The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by 123xxx
Not always. In last year's verse paper it was about how the story was made sad.

It's usually about characterisation in Greek for the 8-markers, anyway :dontknow:
Original post by Plums&Peaches
Okay calm down, it's just Latin :K: ...

I look beyond exams and think about the world as I see it, not about how best to prepare for the next sample of my writing that will be examined for some makeshift grade to be awarded.
Original post by Plums&Peaches
Buddy get over yourself you're very good at displaying arrogance at times when people show their vulnerability aren't you. I don't care whether you had a teacher or not, there's no point putting other people down to fuel your ego.

You're the one who made a mistaken assumption about me. Can I ask, what exactly did I do wrong in the first place? Offer my opinion on Germanicus and Piso?
People... Calm down! We are all stressed about the Latin exam tomorrow and next week, so let's just stay relaxed ok?

:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 384
Original post by p!atd16
Thanks - I hope there won't be one!

Can anyone help me with the translation for lines 64-65 of germanicus and piso: "silentione an voce aliqua egredientem exciperent"

What ever that other translation is is just illegible rubbish.

It's from the bit where Tacitus is talking about the crowd in the harbour:
"Asking each other whether they should listen to her in silence or with some speech as she disembarked."

Reply 385
Was just thinking about the literature paper tomorrow and I was a bit confused on how you would place your quotes within the essay-style 10 mark questions: would you just put down your quote and explain your point assuming that the examiner knows that you know the translation. Or would you write the quote down, translate the quote, then go on to explain your point?
Reply 386
hello, does anyone have any character notes - i'm really stuck on them. especially for Germanicus and Piso... thanks :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by hines

"Asking each other whether they should listen to her in silence or with some speech as she disembarked."

Thanks so much!! Tahr makes a lot more sense :smile:

Reply 388
^ that ^

Original post by hines

Not really - it makes sense within the context we were given it, but it seems everyone has a slightly different translation and ours correlates with the Latin well in terms of meaning.

"As soon as the ship was seen, not only the port, but also the walls and the roofs were filled with a crowd of mourners, and those asking among themselves whether they should receive her disembarkation in silence in some shout."
Reply 390
Original post by ajf
Was just thinking about the literature paper tomorrow and I was a bit confused on how you would place your quotes within the essay-style 10 mark questions: would you just put down your quote and explain your point assuming that the examiner knows that you know the translation. Or would you write the quote down, translate the quote, then go on to explain your point?

You'd write the quote, translate it and then explain your point :smile:

hey does anyone know if in 'Pythius' it matters if you say 'estates' or 'estate'? some are saying plural and others are saying singular!
Reply 392
Original post by p!atd16
You'd write the quote, translate it and then explain your point :smile:

Ah, cheers :smile:
Last time it was 45/50 to get 90 UMS ..and it may be higher this time cuz thre is only one essay question,however lt year there was tht slight glitch with the paper -there were mistakes on them
Original post by thetejmaster
Last time it was 45/50 to get 90 UMS ..and it may be higher this time cuz thre is only one essay question,however lt year there was tht slight glitch with the paper -there were mistakes on them

The grade boundaries are absurd in my opinon hahhaha. Much too high.

I just recited the prose to my dog...I hope he enjoyed it, otherwise I wasted 10 minutes of his life. :colone:
Good luck to everyone for the exam tomorrow :biggrin:
Oh and I had a question, if I have time at the end (after I checked through)...do I continue writing until the end or just sit there, will it look like I'm rambling???
Original post by NomNomNom :)
I just recited the prose to my dog...I hope he enjoyed it, otherwise I wasted 10 minutes of his life. :colone:
Good luck to everyone for the exam tomorrow :biggrin:
Oh and I had a question, if I have time at the end (after I checked through)...do I continue writing until the end or just sit there, will it look like I'm rambling???

I would not right more because it may look like ur just talking crsp and any intelligent points will be cancelled out by any stupid points u make ...any other subject I would say differently but these Latin examiners are pretty intelligent unlike English examiners
Original post by hines

I have the translation:

...mourning and asking each other whether they should receive her in silence or with some word.

This is from my teacher, so i know it must be correct, however i appreciate the fact that different teachers give different translations! :biggrin:
Reply 398
Original post by Juxtap0sed
Are there no longer any 10 mark questions?

There's one 10 marker, one 8 marker, one 5 mark translation, and the rest are easy regurgitation questions...
Original post by hines

That's absolutely wrong ... how can you call the other translation rubbish? How often do you show your respect to someone by listening to them "with some speech"?

The actual translation is "asking whether they should receive her as she disembarked in silence or with some speech".

Quick Reply

Latest