The Student Room Group

Interquartile range of ungrouped data

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raheem94

Though one thing has got me worrying, someone today said that the best way to prepare was to learn all the mark schemes, i am not doing this, i will just attempt 1 past paper and just see the answers from the mark scheme, will i get good marks? :biggrin:

You probably saw my response to that

He is an AS student !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be around Thursday evening with the S1 book as my daughter is doing it on Friday too :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by TenOfThem
You probably saw my response to that

He is an AS student !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be around Thursday evening with the S1 book as my daughter is doing it on Friday too :smile:

He was talking out of his experience which contradicts with your view, so he is actually trying to prove that 1>30 :biggrin:

S1 is an AS so it should probably be a doodle, except a difficult probability question can put me off.
Original post by raheem94
He was talking out of his experience which contradicts with your view, so he is actually trying to prove that 1>30 :biggrin:

S1 is an AS so it should probably be a doodle, except a difficult probability question can put me off.

His view relates to the discussion we were having the other week

There are students who are mathematicians and students who can pass maths exams ... his method will enable him to score well if he has a good memory and a reasonable grasp

It is always easier to do well if you actually understand
Reply 23
Original post by TenOfThem
His view relates to the discussion we were having the other week

There are students who are mathematicians and students who can pass maths exams ... his method will enable him to score well if he has a good memory and a reasonable grasp

It is always easier to do well if you actually understand

Which discussion?

I have so many discussions on TSR, so i can't keep all in my memory.
Original post by notnek

Hello Mr Notnek hope you are well.

This is from one of my old maths books word for word.

1. Arrange the dataset in increasing order.

2: Next:
(a) If there is an even number of data values, then the lower quartile (Q1)(Q1) is the median of the lower half of the dataset, and the upper quartile (Q3)(Q3) is the median of the upper half of the dataset.

(b) If there is an odd number of data values, throw out the middle data value (which of course has the median value of the dataset). Then the lower quartile (Q1)(Q1) is the median of the lower half of the new dataset, and the upper quartile (Q3)(Q3) is the median of the upper half of the new dataset.

3. The interquartile range (IQR)(\mathrm{IQR}) is Q3Q1Q3-Q1
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by SubAtomic
Hello Mr Notnek hope you are well.

This is from one of my old maths books word for word.

1. Arrange the dataset in increasing order.

2: Next:
(a) If there is an even number of data values, then the lower quartile (Q1)(Q1) is the median of the lower half of the dataset, and the upper quartile (Q3)(Q3) is the median of the upper half of the dataset.

(b) If there is an odd number of data values, throw out the middle data value (which of course has the median value of the dataset). Then the lower quartile (Q1)(Q1) is the median of the lower half of the new dataset, and the upper quartile (Q3)(Q3) is the median of the upper half of the new dataset.

3. The interquartile range (IQR)(\mathrm{IQR}) is Q3Q1Q3-Q1

Thanks Subatomic, hope your assignment is going well.

It seems like every qualification/board has its own method. The method you posted is probably the most basic.
Original post by notnek
Thanks Subatomic, hope your assignment is going well.

It seems like every qualification/board has its own method. The method you posted is probably the most basic.

Yep assignment is going good cheers. Few ambiguous bits here and there lol.

That text was from a GCSE equivalent, and yes it is basic, sometimes very simple things can be overcomplicated (as I have done this a bit myself here and there) thus leading to confusion. But that example I gave would be very hard to overcomplicate :holmes: Suppose it all depends on what has previously been taught as to how complex the new methods to be taught will be.

All the best.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest