The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by sahajkaur
You just have to accept that you're not the only who's right in the world. I'm sure you're nice in person and all but on here you're coming across as very condescending and irritating. Sorry, that was supposed to be changed ages ago so i didn't see .

I actually have to say that I agree with metotron here. The fact that it did seem you were ignoring him, would have made me angry as well. Sorry, completely agree with your mark scheme now though. Thank you. Will you be doing one for literature?
Reply 181
Original post by Darich
I actually feel okay about literature now. We had a greek verse paper today and it went surprisingly well. It's a lot easier with only one ten mark question I think - there's no way I would have finished it in time if there were two!

I resorted in both exams (like in the last Latin one) to counting the characters on the first page.. There's only so many times you can check an exam

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 182
We were taught that the 'proper' meaning to that was just to use the perfect. Anyway we're both correct so theres no need to shoot others down as we'll both get the mark :biggrin:

Yes you'd definitely still get the mark

Must commend you on remembering the questions... I struggled after the first two!

Original post by hines

Must commend you on remembering the questions... I struggled after the first two!

Did you try to make the mark scheme then :biggrin: It's hard remembering all the questions, but I'm sure if you did finish it then it would be as good as this one (which is fully accurate) :wink:
Reply 184
Original post by StudiesAreBoring
I swear possunt is they were able??? They are able is possent...?

Yeah, thats what I thought at first, but then possum is I am able, and potes is you are able and so on until possunt= they are able. But potuerunt is they were able; its in the back of the Cambridge Latin Course Textbook.
Reply 185
Original post by metaltron
Did you try to make the mark scheme then :biggrin: It's hard remembering all the questions, but I'm sure if you did finish it then it would be as good as this one (which is fully accurate) :wink:

Nope, just came on here and saw this

Original post by mcfc@2012
I actually have to say that I agree with metotron here. The fact that it did seem you were ignoring him, would have made me angry as well. Sorry, completely agree with your mark scheme now though. Thank you. Will you be doing one for literature?

No I didn't mean to! I didn't realize that something was incorrect so I'm sorry :biggrin: And I will if I remember it :biggrin:

Original post by hines

Haha I don't know how I did tbh, ti jsut because it was small whereas metaltron manages to memorise a whole 120 mark paper so hats off to him :wink:
Hey guys was just wondering how many marks I would lose for this:
They were afraid that they would give unfair punishments to innocent men
Thanks
No I didn't mean to! I didn't realize that something was incorrect so I'm sorry :biggrin: And I will if I remember it :biggrin:

Haha I don't know how I did tbh, ti jsut because it was small whereas metaltron manages to memorise a whole 120 mark paper so hats off to him :wink:

Thanks, look forward to another brutal, heated and bad-tempered discussion on my part for Lit.

Btw I haven't said thanks for making the mark scheme yet. I do appreciate it.:biggrin:
Original post by Kirk Hammet not
Hey guys was just wondering how many marks I would lose for this:
They were afraid that they would give unfair punishments to innocent men
Thanks

about 1 or 2 marks lost :smile:
Original post by metaltron
Thanks, look forward to another brutal, heated and bad-tempered discussion on my part for Lit.

Btw I haven't said thanks for making the mark scheme yet. I do appreciate it.:biggrin:

Same :wink: and no worries :tongue:
MAJOR ACCOUNCEMENT**************************

It is 'What will happen' At the beginning of the Translation. Someone just notified me.
Here is the 100% confirmed verified and corrected MS:

1) He used to have many slaves
2) He was killed by one of his slaves
3) They were accustomed to punish all the slaves who were living in the same house by death
4) A huge crowd of people
5) Do not kill so many innocent slaves!
6) He sought the most serious punishment for such a dreadful crime.
7) ‘It is not always good, senators, to follow traditions handed over by ancestors. Now, however what will happen if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? Surely you do not believe this slave prepared his plan alone, without others? Surely the rest knew what this one wanted to do?’

With these words Cassius was trying to persuade the senators to punish all the slaves of [name], both wicked and loyal. Some were afraid that in this way, innocent slaves would pay unfair penalties. But Cassius had spoken so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators, therefore, with few resisting, sent out soldiers to kill all the slaves of [name].
Reply 192
In the translation section, wasn't it, '...the senators were afraid that they might give the innocent unfair punishement, in this way,' I remember the word 'darent' and 'innocentes', which I am guessing is accusative plural. :confused:
Original post by 1d:)
In the translation section, wasn't it, '...the senators were afraid that they might give the innocent unfair punishement, in this way,' I remember the word 'darent' and 'innocentes', which I am guessing is accusative plural. :confused:

Strictly speaking poena do = to pay the penalty so poenas darent = they would pay the penality/ies :smile:
Strictly speaking poena do = to pay the penalty so poenas darent = they would pay the penality/ies :smile:

I completely forgot about this! :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Reply 195

I thought poenas dare was to pay the penalty because 'dare' is the infinitive?? Probably wrong but just a thought. Yeah. that's right though :smile:
Original post by 123xxx
I thought poenas dare was to pay the penalty because 'dare' is the infinitive?? Probably wrong but just a thought. Yeah. that's right though :smile:

yes but this was poenas darent using a subjunctive :smile:
Reply 197
Here is the 100% confirmed verified and corrected MS:

1) He used to have many slaves
2) He was killed by one of his slaves
3) They were accustomed to punish all the slaves who were living in the same house by death
4) A huge crowd of people
5) Do not kill so many innocent slaves!
6) He sought the most serious punishment for such a dreadful crime.
7) ‘It is not always good, senators, to follow traditions handed over by ancestors. Now, however what will happen if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? Surely you do not believe this slave prepared his plan alone, without others? Surely the rest knew what this one wanted to do?’

With these words Cassius was trying to persuade the senators to punish all the slaves of [name], both wicked and loyal. Some were afraid that in this way, innocent slaves would pay unfair penalties. But Cassius had spoken so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators, therefore, with few resisting, sent out soldiers to kill all the slaves of [name].

Where did you get this mark scheme from???? :smile:
Reply 198
yes but this was poenas darent using a subjunctive :smile:

Yeah, I just meant that you said 'poena do'= pay the penalty (infinitive) when I thought that was 'I pay the penalty'. But yeah that doesn't matter for the paper anyway!
Original post by 123xxx
Yeah, I just meant that you said 'poena do'= pay the penalty (infinitive) when I thought that was 'I pay the penalty'. But yeah that doesn't matter for the paper anyway!

oh sorry I meant that I dont know why I wrote to pay :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest