The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
anybody do the section A today?:smile:
Original post by Megan!
anybody do the section A today?:smile:

i did section A! :biggrin: how d'you find it?
Original post by NomNomNom :)
:eek: we could've offered their children an unconditional offer to study Latin in great detail under the watchful eyes of ourselves at the university of THeArtOfThePoetic and NomNomNom...dayum!
I babble on ALL my papers :tongue:
I shall keep you informed of my adventures with latin in year 12/13..so you don' miss out :biggrin:

I know! We would have been great :biggrin:
I love babbling, it's fun :smile:
Haha thank you! :wink:
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
I know! We would have been great :biggrin:
I love babbling, it's fun :smile:
Haha thank you! :wink:

Oh well...I guess they're missing out then :biggrin:
'babblebabblebabble'
I'm being serious..I will tell you EVERYTHING :yep:
Original post by metaltron
Question 1- you could put early in brackets/ late evening?
Answer Q2 = 'rest'
Q3- Hector
Q4- Secluded/set back/ overshadowed by trees (2)
Q5- Sounds of battle (not sure)
Q6- Top of the roof (of his house)
Q7- Shepherd on rock = Aeneas on roof (2)
Shepherd hearing the crash = Aeneas hearing sounds of battle
Q8- Five mark- Mine was - Already the spacious house of Deiphobus was overwhelmed by Vulcan and crushed in ruins, and the nearest house, that of Ucalegon, was ablaze; the wide straits of Sigeum were aglow with fire. The shouts of men and the blasts of trumpets arose.
Q9- Going into battle with Greek
Q10- Holds out Iulus, clasps his feet
Q11- Give them help, confirm these omens
Q12- praises him, 'just this once', 'f we deserve any compassion', 'pater' as respect etc.. (any 2)
Q13- Stars from sky over their house (2)
Q14- victus= convinced (2)
Q15- Worships holy star, addresses gods (2)
Q16- Repetition of 'now', 'servate' and punctual command etc... (4)
Q17- 8 marker

WHAT WAS QUESTION 7?! I DIDN'T MENTION THAT SIMILE...:s-smilie::confused:
Reply 785
What did you guys write for the 10 marker in section B? It would've been so easy, but I hardly looked over it, and really struggled! :frown:
Original post by metaltron
Question 1- you could put early in brackets/ late evening?
Answer Q2 = 'rest'
Q3- Hector
Q4- Secluded/set back/ overshadowed by trees (2)
Q5- Sounds of battle (not sure)
Q6- Top of the roof (of his house)
Q7- Shepherd on rock = Aeneas on roof (2)
Shepherd hearing the crash = Aeneas hearing sounds of battle
Q8- Five mark- Mine was - Already the spacious house of Deiphobus was overwhelmed by Vulcan and crushed in ruins, and the nearest house, that of Ucalegon, was ablaze; the wide straits of Sigeum were aglow with fire. The shouts of men and the blasts of trumpets arose.
Q9- Going into battle with Greek
Q10- Holds out Iulus, clasps his feet
Q11- Give them help, confirm these omens
Q12- praises him, 'just this once', 'f we deserve any compassion', 'pater' as respect etc.. (any 2)
Q13- Stars from sky over their house (2)
Q14- victus= convinced (2)
Q15- Worships holy star, addresses gods (2)
Q16- Repetition of 'now', 'servate' and punctual command etc... (4)
Q17- 8 marker

I put 'sounds of weapons' for 7 because that's how we learnt to translate it, do you think I'll get the mark?
Original post by ao123
What did you guys write for the 10 marker in section B? It would've been so easy, but I hardly looked over it, and really struggled! :frown:

I talked about meanings of 'maestissimus' (note the superlative) and 'fletus'. I said that 'fletus' and 'ignes' were both placed at the end of the line for emphasis; both being negative words, this reinforces the overall negative atmosphere. 'Pulvere perque pedes' is alliteration. I mentioned the hard consonants in the entire passage like 'ecce'. The comparison between the old Hector and Hector now reminds the reader that he is in a terribe state, making the reader feel sorry for him. This effect is strengthened by 'illo Hector' which distances the two different versions of Hector even further and amkes them seem like two different people. I talked about 'vulnerque plurima' and use of superlative to show just how injured he was. It was ironic how he recieved those wounds around the walls off his own fatherland.

