The Student Room Group

Year 12 Latin Mocks

Hello everyone. So year 12 is really hard and I'm finding mocks very stressful right now. Latin has always been one of my strongest subjects but I'm now in a situation where my exam is tomorrow and I know it's not going to go well. History has been my main woe this year so I put most of my focus into revising for that mock (which is at the end of this week) to the point where I had inadvertently neglected by other two subjects. Realistically I know I won't fail because it isn't like I haven't revised at all and the teachers are flexible on our grades so long as we produce at least two pieces of work that fit the grades we want in timed conditions (I have been told I need 3 A* predictions for my dream uni btw) but as someone who always strives for academic excellence I just feel like a bit of a failure right now. The exam is tomorrow so I can't change anything but I guess I just wanted to vent a little, and also to ask if anyone doing A-Level Latin found it got easier in year 13?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Hey so I'm a Latin student in y13 (actually had my first Latin A-Level exam yesterday!!) and I know that feeling really well of feeling that you haven't managed your time right. I would say not to panic too much about any subject going less well than you'd hoped in the mock - in my y12 mock for English Lit I got a C overall, with a D in one paper, but I was predicted an A because it's such a cumulative subject and I just hadn't figured out the technique yet, and I actually got an A* in my y13 mock!!! There's still so much time for everything to change.

The main thing I would recommend is that you take advantage of this summer. The reality is that you will probably feel a bit burnt out after your mocks but by late July/August you could probably force yourself to achieve something. If you were to, for example, re-learn all your vocab and the translations of your set texts, that probably wouldn't take too long after having recently learnt them for these mocks, even if you didn't do it very thoroughly. Can I ask what exam board you are doing? I have quizlets for all the AS and Verse vocab for OCR if you want them.

The other thing I would say is that unfortunately the content only gets harder in y13, but the y12 stuff then gets comparatively easier. I feel so much more relaxed about my y12 set texts now I've done the y13 ones and they seem much more manageable. But also by the time you get to your exams you will have a really good idea of the magnitude of what you need to get done so it shouldn't be too overwhelming, as long as you learn from this experience and time your revision slightly more strategically.

My last tip would be if you find out that some of your learnt set texts aren't coming up/aren't coming up in their entirety in your y13 mock, learn them anyway over the Christmas holidays because it will make it so much faster to recap them when the actual exams come round. Good luck!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by beaquin
Hey so I'm a Latin student in y13 (actually had my first Latin A-Level exam yesterday!!) and I know that feeling really well of feeling that you haven't managed your time right. I would say not to panic too much about any subject going less well than you'd hoped in the mock - in my y12 mock for English Lit I got a C overall, with a D in one paper, but I was predicted an A because it's such a cumulative subject and I just hadn't figured out the technique yet, and I actually got an A* in my y13 mock!! There's still so much time for everything to change.

The main thing I would recommend is that you take advantage of this summer. The reality is that you will probably feel a bit burnt out after your mocks but by late July/August you could probably force yourself to achieve something. If you were to, for example, re-learn all your vocab and the translations of your set texts, that probably wouldn't take too long after having recently learnt them for these mocks, even if you didn't do it very thoroughly. Can I ask what exam board you are doing? I have quizlets for all the AS and Verse vocab for OCR if you want them.

The other thing I would say is that unfortunately the content only gets harder in y13, but the y12 stuff then gets comparatively easier. I feel so much more relaxed about my y12 set texts now I've done the y13 ones and they seem much more manageable. But also by the time you get to your exams you will have a really good idea of the magnitude of what you need to get done so it shouldn't be too overwhelming, as long as you learn from this experience and time your revision slightly more strategically.

My last tip would be if you find out that some of your learnt set texts aren't coming up/aren't coming up in their entirety in your y13 mock, learn them anyway over the Christmas holidays because it will make it so much faster to recap them when the actual exams come round. Good luck!

Thank you so much this was really helpful!! I do OCR so those quizlets would actually be a lifesaver if you don't mind sharing them :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sixthformstress
Thank you so much this was really helpful!! I do OCR so those quizlets would actually be a lifesaver if you don't mind sharing them :smile:

https://quizlet.com/join/Yx62rsPgN to join the class! My friend will accept you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest