The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you believe in a superior race?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
It would be foolish for anyone to dismiss the possibility of certain races having predispositions to certain traits out of hand. In the same way I think it is un-scientific to dismiss differences in, say, intelligence or social skills between genders. Personally I haven't done or read any serious study of this, so make no judgement about which races or gender is 'better' at what, but as someone who strives to be a scientist it would be stupid to reject it simply because it might be emotionally unpalatable.

However the acknowledgement that it is possible that these differences exist does not go at odds with idea that all individuals have equal rights. In the same way we accept that one person being more intelligent than another gives them more rights or privileges.

Nor is it at odds with treating people on their own merits, rather than on the perceived merits of their gender/race.
Original post by Pyramidologist
"The results for phenotypic data indicate that when all morphological information is used to compute the dissimilarity fraction, this index does not even reach 0.35 as its smallest value. Considering that the maximum value for ω is 0.50, the dissimilarity fraction for human cranial morphology is considerably high and supports the statement that two individuals of the same population are often more different than two individuals from different populations. [...]

The high dissimilarity fraction that we obtained using a data set that has been shown to have a strong geographic organization (Howells 1973, 1989) demonstrates that this organization is less structured than previously thought. To be more precise, when an index not designed to accentuate differences between groups is used, the contrast in skull shape between three major regions of the globe (Europe, Asia, and Africa) becomes ephemeral [...]

[C]lassificatory analyses achieve high levels of success because they depend on the a priori definition of group centroids. As a consequence, when a large number of variables is considered, the probability that this kind of analysis will find a dimension in the original data that differentiates among the a priori defined groups is high. Yet the precise biological significance of this kind of difference is hard to establish, especially when the high values of dissimilarity fractions reported here are considered. High rates of correct discrimination of groups can thus be misleading in understanding the structure of human biological diversity" (Strauss and Hubbe, 2010).

When an index not designed to accentuate difference between south and north Japanese people is used, the contrast in skull shape between south and north Japanese becomes ephemeral.

Do you understand the logical discontinuity in saying your measure is more important than the Japanese one?
lol. In all craniometric studies southern Japanese cluster with northern Japanese. They are both Mongoloid. You just don't it....

If you are interested in measurements:

GOL = maximum glabella-occipital cranial length, XCB =
maximum cranial breadth, BBH = basion-bregma cranial
height, BNL = basion-nasion length, BPL = basionprosthion
length, MAB = external palate breadth, AUB =
bi-auricular cranial breadth, UFHT = upper facial height,
UFBR = upper facial breadth (across the anterior
frontals), NLH = nasal height, NLB = nasal breadth, OBB
= orbital breadth, OBH = orbital height, EKB = bi-orbital
breadth (across the ectoconchia), DKB = interorbital
breadth (between dacrya), FRC = frontal chord length,
PAC = parietal chord length, OCC = occipital chord
length, FOL = foramen magnum length, ZYB =
bizygomatic breadth.

All of these things cluster north & south Japanese together. Like most inhabitants of East Asia, they cluster as Mongoloid based on those metrics. Btw, Howells used the above and loads more measurements (57 in total)... none of the data is biased. It confirms the reality of race.

You clearly know what you are talking about. You should start editing wikipedia articles, especially ones related to these topics. There are too many wiki editors who allow their marxist politics alter scientific articles.
Original post by whyumadtho
Because a priori systems of categorisation have been used. :facepalm: Equally a priori systems of categorisation could be selected that differentiate between north and south Japanese people, which is what that study did.

You are still relying on circular reasoning.

The fact is, south Japanese and north Japanese are far more similar to each other than caucasoids or negroids. Sure you can say that race is an arbitrary notion. Why did we draw the line there? Well for a fact, race is self identified. We aren't taking a black person and telling him, hey you, you're black. Every single time they self identify. Same with all other races. And scientific tests show that a person who self identifies as a race and be genetically shown to be of that race 99% of the time.
Original post by OmeletteAuFromage
The fact is, south Japanese and north Japanese are far more similar to each other than caucasoids or negroids. Sure you can say that race is an arbitrary notion. Why did we draw the line there? Well for a fact, race is self identified. We aren't taking a black person and telling him, hey you, you're black. Every single time they self identify. Same with all other races. And scientific tests show that a person who self identifies as a race and be genetically shown to be of that race 99% of the time.
Yet, the common consensus in biology, genetics and anthropology is that 'race' doesn't exist in any meaningful or agreed form, which I like to think are the most accurate indicators of the distribution of genomic data. Biological variation exists as a gradient, not as discrete clusters or 'races'.

It shows people can locate themselves to a broad geographic region. They can further locate themselves to increasingly specific regions if they so wished. There is no logical reason to stop at a continental scale. As I said earlier, if there were a 'race' called 'Eurafrican', people would also be able to say they are of this 'race' with a high degree of accuracy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fallen
It would be foolish for anyone to dismiss the possibility of certain races having predispositions to certain traits out of hand. In the same way I think it is un-scientific to dismiss differences in, say, intelligence or social skills between genders. Personally I haven't done or read any serious study of this, so make no judgement about which races or gender is 'better' at what, but as someone who strives to be a scientist it would be stupid to reject it simply because it might be emotionally unpalatable.

However the acknowledgement that it is possible that these differences exist does not go at odds with idea that all individuals have equal rights. In the same way we accept that one person being more intelligent than another gives them more rights or privileges.

Nor is it at odds with treating people on their own merits, rather than on the perceived merits of their gender/race.

Apparently race is more of a social than a biological construct. Take a look at this article.

Summary of article if TLDR:

There are four facts about human variation upon which there is universal agreement. First, any two unrelated human beings differ by about 3 million distinct DNA variants. By far the largest amount of that variation, about 85%, is among individuals within local national or linguistic populations, within the French, within the Kikuyu, within the Japanese.

Of the remaining 15% of human variation, between a quarter and a half is between local populations within classically defined human “races,” between the French and the Ukrainians, between the Kikuyu and the Ewe, between the Japanese and the Koreans.

The remaining variation, about 6% to 10% of the total human variation is between the classically defined geographical races that we think of in an everyday sense as identified by skin color, hair form, and nose shape.

When we see someone of a different race some think in totally digital concepts, just as black seems so different from white. Actually the genetic evidence tends to suggest the contrary; we are much more alike than we imagine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by Blutooth
Apparently race is more of a social than a biological construct. Take a look at this article.

Summary of article if TLDR:

There are four facts about human variation upon which there is universal agreement. First, any two unrelated human beings differ by about 3 million distinct DNA variants. By far the largest amount of that variation, about 85%, is among individuals within local national or linguistic populations, within the French, within the Kikuyu, within the Japanese.

Of the remaining 15% of human variation, between a quarter and a half is between local populations within classically defined human “races,” between the French and the Ukrainians, between the Kikuyu and the Ewe, between the Japanese and the Koreans.

The remaining variation, about 6% to 10% of the total human variation is between the classically defined geographical races that we think of in an everyday sense as identified by skin color, hair form, and nose shape.

When we see someone of a different race some think in totally digital concepts, just as black seems so different from white. Actually the genetic evidence tends to suggest the contrary; we are much more alike than we imagine.

Well I actually always assumed we are more alike than different, not they I think about it much.

The truth is that in every day life we should treat each other as individuals anyway, so unless I intend on actually doing original research on it myself (which I don't) it makes little difference.

I just find it annoying when people dismiss the possibility on emotional grounds.
Original post by OmeletteAuFromage
You clearly know what you are talking about. You should start editing wikipedia articles, especially ones related to these topics. There are too many wiki editors who allow their marxist politics alter scientific articles.

Couldn't agree more, the worst page is the ''race of ancient egyptian controversy'' article. I've actually added a few things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantid_race
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Arthur_Abbie

I have more contributions but were on different IP's (as i used to edit from my University server). I don't go on there much anymore, but i basically check the page on Caucasoids, as it is often vandalised.
I don't think any race is automatically superior BUT through oppression, discrimination, inequality, prejudice, stigma etc etc some races are disadvantaged, allowing others to gain superiority.
So, using apartheid South Africa as an example as it's where I'm from and I can speak with experience. It is undeniable and indisputable (seriously, no point in even trying to challenge this next statement) that black people in South Africa commit huge amounts of barbaric crime; much more than the white population and so some see the whites as superior.
HOWEVER, they're not automatically superior in my opinion. They have oppressed the black population to the point that they live in squalor whilst the majority of whites live in luxury. Through poverty, most have no education.
So, no education + poverty = crime.
It's not race- it's the social conditioning, environment and experiences of the ethnic group.
If the situations were reversed, the whites would commit most crime. Basically, it's not skin colour, it's the environment in which people find themselves and no race is automatically superior in any way; rather, they are made 'superior' through the oppression of others, such as depriving certain races of education... thereby ensuring the oppressive race is more educated and more likely to be seen as superior.
Original post by whyumadtho
Yet, the common consensus in biology, genetics and anthropology is that 'race' doesn't exist in any meaningful or agreed form, which I like to think are the most accurate indicators of the distribution of genomic data. Biological variation exists as a gradient, not as discrete clusters or 'races'.

It shows people can locate themselves to a broad geographic region. They can further locate themselves to increasingly specific regions if they so wished. There is no logical reason to stop at a continental scale. As I said earlier, if there were a 'race' called 'Eurafrican', people would also be able to say they are of this 'race' with a high degree of accuracy.

:biggrin: Eurafrican is synonymous with Caucasoid. It was coined by Guiseppe Sergi in 1901. It actually exists as an anthropological term.
Original post by Fallen
Well I actually always assumed we are more alike than different, not they I think about it much.

Me, too.

The truth is that in every day life we should treat each other as individuals anyway, so unless I intend on actually doing original research on it myself (which I don't) it makes little difference.

I just find it annoying when people dismiss the possibility on emotional grounds.

Emotional is an "easy" word to use. Why are these people emotional about it? it's because they feel the same way about other races as you do. They feel as though we are more similar than different and also believe in the rights of man regardless of his race, creed and intelligence. This is a gut feeling they have; and some are just not so good at vocalising their opinions when they feel so strongly about something. Not to mention some may have been discriminated against in the past. It's not a question they want to think about scientifically because justice and the equality of man, to them, isn't really scientific.

But yeah I do get your point- some people can be really irrational- like women. :tongue:

woman-logic-15907.jpg 3572536_700b.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
We're all different.

Due to healthcare, those with genes that would not enable them to survive in the wild have been passed on. Therefore opposed to the physically and mentally good genes being passed on, the inefficient ones are too. It's a horrible time to live in to be honest.

The Jews are a powerful race.
(edited 11 years ago)
Couldn't agree more, the worst page is the ''race of ancient egyptian controversy'' article. I've actually added a few things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantid_race
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Arthur_Abbie

I have more contributions but were on different IP's (as i used to edit from my University server). I don't go on there much anymore, but i basically check the page on Caucasoids, as it is often vandalised.

You must be Onion Hotdog then :smile:
I haven't been on in a while, I've done some contributions but every now and then some angry wiki editor starts harassing me and stalking all my contributions. I even got reported once to the admins for being a 'nazi apologist'. :rolleyes:
I swear these guys are worse than real nazis.
Reply 213
Yes. Asians are superior (Indians/Chinese). We are smarter and achieve more in school. We are well represented in respectable fields of employment. We are generally more hard working and hungry for success, and we are successful despite being in a system that is set up to privilege others.

Plus, despite being enslaved and plundered for 300-400 years, it will take less than 100 years for those Asian powers to surpass the old colonial powers and re-gain their position at the top, and that's without having to enslave or plunder anyone.

So...yes Asians are the superior race, and once we regain our rightful place we will **** you and eat your babies. :bigsmile:
There is no sense with this argument. You do realise before European colonisation of parts of Sub-Sahara Africa, the Negroids never had a civilization. The stereotype ''mud hut'' image of Sub-Sahara Africa exists for a reason, since prior to European contact, the Negroid tribes were living still in the Stone Age. You can't blame their non-progressiveness on ''oppression'', because historically prior to European colonisation they were incredibly primitive.

Negroids...christ (not going to lie, I laughed).

ANYWAY, I can see the point you're making but had South Africa not been colonised and hugely oppressed, the blacks may have superceded the whites in terms of development over time. In this situation, it can only be guessed as oppression isn't new in South Africa...so your opinion is as good as mine. Also, superiority doesn't necessarily mean who develops fastest which is what your comment seems to imply. I was merely pointing out that some races, ethnicities, cultures, whatever, aren't given the opportunity and are oppressed by other races...meaning other races get to develop further and others are oppressed.

Are you saying that oppression has not impacted their ability to develop or progress further as a race..? In which case, please, do your research...go look up some negroid tribes :wink: and get back to me with sound evidence which shows that blacks in South Africa aren't oppressed (since you put it in quotation marks) or that oppression has not impacted their development.
Original post by intermediary

ANYWAY, I can see the point you're making but had South Africa not been colonised and hugely oppressed, the blacks may have superceded the whites in terms of development over time. In this situation, it can only be guessed as oppression isn't new in South Africa...so your opinion is as good as mine. Also, superiority doesn't necessarily mean who develops fastest which is what your comment seems to imply. I was merely pointing out that some races, ethnicities, cultures, whatever, aren't given the opportunity and are oppressed by other races...meaning other races get to develop further and others are oppressed.

Are you saying that oppression has not impacted their ability to develop or progress further as a race..? In which case, please, do your research...go look up some negroid tribes :wink: and get back to me with sound evidence which shows that blacks in South Africa aren't oppressed (since you put it in quotation marks) or that oppression has not impacted their development.

I don't know what you mean by oppression. What European colonisation brought to South Africa was wealth and prosperity. And by the way, the indigenous peoples there are the Capoids (Bushmen). Negroids have been exterminating the Bushmen long prior to European colonisation. South Africa is not even Negroid land, it belongs to the Bushmen. I don't personally agree with colonisation, but at the same time i don't believe in collective guilt - so regardless of who got oppressed long ago, it means nothing to me.
Well yeah, there is an intellectual hierarchy.

(i)Mathematicians / Theoretical Physicists
(ii)Other Physicists
(iii)Other Scientific Disciplines
(iv)Arts
(v)Plebs / people who don't have any intellectual endeavour within them and who don't understand most of the stuff from the above categories (sadly, this describes most people).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by intermediary

Negroid is a correct scientific term.
There is no sense with this argument. You do realise before European colonisation of parts of Sub-Sahara Africa, the Negroids never had a civilization. The stereotype ''mud hut'' image of Sub-Sahara Africa exists for a reason, since prior to European contact, the Negroid tribes were living still in the Stone Age. You can't blame their non-progressiveness on ''oppression'', because historically prior to European colonisation they were incredibly primitive.

You make it seem as though there was no civilisation and culture when in fact there was there was lots of stuff: even borrowed mathematics and astronomy from the arabs. There was musical development, writing and engineering too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Great_Mosque_of_Djenn%C3%A9_1.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Ashanti
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kumasi.png
http://wysinger.homestead.com/ogiso.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songhai_Empire

None of these civilisations is more primitive than Britain 2 thousand years ago. 2 thousand years is but a footstep in the journey of mankind's evolution. There is no racial superiority in that.

And no, I think Africa would have done a lot better without colonisation. There was some good like schools and roads etc but pales into insignificance in the grand scheme of things. The colonial masters drew up the map of Africa in such a way that we would be beset with all kinds of cultural/ politic and religious dischord. It would have been better to start from the bottom with properly defined boarders, than having these constant civil wars, corruption and tribal politics disrupting progress.

I feel obliged to remind you, since your posts are beginning to assume some sense of unearned superiority, that you are not your ancestors, you're just some random internet troll. Keep on undermining other cultures; you're showing yourself to be such a great credit to yours.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth
You make it seem as though there was no civilisation and culture when in fact there was there was lots of stuff: even borrowed mathematics and astronomy from the arabs. There was musical development, writing and engineering too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Great_Mosque_of_Djenn%C3%A9_1.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Ashanti
http://wysinger.homestead.com/ogiso.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songhai_Empire

None of these civilisations is more primitive than Britain 2 thousand years ago. 2 thousand years is but a footstep in the journey of mankind's evolution. There is no racial superiority in that.

And no, I think Africa would have done a lot better without colonisation. There was some good like schools and roads etc but pales into insignificance in the grand scheme of things. The colonial masters drew up the map of Africa in such a way that we would be beset with all kinds of cultural/ politic and religious dischord. It would have been better to start from the bottom with properly defined boarders, than having these constant civil wars, corruption and tribal politics disrupting progress.

I feel obliged to remind you, since your posts are beginning to assume some sense of unearned superiority, that you are not your ancestors, you're just some random internet troll. Keep on undermining other cultures; you're showing yourself to be such a great credit to yours.

Those oversized sand castles sure do look very impressive. My were those blacks so extremely advanced.
/sarcasm

Latest

Trending

Trending