I must have written more, but I'm sorry, I can't remember!
(edited 11 years ago)
What was Question 7? Please? I'm getting stressed :P
Original post by Juxtap0sed
What was Question 7? Please? I'm getting stressed :P

It was the question asking about how Aeneas relates to himself in the simile...I'm sure you didn't miss it out...it was the one just before the translation passage. :biggrin:
Reply 790
Original post by hippogriff
I talked about meanings of 'maestissimus' and 'fletus'. I said that 'fletus' and 'ignes' were both placed at the end of the line for emphasis; both being negative words, this reinforces the overall negative atmosphere. 'Pulvere perque pedes' is alliteration. I mentioned the hard consonants in the entire passage like 'ecce'. The comparison between the old Hector and Hector now reminds the reader that he is in a terribe state, making the reader feel sorry for him. This effect is strengthened by 'illo Hector' which distances the two different versions of Hector even further and amkes them seem like two different people. I talked about 'vulnerque plurima' and use of superlative to show just how injured he was. It was ironic how he recieved those wounds around the walls off his own fatherland.

I must have written loads more, but I'm sorry, I can't remember!

Oh god, I only wrote about 3 of those haha!
Reply 791
how many points do you have to make in a 10 marker?
Reply 792
Original post by ao123
how many points do you have to make in a 10 marker?

OCR don't say explicitly in the mark schemes but my teacher had a friend who marked papers last year and she was advised that 8 developed points are needed for full marks.
Reply 793
Original post by bassingabout
i did section A! :biggrin: how d'you find it?

woo! and well mostly okay really, i could do the 8 mark question so i was happy hahaa! got stuck on the 4 mark horace one though becuase i didnt really know what the question was asking for! and the one about the truimphs was wierd haha:L how about you?:biggrin:
It was the question asking about how Aeneas relates to himself in the simile...I'm sure you didn't miss it out...it was the one just before the translation passage. :biggrin:

NOOOOO i got the wrong idea for some reason. I mentioned that he's bewildered like a shepherd would be and that Troy is being destroyed quickly and easily like a flame fallen onto crops...

Do you think that's ok?:frown:
Reply 795
Felt that paper went okay, and I'm so glad I'm doing latin at A level... I would miss it otherwise. :loveduck:
Original post by Juxtap0sed
NOOOOO i got the wrong idea for some reason. I mentioned that he's bewildered like a shepherd would be and that Troy is being destroyed quickly and easily like a flame fallen onto crops...

Do you think that's ok?:frown:

THe sheperds bit's fine...as long as you mentioned that he didn't know what was happening.
I guess the second one is okay too. Did you say that it represened the Greeks attacking/ ransacking Troy??? THen it's fine. If you quoted and translated from the text it's fine. So the max you'd lose is 2 marks :biggrin:
THe sheperds bit's fine...as long as you mentioned that he didn't know what was happening.
I guess the second one is okay too. Did you say that it represened the Greeks attacking/ ransacking Troy??? THen it's fine. If you quoted and translated from the text it's fine. So the max you'd lose is 2 marks :biggrin:

Nope I'm didn't even notice that they wanted us to make reference to the simile :frown: Do you think we had to? I'm so annoyed with myself cos I messd up the first language paper too and made other mistakes in this one.

The grade boundaries are always so high too so I have no chance.
Reply 798
Original post by 123xxx
OCR don't say explicitly in the mark schemes but my teacher had a friend who marked papers last year and she was advised that 8 developed points are needed for full marks.

How exactly are you supposed to fit eight developed points into a small A4 page?!

I managed to get four long-ish paragraphs in.
Original post by Mazzini
How exactly are you supposed to fit eight developed points into a small A4 page?!

I managed to get four long-ish paragraphs in.

it's definitely 4-5 developed points- it says on past mark schemes

Quick Reply

Latest