The Student Room Group

Is lad culture a problem or just a laugh?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Arekkusu
I cannot help but agree. Maybe this is why it happens at university so much - a female space these days, but as a humanities student maybe I'm biased.

This is true. We should realise that's its okay to be a man. It's okay for men to be men. Education, relationships, all operating on the premise that the female perspective is always right on these things. When it's not.

Original post by weetabixmonster
Yes, damn those feminists for fighting for the women's right to vote, contraceptive freedom and protection from rape. Such actions definitely call for 'lads'.

You don't understand. I'm not saying feminism is necessarily bad, just that males are losing their confidence and are becoming more insecure, feel their masculinity and dominance is threatened in society so try and assert it. And this is a direct consequence of feminism. It's only natural.

A lot of feminism relies on the premise that masculinity is bad and shouldn't be encouraged, but a healthy balance needs to be achieved for a more healthy society. That type of feminism encourages misogyny.
Reply 141
Original post by sconter
when you are on your death bed, you wont regret missing an episode of eastenders, you will regret not spending time with your friends.

you wont look back on den setting fire to the vic
you will look back at those nights out you have that were epic

you wont meet you gf/bf/wife/husband on nights in, that are wasted. you wont tell your kids of stories of your world of warcraft raids.

you are in debt from the day you are squeezed out. you will never be out of debt. what do most people spend their debt on? a house that they will be unhappy with with in a few years. a car that will depreciate to 1/2 its value in one year
i'd rather spend my money on something i will enjoy now.

'lad' culture isnt about drinking excessively its about having a laugh with your mates and not giving a **** what others think of you.

Completely agree with this. There is plenty of time in life to spend worrying about how to pay off a mortgage. Too many people waste their youth, you're only young once. Life is short. You only have one. Ask anyone older than 40, they all say enjoy it whilst you can. In fact it was said to me again yesterday by an old couple. It's a frequent feature of deathbed regrets.

This sort of strange puritan belief that enjoying yourself should somehow be seen as a sin, and that you really should be buckling down with being a mindless robot worker and wage slave is too prevalent.
Reply 142
Original post by Stefan1991
Completely agree with this. There is plenty of time in life to spend worrying about how to pay off a mortgage. Too many people waste their youth, you're only young once. Life is short. You only have one. Ask anyone older than 40, they all say enjoy it whilst you can. In fact it was said to me again yesterday by an old couple. It's a frequent feature of deathbed regrets.

This sort of strange puritan belief that enjoying yourself should somehow be seen as a sin, and that you really should be buckling down with being a mindless robot worker and wage slave is too prevalent.

Agreed, but not at the expense of others (like many LADS), that just makes you a ****.
Reply 143
Original post by anaplian
Agreed, but not at the expense of others (like many LADS), that just makes you a ****.

I don't understand, what's at the expense of others? :confused:
Reply 144
Original post by Stefan1991
I don't understand, what's at the expense of others? :confused:

Having fun, enjoying your youth, whatever.
Original post by M4LLY
Oh yeah, just goes to prove you don't even know my history. What actually is your problem with lads then?

Nout when they don't start abusing other members of the publicm they don't even though.

Luckily i've got a set of lads with proper banter as we have the humour to take ths piss out of one another.
Reply 146
Original post by SpongebobSquarepan
Nout when they don't start abusing other members of the publicm they don't even though.

Luckily i've got a set of lads with proper banter as we have the humour to take ths piss out of one another.

So do I
Reply 147
All i can say is i find 'LAD' culture pretty dull. Any 'lad' i meet is interchangeable with the last, as they have no apparent personality of their own. Our age group is represented by these morons, it is embarrassing.
Reply 148
Lad culture drives the economy, so it doesn't really matter that much. It's all about the economy. And since the government lacks foresight, they only take notice when social issues get out of hand. By the time the government acts it is too late.
(edited 11 years ago)
'lad culture' is banter for plebs
I think its fine and just a bit of banter, that is until the 'lads' who follow these pages actually start to believe that some of the things portrayed on these pages etc are an acceptable way to treat people in everyday life.
My brother for example is 15, since liking pages like the LADBible on fb he has resorted to calling my mother and I 'wench' , refusing to clean up after himself as its 'a womens job' and generally making derogaratry (spelling?) towards women, and it isn't just him so many young teenage boys are picking up these habits and I believe that it may actually become a problem if they continue to believe pages like this and take it out of a joke context.
I agree with you OP, "LAD" guys annoy me so much :frown: annoying, immature and only concerned with sex and getting pissed out of their brains. They seem to think it's ok to treat girls like blow up sex dolls and urinate in someone's beer "for a laugh." Sometimes I think "why are these morons even at uni in the first place?" Probably just for the freedom and independence from their parents.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 152
I think it's funny when taken in jest, but that's just because it appeals to my sense of humour. I don't think it's origins intended to be serious, I always saw it as a kind of meme. But those who take it seriously do concern me a bit, as I usually see them in town being loud and obnoxious. But it doesn't bother me, people will be people and latch onto pop culture.
Reply 153
A bunch of insecure frat boys cowering in crude humour. a reactionary throw back to male-dominated sentiment reacting to new-age feminism, I.e the rise of women. A garbled mess of kitchen and driving jokes and cleavage photos, containing tones of gender-superiority that must be literal because irony seems to be well beyond the grasp of the lad's limited mental capacity which seems to be located solely in his genitals.
Logically this culture would alienate or even intimidate women, it's a sexist position. Or even worse it turns women into laddettes in order for them to appease these fools, dragging these women down to their level.

Ironic sexism is funny, and taken in a self-afflicting way is acceptable. I refer only to the worst of the worst, the pedigree lad douchebags.

These guys want to man the **** up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 154
Original post by sconter

liverpool

I can't say I am surprised...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending