The Student Room Group

Latin translation help for GCSE'S

Hi, I'm in year 11 and was wondering if anyone had advice on how to learn how to effectively translate and recognise certain aspects of the text. I struggle with vocab sticking in my head and even after 2 years of doing lots of vocab tests in exams I can't seem to recognise words. I don't really "fit in" in my Latin class as I don't really seem the type to take up Latin everyone in there is very smart so I know the grade boundaries will be incredibly high. I have the grammar down and some words I do recognise I could even tell if the sentence is a subjunctive case, gender and sometimes even declension but the vocab is my weakness. Ok sorry for the rant any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by pinklolpurple1
Hi, I'm in year 11 and was wondering if anyone had advice on how to learn how to effectively translate and recognise certain aspects of the text. I struggle with vocab sticking in my head and even after 2 years of doing lots of vocab tests in exams I can't seem to recognise words. I don't really "fit in" in my Latin class as I don't really seem the type to take up Latin everyone in there is very smart so I know the grade boundaries will be incredibly high. I have the grammar down and some words I do recognise I could even tell if the sentence is a subjunctive case, gender and sometimes even declension but the vocab is my weakness. Ok sorry for the rant any tips?

Hi, I don't know if this can help but I'll say it anyway.
I do Latin, but not for exams, just as a hobby ( I do have the OCR Latin Textbook Latin To GCSE tho).

Personally, learning Latin wasn't that complicated for me (maybe because I like it? Idk), but by all means I find that you may want to try knowing what other vocabulary it's related to.

For example, navigo. It means "I sail/ navigate"
So for navigo, I tend to remember navigate first, then sail.

I hope this kinda helps, btw if you don't mind, please share some Latin learning tips :')
Btw, sometimes I find the grammar harder than the vocab lol, so I'm certain you are quite intelligent.

Thanks for reading
Original post by Elffo
Hi, I don't know if this can help but I'll say it anyway.
I do Latin, but not for exams, just as a hobby ( I do have the OCR Latin Textbook Latin To GCSE tho).

Personally, learning Latin wasn't that complicated for me (maybe because I like it? Idk), but by all means I find that you may want to try knowing what other vocabulary it's related to.

For example, navigo. It means "I sail/ navigate"
So for navigo, I tend to remember navigate first, then sail.

I hope this kinda helps, btw if you don't mind, please share some Latin learning tips :')
Btw, sometimes I find the grammar harder than the vocab lol, so I'm certain you are quite intelligent.

Thanks for reading

Hey so I'm doing OCR Latin too. The part I'm most worried about is the translation in the language paper and recognising certain parts of the text in the lit. I do try and relate words but some words either look too similar or just unrecognisable. How do you do it like how do you learn the vocab and translate i mainly can't do big chunks of translating?
I understand your struggle with Latin vocabulary. It can be tough to remember all those new words, especially when you're also learning grammar and other aspects of the language.

Here are a few tips that might help:

Use flashcards. Flashcards are a great way to memorize vocabulary. You can make your own flashcards, or you can buy a set. There are also many online flashcard programs that you can use.
Practice translating Latin texts. The more you practice translating, the better you'll get at recognizing words and understanding the grammar. You can find Latin texts to translate online or in your school library.
Use a Latin dictionary. A Latin dictionary is a valuable tool for any student of Latin. It can help you look up words that you don't know and understand their meaning.
Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you're struggling with Latin vocabulary, don't be afraid to ask your teacher or a tutor for help. They can help you create a study plan and give you tips on how to learn the vocabulary.
Reply 4
Original post by Syed100
I understand your struggle with Latin vocabulary. It can be tough to remember all those new words, especially when you're also learning grammar and other aspects of the language.

Here are a few tips that might help:

Use flashcards. Flashcards are a great way to memorize vocabulary. You can make your own flashcards, or you can buy a set. There are also many online flashcard programs that you can use.
Practice translating Latin texts. The more you practice translating, the better you'll get at recognizing words and understanding the grammar. You can find Latin texts to translate online or in your school library.
Use a Latin dictionary. A Latin dictionary is a valuable tool for any student of Latin. It can help you look up words that you don't know and understand their meaning.
Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you're struggling with Latin vocabulary, don't be afraid to ask your teacher or a tutor for help. They can help you create a study plan and give you tips on how to learn the vocabulary.

honestly you nailed the advice, I'm pretty sure I'll learn more efficiently from now on with these too :')
Reply 5
Original post by Elffo
honestly you nailed the advice, I'm pretty sure I'll learn more efficiently from now on with these too :')

Good to hear:smile:
Reply 6
I don't know if this helps but when I learn verbs in Latin I always learn all 4 principal parts because I found that it's difficult to translate something relying on the fact that Latin verbs are mostly regular - there is very little pattern to the perfect stem of the this conjugation, which is very annoying
I don't know if that helps at all, but good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending