The Student Room Group

Masaryk University; is it worth going as an international student?

I gave the entrance for Masaryk 2 weeks ago and thankfully passed. My offer expires on 7th April.
I was planning to give the entrance for Charles 1st faculty but that takes place on 26th April which is after the offer for Masaryk expires. Charles LF1 has a higher ranking so I prefer it but there's also no guarantee I'll pass.
What would be the smarter decision? Accept the offer for Masaryk or wait for Charles?
Original post by Anonymous
I gave the entrance for Masaryk 2 weeks ago and thankfully passed. My offer expires on 7th April.
I was planning to give the entrance for Charles 1st faculty but that takes place on 26th April which is after the offer for Masaryk expires. Charles LF1 has a higher ranking so I prefer it but there's also no guarantee I'll pass.
What would be the smarter decision? Accept the offer for Masaryk or wait for Charles?

is this for medicine ?
Reply 2
Original post by Goldengirl2002
is this for medicine ?

yes
yes

I don't mean to alarm you, but when I was researching universities in the Czech Republic, I heard that the drop out rate is quite high and the pass rate is quite low. I highly recommend checking out these posts before accepting any offers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschoolEU/comments/i6cdp2/transfer_to_literally_anywhere_except_here/
https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschoolEU/comments/oc1eu0/czech_medical_university/
https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschoolEU/wiki/czech_republic/
Reply 4
I don't mean to alarm you, but when I was researching universities in the Czech Republic, I heard that the drop out rate is quite high and the pass rate is quite low. I highly recommend checking out these posts before accepting any offers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschoolEU/comments/i6cdp2/transfer_to_literally_anywhere_except_here/
https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschoolEU/comments/oc1eu0/czech_medical_university/
https://www.reddit.com/r/medicalschoolEU/wiki/czech_republic/

wow, thanks. not sure what to do at this moment since my options are either czech or poland.
wow, thanks. not sure what to do at this moment since my options are either czech or poland.

I can definitely understand what you are going through. Let me give you a third option...Italy. From all the countries in Europe I searched, I found Italy to be the best option. You do need to sit an entrance exam and there are also other things that need to be done as well. So if you like the idea of Italy, PM me and I'll give you some more information but if not, I would stick with Poland :smile:.

Good Luck !
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
I can definitely understand what you are going through. Let me give you a third option...Italy. From all the countries in Europe I searched, I found Italy to be the best option. You do need to sit an entrance exam and there are also other things that need to be done as well. So if you like the idea of Italy, PM me and I'll give you some more information but if not, I would stick with Poland :smile:.

Good Luck !

i hope italy isnt too expensive, but ill pm you regarding that. i would go with poland but I'm kind of scared considering the current political situation...i know czech is also in the same area but poland seems closer to the whole conflict
Reply 7

Good Luck !

well, i made my account yesterday so they're not allowing me to send you a message :frown:. could you inform me of what tuition fee to expect from universities in Italy? and the general criteria
well, i made my account yesterday so they're not allowing me to send you a message :frown:. could you inform me of what tuition fee to expect from universities in Italy? and the general criteria

Sure,
In Italy, there are 2 types of universities; public and private. The fee for public unis range from €400 euros to €5,200 + and for private unis (which are obviously more expensive) will range from €7,000 to €20,000+. To get into public Italian med schools you need to sit an entrance exam called the IMAT (private ones can also use the IMAT but they often have their own entrance tests). Once you have sat the IMAT (usually takes place in September) you will be ranked and the highest scoring candidates will be given a place at that particular university.

If you are an EU student you get to pick 5 universities and if you're an international student then you only get to pick 1 uni. (This is done before you sit the IMAT, in a process called pre-enrolment)

Pre - enrolment is a whole other process, where you need to send the Italian embassy your high school certificates/ transcripts so they can be translated and certified.

I found a great website that can guide you on this.
https://www.medschool.it/admissions/apply-from-uk-2/

Italian medical schools are quite competitive so I would keep Poland as a second option just incase. I know you're worried about the political situation but you need to remember that if anything were to happen you have the option of flying back home anytime you want :redface:

I hope I answered your questions. If you have anymore maybe try PMing me after a couple of days :smile:
Reply 9
Sure,
In Italy, there are 2 types of universities; public and private. The fee for public unis range from €400 euros to €5,200 + and for private unis (which are obviously more expensive) will range from €7,000 to €20,000+. To get into public Italian med schools you need to sit an entrance exam called the IMAT (private ones can also use the IMAT but they often have their own entrance tests). Once you have sat the IMAT (usually takes place in September) you will be ranked and the highest scoring candidates will be given a place at that particular university.

If you are an EU student you get to pick 5 universities and if you're an international student then you only get to pick 1 uni. (This is done before you sit the IMAT, in a process called pre-enrolment)

Pre - enrolment is a whole other process, where you need to send the Italian embassy your high school certificates/ transcripts so they can be translated and certified.

I found a great website that can guide you on this.
https://www.medschool.it/admissions/apply-from-uk-2/

Italian medical schools are quite competitive so I would keep Poland as a second option just incase. I know you're worried about the political situation but you need to remember that if anything were to happen you have the option of flying back home anytime you want :redface:

I hope I answered your questions. If you have anymore maybe try PMing me after a couple of days :smile:

Thank you SO much! I still can't PM you for some reason but I have a few more doubts as a non-EU student.
Around what time do you start the pre-enrolment process if you want to start medical school at around sep-oct 2022? (I'm assuming the deadline has passed but doesn't hurt to ask just in case!)
What is the 1 uni available for international students?
Do public and private Italian universities accept transfers?
Thank you SO much! I still can't PM you for some reason but I have a few more doubts as a non-EU student.
Around what time do you start the pre-enrolment process if you want to start medical school at around sep-oct 2022? (I'm assuming the deadline has passed but doesn't hurt to ask just in case!)
What is the 1 uni available for international students?
Do public and private Italian universities accept transfers?

No worries :smile:
I think you have until April for pre-enrolment (entry for October/November 2022), so you better get moving !
If you go to this website https://www.medschool.it/medschools-italy/ (the one I linked above) it has all the information regarding which unis accept international student and which unis teach the course in English.

I would say no, they do not accept transfers. If you have you restart the whole course if you want to go to an Italian uni.

Hope this helped !
No worries :smile:
I think you have until April for pre-enrolment (entry for October/November 2022), so you better get moving !
If you go to this website https://www.medschool.it/medschools-italy/ (the one I linked above) it has all the information regarding which unis accept international student and which unis teach the course in English.

I would say no, they do not accept transfers. If you have you restart the whole course if you want to go to an Italian uni.

Hope this helped !

It definitely did, thank you!!!
I was planning to give the entrance for Charles 1st faculty but that takes place on 26th April wHhich is after the offer for Masaryk expires. Charles LF1 has a higher ranking so I prefer it but there's also no guarantee I'll pass.

How was the entrance exam? was it easy?

Hi, I am selected for Masaryk University too. Although I have Charles 1,2,and HK still. Pending but I would stil go ahead and confirm my place for Masaryk. I read the reviews and they are pretty much positive. End of the day it is the students own efforts that matters.

Ranking doesn’t really matter for medical schools, especially for undergraduate. You learn the same things you would anywhere else, and you can always choose to do your masters at Charles or any other university <3
Reply 15
Hey,
I got into Charles uni HK (med) but I am unsure about accepting the offer after knowing about the dropout rates.
Original post by KEYA12
Hey,
I got into Charles uni HK (med) but I am unsure about accepting the offer after knowing about the dropout rates.

Hi! I know the dropout rates might look intimidating, but if you have your priorities right and you’re dedicated, manage your time efficiently and don’t do reckless behaviour, you have a much lower chance of being a dropout. If you really want to go to this Uni and it’s been on your mind for a long time, go for it <3
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending