The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry F321 Exam. - [Next Tuesday[

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by TheFootyKing19
Write an equation, with state symbols, to represent the first ionisation energy of barium?
Explain why Iodine has a low boiling point but diamond has a high boiling point?
Carbon dioxide, methane and water have molecules with different bond angles?

Ba(g) ---> Ba+(g) +e-

Iodine is diatomic, exists in a simple molecular structure. There are only van der Waals forces between the diatomic molecules, these are weak forces, less energy is required to overcome them and change iodine's state.

Diamond exists in a giant covalent lattice, the carbon atoms are each held in place by 4 covalent bonds in a tetrahedral shape. The covalent bonds are stronger bonds, requiring more energy to break to separate the atoms and change its state. Therefore higher melting point.

CO2 is a linear shape, bond angle 180 because there are 2 double bonds around the carbon atoms, 2 regions of electron density, which repel each other as far as possible around the carbon atoms.

Methane, CH4 is a tetrahedral shape, carbon is covalently bonded to 4 hydrogen atoms, 4 regions of electron density. These repel each other as far as possible around the carbon atom, the bond angle is therefore 109.5

water is non-linear because it has 4 regions of electron density, 2 bonded pairs and 2 lone pairs of electrons around the central oxygen atom. This shortens the bond angle 2.5 each lone pair, 109.5 - 5 = 104.5.
Original post by EmilyBea
anyone fancy going through ionic equations? like in general, how you construct them/charges etc. might sound obvious but i still dont fully understand them! would be greatly appreciated :smile:

The only ionic equations you really have to worry about are halogens with silver nitrate and again halogen displacement reactions
does anyone have the f321 for jan 2012?
Relative Atomic Mass :u:

LOL thanks xxx
anyone fancy going through ionic equations? like in general, how you construct them/charges etc. might sound obvious but i still dont fully understand them! would be greatly appreciated :smile:

They can only ask ionic equations for the reactivity of Group 7 metals anyway! That's what it specifies in the spec :biggrin:
Reply 145

I've been helping some people here with them as well.

let me give you a question first to demonstrate.

What are the 2 ionic equations for magnesium's reaction with water.

a good tip is to write the full equation first.
Original post by Pride

Ionic equations involving group 2 compounds are not on the spec

You only need to worry about halogens
Original post by emilyannea
does anyone have the f321 for jan 2012?

Top of this page Emily! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1994222&page=7&page=7 :u:
On the Jan 10 past paper, there were three disproportionation reactions: with water, dilute sodium hydroxide (knew these two), but also one for hot, concentrated sodium hydroxide. The first two are in my notes & textbook, but not the last one, and I'm so confused because it was obviously one that needed to have been learnt, but wasn't in the text book :s-smilie: Obviously I'm going to learn that one now, but I don't get how they are allowed to do that!? Unless it is in the syllabus :s-smilie: but then why's it not in the textbook?
Original post by Pride

PRIDE - are you doing the exam tomorrow?

Stop confusing people that we need to know the ionic equations of group 2 metals. Sorry for the rant, but i'm sure people will agree with me here! We JUST need to know the ionic equations for group 7!
Original post by Holz888
On the Jan 10 past paper, there were three disproportionation reactions: with water, dilute sodium hydroxide (knew these two), but also one for hot, concentrated sodium hydroxide. The first two are in my notes & textbook, but not the last one, and I'm so confused because it was obviously one that needed to have been learnt, but wasn't in the text book :s-smilie: Obviously I'm going to learn that one now, but I don't get how they are allowed to do that!? Unless it is in the syllabus :s-smilie: but then why's it not in the textbook?

Holz88 - they gave one of the products for the concentrated Naoh equation. Read the question agian :smile:
Group 7:

Cl2 + 2Br- = 2Cl- + Br2

Cl2 + 2I- = 2Cl- + I2

:smile: Etc
Original post by Holz888

If I remember correctly that involved NaClO3

All they were testing is your knowledge then application of oxidation numbers

There are usually one/two a* questions in which are slightly off spec and require you to apply your knowledge of chemistry rather than just remember it. However they always give you all the information you need, there is never anything that you wouldn't be able to answer.
Reply 153
You would lose a mark there. Mention "WEIGHTED" they seem to love that word.

= The weighted mean mass of an atom of an element compared with 1/12th of the mass of an atom of carbon 12. ---- Deffo 3 marks :wink:

oh of course, I say that definition all the time, and I missed out weighted... damn...
Original post by Pride
oh of course, I say that definition all the time, and I missed out weighted... damn...

Anytime :colone:
Reply 155
PRIDE - are you doing the exam tomorrow?

Stop confusing people that we need to know the ionic equations of group 2 metals. Sorry for the rant, but i'm sure people will agree with me here! We JUST need to know the ionic equations for group 7!

well yes, but you need to be able to apply and come up with them just by looking... it's in my revision guide here, oxidation of group 2 metals general formula: M --> M2+ + 2e-
They were 9 marks available regarding definitions in Jan2012.

Generally there is always 5-6 marks recalling definitions, they always seem to ask Relative Atomic Mass, First Ionisation Energy, Orbital, Salt, Ionic Bonding, Electronegativity
Reply 157
Original post by Holz888

oh I remember that one.

our chem teacher just told us to write down an extra one in our notes. It's not particularly fair is it. Well they do worse things in biology exams
Reply 158
Original post by JuxtaposedJames
Ionic equations involving group 2 compounds are not on the spec

You only need to worry about halogens

yeah sorry, I'll stop asking that question now haha
Does anyone have the paper for F321 jan 2012? It would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending