The Student Room Group

AQA Human Biology unit 4 (HBIO4) - 15th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what did everyne write about the advantages about agnostic muscles? :s-smilie: Didn't really understand :/
Reply 21
Original post by Doctor.
I said it had a high chance, since the restriction enzyme didn't work! :s-smilie:

The baby shouldn't have sickle cell anemia... nor does it have the trait. Only 110 length DNA was present which means that the enzyme did not work on any strands of the DNA of the fetus. The baby inherited the H^a alleles from both the mother and father.
That is what I think :smile:
I didn't like the fetus question and I didn't like the footballer question. Everything else went ok :smile: hard to tell how you've done with Human Biology though! :/
Reply 23
Original post by Doctor.
what did everyne write about the advantages about agnostic muscles? :s-smilie: Didn't really understand :/

1. When one muscle contracts, the other is relaxing - does not overwork muscles.
2. Arms can move both ways: both forwards and backwards.

I think!
Original post by rudxorrla
The baby shouldn't have sickle cell anemia... nor does it have the trait. Only 110 length DNA was present which means that the enzyme did not work on any strands of the DNA of the fetus. The baby inherited the H^a alleles from both the mother and father.

That's exactly what I wrote, hope it's right! hmmm.....
1. When one muscle contracts, the other is relaxing - does not overwork muscles.

I think!

Arms can't move backwards though and in past exams students have been marked down for saying arm moves backwards. I said arm is able to bend at the elbow and one is able to rest while the other contracts.
Reply 26

Exactly only 110 DNA was present, it didn't cut the DNA at all! The whole point of the restriction enzyme was to cut the NORMAL DNA - if the normal DNA is not present then no cutting will occur. The DNA did not get cut hence the baby will have .

PS the parents will have to have the gene as sickle cell is co-dominent. They produce both forms of DNA hence will have BOTH alleles present
Reply 27
Original post by TerminalVelocity
I didn't like the fetus question and I didn't like the footballer question. Everything else went ok :smile: hard to tell how you've done with Human Biology though! :/
so true, although my teacher is AQA examiner for Biology :tongue: so it does help a little when he went through the paper with me lol :frown: (had to beg him :colondollar:)
Reply 28

I think!

That's what I wrote too lol although it was like 3 marks :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by Doctor.
Exactly only 110 DNA was present, it didn't cut the DNA at all! The whole point of the restriction enzyme was to cut the NORMAL DNA - if the normal DNA is not present then no cutting will occur. The DNA did not get cut hence the baby will have .

PS the parents will have to have the gene as sickle cell is co-dominent. They produce both forms of DNA hence will have BOTH alleles present

Actually the Dder enzyme was to cut the DNA that coded for sickle-cell anemia. Yes the parents are heterozygous and so there is a chance that they can have a baby without the sickle-cell trait.
Reply 30
That's exactly what I wrote, hope it's right! hmmm.....

That was such a tricky question though :frown: That really got me at the start :sigh:
Reply 31
Actually the Dder enzyme was to cut the DNA that coded for sickle-cell anemia. Yes the parents are heterozygous and so there is a chance that they can have a baby without the sickle-cell trait.

Nope, the text at the start said it will cut the normal one. the DNA without - ie one with mutation would not get cut.
I'm really curious about this sickle-cell question now! lol anyone got the paper?
Reply 33
I'm really curious about this sickle-cell question now! lol anyone got the paper?

Not any more, but I'm sure you've got it right.
Reply 34
How did you guys find the hormones questions?
Original post by Doctor.
How did you guys find the hormones questions?

mind has completely gone blank, what were the hormone questions? I can remember the definition question and the 5 mark one during pregnancy that was a nice question.
Reply 36
mind has completely gone blank, what were the hormone questions? I can remember the definition question and the 5 mark one during pregnancy that was a nice question.

Don't think I got the definition right, but yeah the 5 marker description was pretty nice :biggrin:

Can't really remember the rest :frown: There was the last question, the asked about the person news reporter thinking alcohol and caffeine affect FSH concentration.

did you have to talk about the:

-Sample size
-Age range (FSH concentration in older women may be higher)
-the P>0.05
Original post by Doctor.
Don't think I got the definition right, but yeah the 5 marker description was pretty nice :biggrin:

Can't really remember the rest :frown: There was the last question, the asked about the person news reporter thinking alcohol and caffeine affect FSH concentration.

did you have to talk about the:

-Sample size
-Age range (FSH concentration in older women may be higher)
-the P>0.05

Yeah I said all that and that some of the women may have started their menopause so the concentrations of FSH may have been affected by this. I can remember writing about 10 points for this question but completely forgot what else I wrote lol.
Reply 38
Yeah I said all that and that some of the women may have started their menopause so the concentrations of FSH may have been affected by this. I can remember writing about 10 points for this question but completely forgot what else I wrote lol.

the Bt gene questions were OK, still pretty hard to realise what the actual mark points were :frown:

On the whole it seemed like a bad'ish paper tbh :frown:
Original post by Doctor.
the Bt gene questions were OK, still pretty hard to realise what the actual mark points were :frown:

On the whole it seemed like a bad'ish paper tbh :frown:

Hopefully someone will put an unofficial mark scheme up soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending