or 12?
What are UCAS points and what's the best way to get them if you want to do medicine?
So when do students usually start collecting UCAS points? Like in Year 11 or 12?
What are UCAS points and what's the best way to get them if you want to do medicine?

UCAS points are based off of your A Level and AS results (or IB, BTEC, Access, etc.) You get them in the summer of Year 12/13, depending on your qualifications.

For medicine, you're looking at AAA as a minimum (A*A*A* being ideal) with Biology and Chemistry being the 2 essential A Level subjects (you would need something similar for other qualifications). BTEC is generally not accepted for medical degrees.
Reply 4
Ok so BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY are essential whats other easy and more relevant subject that I could take at A levels for medicine?
(edited 7 months ago)
Ok so BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY are essential whats other easy and more relevant subject that I could take at A levels for medicine?

I like how you ask for easy subjects when you're going to study a difficult subject like medicine.

Typically your third subject can be in anything (ideally academic, so your application stays competitive). A lot of people can pick science based subjects like maths, psychology, physics, etc. However, it doesn't prevent you from picking other subjects like history, English literature, geography.

See the following articles for further information on A Level choices for medicine:
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-become-a-doctor
https://www.immerse.education/university/a-level-requirements/medicine/
Reply 6
Ok, thank you very much.
I just had a doubt about psychology, Psychology is a science subject and respected A level accepted by Top unis like Oxbridge, right?
Ok, thank you very much.
I just had a doubt about psychology, Psychology is a science subject and respected A level accepted by Top unis like Oxbridge, right?

I can't specifically say what the admissions staff at the top unis would say, but as far as I know it's an accepted third subject for most unis, even the top ones. If you want, you can get a second opinion from current medical students.
Reply 8
Guys, I will be going to start my A levels in 2024 after re-sitting my GCSE as I moved to the UK during the pandemic and middle of Year 10 and I couldn't catch up with everything also the language was new to me so when I sat my GCSE this summer I failed most of them like 5 subjects including maths and english.
I've always been a top student in my country (ITALY) before moving here... anyways, now that I'm really motivated and ready I decided to resit GCSE so that I can do my 1st choice A-level subjects so that I could do medicine at a top University which has always been my dream. The problem is that I have never done any extracurricular activity in my life like I did but not sports-related you know what I mean some ppl going to Oxford would say they did tennis, basketball, etc... But I never did any sport. Now that I'm in Year 11, 17 years old I don't whether I should do or not any sport to make my personal statement more interesting and acceptable by Top Unis or should I just focus on studying for my GCSE resits??? I want to do well and do whatever is needed to get into a good Uni. Is it possible for me to just do some work experience and volunteer in a hospital or anything next year after I've done my GCSE?? Would that be enough for a strong application to a top Uni such as Oxbrige for medicine?
Believe I feel so depressed and sad sometimes but I never let that demotivate me because I know that step by step I will be able to achieve what I want...
What do you think?
Please let me know
Thank you
Reply 9
Guys, I will be going to start my A levels in 2024 after re-sitting my GCSE as I moved to the UK during the pandemic and middle of Year 10 and I couldn't catch up with everything also the language was new to me so when I sat my GCSE this summer I failed most of them like 5 subjects including maths and english.
I've always been a top student in my country (ITALY) before moving here... anyways, now that I'm really motivated and ready I decided to resit GCSE so that I can do my 1st choice A-level subjects so that I could do medicine at a top University which has always been my dream. The problem is that I have never done any extracurricular activity in my life like I did but not sports-related you know what I mean some ppl going to Oxford would say they did tennis, basketball, etc... But I never did any sport. Now that I'm in Year 11, 17 years old I don't whether I should do or not any sport to make my personal statement more interesting and acceptable by Top Unis or should I just focus on studying for my GCSE resits??? I want to do well and do whatever is needed to get into a good Uni. Is it possible for me to just do some work experience and volunteer in a hospital or anything next year after I've done my GCSE?? Would that be enough for a strong application to a top Uni such as Oxbrige for medicine?
Believe I feel so depressed and sad sometimes but I never let that demotivate me because I know that step by step I will be able to achieve what I want...
What do you think?
Please let me know
Thank you

I’d say concentrate on your GCSE’s because remember depending on the course u wanna do they might ask a lot from u from both gcse and A-level. Like Medicine would ask u to have a 6 in English gcse as well as in the sciences and maths too so you can’t just get a 4/5.
I did voluntary work at a primary school when I finished GCSEs, since all schools would finish in June so I had a whole month to do experience in the primary school. I started in June 2022 and I’m still at the school today as a classroom assistant.
If u feel u can manage work experience and revising then it’s fine but then it’s important u get the grades too.
Id suggest if u do want something for ur statement make sure u get something relevant to ur chosen career if decided and a an extra curricular like u said with sports.
U could also mention any experience u had in Italy.

I would suggest also u could get hospital experience once a week then sports alongside that too. U can also do a lot of online work experiences as well if that would make it easier for u

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending