The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Glad you managed to get out for a bit: well done you! See how you go with the post-dinner wander :hugs:

Oooh, what tickets have you got? :gah:

Showjumping, third day of the 3 day eventing - means a medal ceremony and a lot of tension :awesome:

May not go any more, really not feeling good :frown: But I know that if I don't then it's just going to get worse. Plus it's just got really overcast and stormy looking...
mood is somewhat stable atm, well, not triggered like I was last night at least, helped someone out and that helped keep my mind off myself tbh :tongue:

still not sure about the diazepam, I am wary of risks of taking it but at the same time if things get bad is it really worse than SH/drinking?
Hi. :wavey: Long-time lurker, but I've only just signed up to TSR, hence this being my first post in the forum. I've got depression and anxiety, and after struggling a lot with uni this year, I'm considering going part-time next year (at the suggestion of my uni) whilst I try and get better (so far two forms of CBT and 2 types of AD have done nothing for me, and things have just got worse). I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of going part-time because of depression (from browsing the forums, I think superwolf does?), and if I'll still be eligible for Student Finance if I do decide to. The impression I get is that I won't be if I'm part-time, but I'm wondering if it's different if you do it for medical reasons. I'm planning on ringing SFE as well, but was wondering what people's experiences are.

Thanks. :smile:
On leave from hospital :smile:

Still feeling pretty rubbish. I had all of my belongings taken off me for 5 days because I was told I was too much of a risk to myself. I understand why everything was taken from me but I don't want to be safe, so frustrating. Still no idea of how long I'm going to be there, at the moment hospital feels like home and my house feels strange.

Hope everybody is doing OK :hugs:
Reply 3984
Original post by Anonymous
On leave from hospital :smile:

Still feeling pretty rubbish. I had all of my belongings taken off me for 5 days because I was told I was too much of a risk to myself. I understand why everything was taken from me but I don't want to be safe, so frustrating. Still no idea of how long I'm going to be there, at the moment hospital feels like home and my house feels strange.

Hope everybody is doing OK :hugs:

:hugs:
Reply 3985
Had a good day today but my mood can only go so far. Still feeling just about ok.

And I think things are going to come to the stage where I drop ICT at A2 :eek: :eek:. I wanted to do something related to that at uni but I just can't survive the next few months :cry2:
Repped. So much love for this song :love: :love: :love:

Appreciate the major lovage :hugs:
I'm on ESA for depression, I feel like a failure. I can't just go out and get a job because more than likely they will sack me unless I get REALLY lucky and get a job I can do, which will mean I can't get JSA then!
Reply 3988
Had an amazing dream last night - I had a girlfriend :biggrin:. Just wish I could get one in real life :sad: :colondollar:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S
I had the worst day yesterday so far of my entire life.

I didn't go to sleep the night before and had to go to hospital for an appointment. That went okay in my mind, but in my subconscious it was stirring up my anxiety. I got home and wrecked havoc. My parents are away on holiday I had noone to come help me or see me or anything I was in my room huddled in a corner trying to calm myself down. I ended up calling 999 and then when they left I called NHS direct and out of hours fifty million times. I eventually fell asleep about 5pm woke up at 1am fell asleep at 3am woke up at 9am and went to the doctors.

They've put me on sertraline 50mg for a week then up to 100mg after that. Does anyone have any experience with sertraline? I don't want to start taking it until my parents get back incase it affects me weirdly.
mm, anyone know much about lack of appetite with their depression?

mine has been really really low last couple of weeks, and is getting worse, last two days I have managed only half a main meal before not being able to eat anymore :erm:

its nothing urgent or anything, but just be interested to know if this is normal for people with depression?
Reply 3991
Original post by SciFiRory
mm, anyone know much about lack of appetite with their depression?

mine has been really really low last couple of weeks, and is getting worse, last two days I have managed only half a main meal before not being able to eat anymore :erm:

its nothing urgent or anything, but just be interested to know if this is normal for people with depression?

I think it's pretty normal - certainly within the diagnostic criteria.
Some people experience decreased appetite, others increased.

Original post by Nut.
I think it's pretty normal - certainly within the diagnostic criteria.
Some people experience decreased appetite, others increased.

ah okay, mm, is weird I think I used to have increased as well, but for now it seems to be decreased a lot, is confusing!

thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 3993
Original post by SciFiRory
ah okay, mm, is weird I think I used to have increased as well, but for now it seems to be decreased a lot, is confusing!

thank you for the reply :smile:

Yeah I think it can vary throughout episodes.

I find what I eat affects my hunger and cravings.
When I was depressed over the winter months I was eating an unholy amount of carbohydrates (mostly in the form of biscuits/ cakes etc.) for weeks on end and I could feel completely full (to the point of feeling sick) yet still want to stuff more in my mouth.
Was very unpleasant.

When I noticed that trend I cut out the junk and ate only whole, real foods and my appetite regulated itself, then my moods levelled out pretty soon afterwards, which is what makes me think my depression/ bipolar symptoms are a lot more diet/ omega 3/ sugar/ sleep based than I'd previously thought.
Original post by insignificant
I had the worst day yesterday so far of my entire life.

I didn't go to sleep the night before and had to go to hospital for an appointment. That went okay in my mind, but in my subconscious it was stirring up my anxiety. I got home and wrecked havoc. My parents are away on holiday I had noone to come help me or see me or anything I was in my room huddled in a corner trying to calm myself down. I ended up calling 999 and then when they left I called NHS direct and out of hours fifty million times. I eventually fell asleep about 5pm woke up at 1am fell asleep at 3am woke up at 9am and went to the doctors.

They've put me on sertraline 50mg for a week then up to 100mg after that. Does anyone have any experience with sertraline? I don't want to start taking it until my parents get back incase it affects me weirdly.

:hugs: Sounds pretty scary. I'm glad you're safe now and that you made it to the doctors :console:

I have to take 100mg of Sertraline twice a day (that's the highest dose possible, I think). I haven't really noticed any side effects. Possibly weight gain but then I've always overeaten, so it's hard to tell :biggrin:
:hugs: Sounds pretty scary. I'm glad you're safe now and that you made it to the doctors :console:

I have to take 100mg of Sertraline twice a day (that's the highest dose possible, I think). I haven't really noticed any side effects. Possibly weight gain but then I've always overeaten, so it's hard to tell :biggrin:

I just find it crazy how the mind works. One minute I can feel like I'm gonna die, the next minute I can be fine like I am now, able to sit here and go on my laptop and be occupied.

At first did it not make you feel worse? Did you notice that it made you feel any better at all?

I've to go back after three weeks once this medicine runs out.
I just find it crazy how the mind works. One minute I can feel like I'm gonna die, the next minute I can be fine like I am now, able to sit here and go on my laptop and be occupied.

At first did it not make you feel worse? Did you notice that it made you feel any better at all?

I've to go back after three weeks once this medicine runs out.

Tbh I had been on Mirtazapine beforehand, which didn't really work well for me. So compared to that, I didn't/haven't noticed anything with Sertraline. For a long time I thought it wasn't really doing anything but my psychiatrist thinks otherwise, so I dunno :dontknow:
Tbh I had been on Mirtazapine beforehand, which didn't really work well for me. So compared to that, I didn't/haven't noticed anything with Sertraline. For a long time I thought it wasn't really doing anything but my psychiatrist thinks otherwise, so I dunno :dontknow:

Well.. guess theres only one way to find out! Thanks for replying to me :smile:
Exams are overrrrrrrrr :woo: :woo: :woo:
Well.. guess theres only one way to find out! Thanks for replying to me :smile:

No worries. I hope it works out for you :smile:

Original post by ViceVersa
Exams are overrrrrrrrr :woo: :woo: :woo:

:woo: :yeah: :awesome: :dance: :woo:

I'm feeling quite down now. Just learnt that all of the Music Finalists from my Oxford college (they were first year when I was third year) got Firsts. Obviously that's a huge achievement and part of me is thrilled for them... but it's just another reminder of how cheated and badly let down I was, when it came to trying to sit my own Finals :nopity:

Latest