The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry F321 Exam. - [Next Tuesday[

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride
I had to leave magnesium till last, the question was just taking me too long to get. I got just when they said pens down lol.

Some have said anhydrous was something like 7.9? It sounds familiar but I really don't remember to be honest. I was trying to be very careful I didn't lose any marks, that was my focus really...

Can't remember the numbers, but you had to get the moles of the hydrated thiosulfate, then multiply that by the MR of the anhydrous substance - obviously 1:1 stoich (Thiosulfate+5waters ---> Thiosulfate + 5H2O), and mass = moles by MR.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by JoeLatics
Can't remember the numbers, but you had to get the moles of the hydrated thiosulfate, then multiply that by the MR of the anhydrous substance - obviously 1:1 stoich (Thiosulfate+5waters ---> Thiosulfate + 5H2O), and mass = moles by MR.

one question did you have to say losses 2 electrons for the oxidation ? if u say loss of electrons will they allow that?
Reply 1182
Original post by Pride
I had to leave magnesium till last, the question was just taking me too long to get. I got just when they said pens down lol.

Some have said anhydrous was something like 7.9? It sounds familiar but I really don't remember to be honest. I was trying to be very careful I didn't lose any marks, that was my focus really...

I'm fairly certain I put down 7. something, really can't remember the paper very well and it was only a day ago haha. Yeah, really worrying that the one mark losses will add up, I want about 80 UMS in this paper.

No chance or it'd be 0 for an A every year. They figure it out based on how well everyone has done - if people are getting worse than usual, they boundaries will be lower and vice versa.

No higher than 48 this year I reckon, Y12s at my 6th form didn't like it at all, and Y13 resitters were dropping marks too.

Yeah that's the vibe I was getting as well, Y12s seemed to hate it, and only me and one other resitter thought it went quite well. I think it was about the same difficulty as Jan '12, the A boundary could really be anywhere from 45-49.
Original post by blue012
yh i tohught that was a tricky one it wasnt your average dot and cross. It was actually ionic even though it said dot and cross i got confused into drawing covalent bonds. In the end i had NH4 + in one bracket then in the other bracket the dot and cross with Cl (having gaine one electron form NH4) with a -. I didnt show dot and cross in the NH4.

Im pretty sure you had to draw dot and cross for covalent bonding in the one bracket, showing the dative covalent bond! so it was an ionic dot-cross with a covalent dot-cross in one with a dative covalent bond! pretty weird stuff!
hey every one, does anyone know if any one has posted the paper or where i would be able to find the paper.
Original post by Jay Singh
how is it wrong when something has a charge + or - its always (aq) and i found the question paper on google it asked for magnesium not al so
get it right also the acid is h2so3 but i wrote h2so4 :frown:

here the link search it for your self and then say im right and your wrong lol

http://getrevising.co.uk/files/documents/f321_chemistry_may_2012_mark_scheme/Unit%201%20Chemistry%20MAY%202012%20Answers.pdf

In the paper on the link you provided he put down 94.3 as the relative atomic mass but the question states deduce the relative atomic mass of the group 2 metal. Shouldn't that be 24.3?
Reply 1186
No chance or it'd be 0 for an A every year. They figure it out based on how well everyone has done - if people are getting worse than usual, they boundaries will be lower and vice versa.

No higher than 48 this year I reckon, Y12s at my 6th form didn't like it at all, and Y13 resitters were dropping marks too.

on the other hand, it was considered very nice at my school. So it's hard to tell.
is 48/60 an A?
Original post by meissnereffect
In the paper on the link you provided he put down 94.3 as the relative atomic mass but the question states deduce the relative atomic mass of the group 2 metal. Shouldn't that be 24.3?

Does is say the relative atomic mass of the group 2 metal?
Coooocckkk, I put 94.3
Original post by Lauraaa12
Coooocckkk, I put 94.3

Uh oh... Same here.
Reply 1191
Coooocckkk, I put 94.3

90 something, - 2 x 35.5 = 24.3
you were meant to put down the group 2 metal, ahh that must be so annoying.
Original post by Pride

That is annoying! Oh well, should only be one mark cus I put Mg down and all my working was right
WHY DO I NEVER READ QUESTIONS PROPERLY
Ahaaa, A-levelsssss :s-smilie:
Original post by Pride

pride mate i counted mine all up i got like 12 wrong do you rekon thats a b or a a? :/
Reply 1194
Original post by Craming Revision
pride mate i counted mine all up i got like 12 wrong do you rekon thats a b or a a? :/

well I don't know, that's 48 out of 60, I just don't know. It was considered an easy paper in my school, in other schools it was considered hard. So I don't know what the grade boundary'll be like. That is exactly 80% raw marks though isn't it.
Reply 1195
That is annoying! Oh well, should only be one mark cus I put Mg down and all my working was right
WHY DO I NEVER READ QUESTIONS PROPERLY
Ahaaa, A-levelsssss :s-smilie:

annoying.

I did something like that in maths, did the hard bit, forgot to subs back in. I was so sure I'd done the rest of that C1 paper correct, I was so sure of full marks...

what can you do eh?
Coooocckkk, I put 94.3

I don't think it was the relative atomic mass of the group 2 metal, as first of all, why would they ask for someone just to copy a number from the periodic table, and secondly on the paper they say 'give the relative atomic mass to one decimal place' therefore implying they want it of the whole compoud (not that i got this question right at all...it was terrible)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1197
Original post by ellie.may
I don't think it was the relative atomic mass of the group 2 metal, as first of all, why would they ask for someone just to copy a number from the periodic table, and secondly on the paper they say 'give the relative atomic mass to one decimal place' therefore implying they want it of the whole compoud (not that i got this question right at all...it was terrible)

They asked for the relative atomic mass, not the relative molecular mass.
Original post by Pride
annoying.

I did something like that in maths, did the hard bit, forgot to subs back in. I was so sure I'd done the rest of that C1 paper correct, I was so sure of full marks...

what can you do eh?

pride i like you... what other exams have you got mate? got english tomorow not lookin forward to it what so ever
Reply 1199
Original post by ellie.may

for those of us that did do the question and got it right it did want the RAM of the metal actually, and when calculated, it was exactly 24 and a third, which rounds to 24.3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending