The Student Room Group

Attention seeking ('Look at me!') culture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MancBoy
It seems a lot of young people these days are attention whores. Everyone is striving to be big city socialites. As the years go by more and more people are sucked in by this culture.

I think media is partly to blame. With shows like Britains Got Talent, X-factor, TOWIE, Made In Chelsea etc. It makes everyone believe that they could be a celebrity. Celebrity status is so glamorized these days so everyone will do anything gain celebrity status and this is where attention whoring comes into play.

People ave more of a platform these days to attention whore too. Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, blogs etc. I'm starting to think Facebook statuses are mainly to attention seek. There is not a day goes by where I don't see a status like 'Cant believe it!' or 'Why does this have to happen!'...statuses that beg for people to comment on it.

It seems like these days if you don't have enough photos on your Facebook you are deemed unfit for this world. Everything everyone does seems like its only for Facebook . I was out one night and I saw a group of girls who were constantly taking pictures for 2 hours...and then went home. I mean come on people! Enjoy the moment rather than killing it posing for photos. No one cares if you went out 'with the girlies!' like the whole world gives a **** because you can guarantee every other ****er is doing the same. Its nothing new. Stop advertising your lives!

I live in Manchester and there are a lot of young students that come over here from small towns/villages. These people are the worst when it comes to attention seeking. There is a lot of showing off talk. Usually in public places where there is a small audience in the surrounding area. You know the loud talking people do to make themselves look better. It's not even real conversations too its like everyone has to 'one-up' what ever the other person says. Its always something to do with gap years or what they've just bought or how drunk they got last night or if they got laid last night or what band they are listening to right now etc. Its like they want someone to go 'Really!! omg!!' but the reality is that no one ****ing cares.

...also when there is party there is always those people who want everyone else on the street to know they're having fun. Shouting and screaming as if they're the first people in the world to have a ****ing party. Having a house party doesn't automatically make you super cool. Everyone has parties. Get over it.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I 100% agree with you. I stayed in London last year and most people I met were like this. I thought at the time that their attention seeking would just annoy everyone else. But I was wrong, it seems these attention seekers like it when other people attention seek. For example, conversations were mostly bragging competitions. Everyone was determined to be the most amazing outgoing person, and they bonded with other like minded people. I didnt want to join in, so I tried talking to these people normally but they didn't seem to gain any stimulation from my conversations. It was quite depressing really, I felt like the minority or the odd one out.
Reply 81
One really sad instance I saw of this was when a 14 year old on my facebook had a miscarriage almost a year ago. She posts statuses about her child, and pictures, every day. Yes it is sad, but I feel these things are kept (at least semi-private) mainly because, as she had over 1000 random facebook friends, she got a lot of the inevitable "It's good your baby died" etc...
Pretty grim
Reply 82
Very :cookie: thread.
yesterday as i was crossing the street at around 2 am or so, I saw a undergraduate student in the street, shouting "teach me how to dougie, teach me- teach me how to dougie" to another a couple of levels up inside a uni accommodation. So yeah, it's just people, really. Imagine the whole world as a ship of some kind, a massive titanic-esque ship. Death would be the impending iceberg crash. From age 0 to death, you'd be seeing/around so many different people in that ship.. some would be manic to the point of tigger anywhere in the ship, from the boiler-room to the utmost balcony while others would just.. get on with their life apathetically. Life is still life.. at its very base level it's still same old: sun rising and setting, deadskin shedding, seasons changing, people coming and going etc everyday. Whatever people do to fill in the details can be attributed to humanity's "progress" and "habits" as well as personal inclinations, ie. how one (chooses) to conceive of life I suppose. Maybe those of whom you've come across mostly belong to the "play hard"/"carpe diem" group. It is possible that a fraction of them understands/defines life in the context of "the other". I think social media outlets especially perpetuates and habitualises this concept of "gaze". Alternatively you could always approach these people who bewilder you to politely inquire about their understanding of life, self-image and so forth. It could be to do with a rite of passage or a phase.. they might subscribe to any part of the youth culture, even if inadvertently (I'm sure that this behaviour you've highlighted has various counterparts in history). After all, we're not there, we're only relying on your narration and perception. Do remember, however, that humans are social animals. For one person that might mean posting a :frown: status while for another, posting a thread on places like tsr. Some people also rely on support networks the best they can in a way that is similar to investors who "diversify their assets", if you will (again, this does not have to be a conscious thing), while others may solely expect a significant other to validate them or help share the emotional burden or go on tsr, etcetc.

I sort of grew up on irc and p2p, so I've been around so many different kinds of "presentations of self" online and have somehow habituated myself to the surroundings, I guess. But yeah, the unsubscribe button can be pretty handy. Ultimately, it would take trust and a more discreet venue of communication (eg on pm) for one to actually be in the know of reasons behind ":frown:"s. Understand that not everyone is wired to immediately suck it up. Not only do we all respond to life's stresses differently, we also don't approach social media outlets homogeneously. There is always a story behind an apparently blatant self-serving behaviour which could attributed to sociological or psychological reasons. So yeah, it really depends on how you'd like to understand phenomena such as the one you've described.

But I agree, for some people, the ultimate fear is being invisible, alone and forgettable. This can carry through in real life, such as in cafeteria seating choices for example.

Ultimately, we are all a product of nature, nurture and environment which, as a standalone, is a pretty meaningless statement.

At the end of the day, the onus is on you to choose to understand a fellow human being's behaviour. We all go about it differently I guess. If anyone of the people you encountered happened to be a relative or someone of great importance to you, you may or may not understand them differently.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by harreeeee
I 100% agree with you. I stayed in London last year and most people I met were like this. I thought at the time that their attention seeking would just annoy everyone else. But I was wrong, it seems these attention seekers like it when other people attention seek. For example, conversations were mostly bragging competitions. Everyone was determined to be the most amazing outgoing person, and they bonded with other like minded people. I didnt want to join in, so I tried talking to these people normally but they didn't seem to gain any stimulation from my conversations. It was quite depressing really, I felt like the minority or the odd one out.

Don't worry, in the long-term you won't be odd - you are developing real, meaningful people skills, whereas they are developing the arts of pretend connection and conversation. Trust me, the former always win over the latter in the end.
Reply 85
Original post by Saul Goodman
..some would be manic to the point of tigger anywhere in the ship, from the boiler-room to the utmost balcony while others would just.. get on with their life apathetically. Life is still life..

Really thoughtful post and interesting read from Saul... :fatcontroller:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending