The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology 2 Higher 21st May Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by osama2
so 30/31 is A*? seeing as an A* was 26 on the june 2011 exam and that was similar.

Yeah I think they would be very similar. I'm hoping as I'd like 100 UMS in B2!
Reply 181

Nice work, I totted up 37 give or take. :smile:
Reply 182
AQA website shows most June papers to require 34/45 for 100 UMS, apart from one or two needing 36 or 37.

Considering today's paper was average or quite difficult, seems likely that 100 UMS for June 2012 will be 33 or 34.

A* should be about 30.

A should be about 26.

B should be about 23.
Original post by Aidanb90
Nice work, I totted up 37 give or take. :smile:

aha yeah same i got 37 aswell :smile:
Original post by gg12
I'm pretty sure the question just asked to evaluate the 'super farm', not the traditional one.

no it was definitely compare :smile:
Original post by LucyW456

it wasnt, it was the evaluate the use of a super farm instead of a traditonal farm was the question, so you needed 2 advantages of the super farm over the traditional, and you needed 2 disadvantages about the super farm + conclusion
Reply 186

Was it? I think I put:

Advantages:
- The cows are producing more milk so it's saving money.
- The waste is being re-used for electricity in 2000 homes.

Disadvantages:
- It's expensive to build the super farm.
- People think it's cruel to keep animals together inside.
- Diseases can be spread easily.

And a conclusion. :smile:
Reply 187

It said evaluate when compared to traditional farming

This test was really easy and i'm expecting an A*. Can't believe people struggled on the last question :cool:
Reply 188
I put something like...
traditional farming- animals lose more biomass through kinetic energy and thermal energy for movement and to keep warm.

super farming- this is intensive farming. Animals can only move around a small area and so they lose less biomass through kinetic energy and since fossil fuels are used to produce heat, animals also lose less biomass through thermal energy to keep warm. Also, a disadvantage of super farming is that fossil fuels are used, releasing CO2 into the atmosphere and humans develop resistance to the antibiotics used by animals.

In conclusion... (can;t remember but I wrote about both farmings)
Reply 189
Original post by dynamov3
it said evaluate when compared to traditional farming

this test was really easy and i'm expecting an a*. Can't believe people struggled on the last question :cool:

what was the answer to the last question???...
Original post by kILLERm
what was the answer to the last question???...

part a for 4 marks, both parents had Hh alleles
part b for one mark, was the two possible alleles were HH and Hh
part c for one mark , was that you would need to check the alleles of Cat C to make a judgment for Cat D and there was also an answer in the unofficial mark scheme that got posted but cant remember what that other answer was atm
Reply 191
Original post by Fas
part c for one mark , was that you would need to check the alleles of Cat C to make a judgment for Cat D and there was also an answer in the unofficial mark scheme that got posted but cant remember what that other answer was atm

Yes i put all them down apart from the very last question. But why are people constantly saying that both parents had the alleles HH and Hh. Because that can't be true. Because no reccessive alleles could be produced that way. They would all have a dominat allele and that's wrong because 2 of the children had recessive alleles and 4 had dominant alleles.

For the very last question, I wrote that all the children had dominant allelles and so you couldn't investigate children with just recessive alleles becuase none of them had them. (a load of bull cr*p)
Reply 192
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP.
for 8a i put Hh and Hh. then i wrote that 75% have the disease. and 25% dont. now i was refering to MY genetic diagram and NOT to the cats. will i still get 4 marks? because in my genetic diagram i got HH, Hh, Hh,hh. so hh would be normal but the rest would have the disease. PLEASE ANYONE?
Original post by kILLERm
Yes i put all them down apart from the very last question. But why are people constantly saying that both parents had the alleles HH and Hh. Because that can't be true. Because no reccessive alleles could be produced that way. They would all have a dominat allele and that's wrong because 2 of the children had recessive alleles and 4 had dominant alleles.

For the very last question, I wrote that all the children had dominant allelles and so you couldn't investigate children with just recessive alleles becuase none of them had them. (a load of bull cr*p)

aha i dunno about last one, but anyone saying that parents A and B have HH and Hh alleles, is wrong :smile: because 2 out of the 6 kids didnt have the disease , so there must be some recessive alleles. a HH and Hh combination would mean EVERY kid had the disease so dont worry you are correct :smile: slightly annoyed though that this disease was on the new specification and we didnt even get told it lol
Reply 194
Original post by Fas

Also m8, I wrote that the cells have to be plant cells becuase they have chloroplasts and for the opposite, I wrote that the cell doesn't have a cell wall and so it can't be a plant cell. Would I get those marks?
Reply 195
What do you reckon the mark will be for a grade B?
Reply 196
Anyone doing the c2 higher this thursday?
Reply 197
Original post by shehrbano
Anyone doing the c2 higher this thursday?

yes me. I've achieved A*s for all of my chemistry unit 2 past papers. Hoping for 1 in the real thing.
Reply 198
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP.
for 8a i put Hh and Hh. then i wrote that 75% have the disease. and 25% dont. now i was refering to MY genetic diagram and NOT to the cats. will i still get 4 marks? because in my genetic diagram i got HH, Hh, Hh,hh. so hh would be normal but the rest would have the disease. PLEASE ANYONE?
Original post by kILLERm
Also m8, I wrote that the cells have to be plant cells becuase they have chloroplasts and for the opposite, I wrote that the cell doesn't have a cell wall and so it can't be a plant cell. Would I get those marks?

yea for the one about why they tought it was a plant cell, it was chloroplasts and vacuole ( 2 marker) and for the why they thought it was animal cell and not plant cell it was didnt have a cell wall and it had the flagellum thingy for moving around you are correct :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending