The Student Room Group

According to economist article, Jews are genetically superior

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SoNottingH
What was your evidence that they aren't as intelligent as Einstein? That they didn't come up with Relativity? He already did that. Maybe their hair wasn't straggly and they weren't balding?

i know them, they aren't as smart as me yet alone Einstein (i recently created a new mathematical method for quadratic factorising).

if you watch the documentary i posted, you will see.
Reply 81
Original post by SexyNerd

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21760201/Discredited-Psychological-Treatments-and-TestsAbsolutely nothing in that supports the claim that IQ is discredited.
Reply 82
no, my friends are not as intelligent, just because a discredited tests says so. look how desperate you are to cling on to this.

no, his high intelligence is obvious in what he achieved, not in his IQ.

knowledge is something we can all acquire but intelligence is something we are born with...

i think you need to watch that documentary "what makes a genius" and its certainly not a high IQ.

You don't understand what I'm saying. Intelligence is not measured in terms of academic achievement. Academic achievement can be gained by very mediocre intellects who work hard - i.e. have gained knowledge. Intelligent people can be lazy and achieve nothing academically, but they are still vastly intelligent. They can equally work hard and complement their intelligence with acquired knowledge, and that is when we see geniuses. Not unreachable base intelligence, not unreachable acquired knowledge, but a combination of both and a bit of luck that allow people to stand out.

Also, stop using Einstein as some massive academic role model. Most of his theories of relativity were already being postulated by other physicists, Einstein was merely able to popularize them by putting them together and using a better way to describe them, and being well known previously.
Reply 83
Original post by poohat
Absolutely nothing in that supports the claim that IQ is discredited.

i think you need to reread...

watch that documentary and come back to me.. its really good.
Original post by Hypocrism
You don't understand what I'm saying. Intelligence is not measured in terms of academic achievement. Academic achievement can be gained by very mediocre intellects who work hard - i.e. have gained knowledge. Intelligent people can be lazy and achieve nothing academically, but they are still vastly intelligent. They can equally work hard and complement their intelligence with acquired knowledge, and that is when we see geniuses. Not unreachable base intelligence, not unreachable acquired knowledge, but a combination of both and a bit of luck that allow people to stand out.

Also, stop using Einstein as some massive academic role model. Most of his theories of relativity were already being postulated by other physicists, Einstein was merely able to popularize them by putting them together and using a better way to describe them, and being well known previously.

Special relativity, but not General, which was very much his work.

And he did loads of other stuff too.
Reply 85
i know them, they aren't as smart as me yet alone Einstein (i recently created a new mathematical method for quadratic factorising).

if you watch the documentary i posted, you will see.

OK. What, are you like a university academic or something?

I think maybe people can be very intelligent but not show it much. Maybe a lot goes on in their heads but they struggle to express it for some reason.
Reply 86

i agree with the above, still doesn't give IQ tests credit.

Albert Einstein is the archetype of the intellectual genius.
Reply 87
i think you need to reread...

watch that documentary and come back to me.. its really good.

Your argument was this documentary was about gifted children and did not mention IQ therefore IQ is invalid :rofl:

Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
In this thread:

Anecdotal Evidence - Check
Pseudoscience - Check
Mindless Bigotry - Check
Confusion over the nature of intelligence - Check
The same old IQ debate that we see at least five times per day - Check

Just to complete the set, I'm going to invoke Godwin's law.

Wasn't there a fella in Germany who had some interesting ideas about Jews and their genetic capability?

I'm by no means claiming Jews are more intelligent, but it was infact their relative success which was used to justified killing them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by green.tea
Actually they traditionally are. Their religious texts are some on the most complex ive seen and also mean they gain language learning experience. Hebrew is a beautiful looking language, but weighed against this is their tendency to dress like dorks.

hebrew.jpg ultra-orthodox-jews2.jpg

Complex religious texts doesnt mean they are smart does it? It says interests is not permissible, and yet they give and take interest? :rolleyes:
Reply 89
Original post by SoNottingH
OK. What, are you like a university academic or something?

no, what, would being one make me "intelligent"

I think maybe people can be very intelligent but not show it much. Maybe a lot goes on in their heads but they struggle to express it for some reason.

yeah, but if he was as smart as Einstein, it would have showed itself in the real world.. Einstein didn't need an IQ test..
Reply 90
Your whole argument is literally "I once watched a TV documentary and they didnt use IQ tests, therefore IQ tests are stupid!!!". Its pretty clear you know very little about the scientific literature on the subject, where IQ testing is regularly studied and used as a proxy for g, beyond what you saw on TV and have googled while reading this thread. Thats fine, there's nothing wrong with being ignorant, but try not to be so aggressively ignorant and convinced you're right when you know absolutely nothing about the subject.

I cant even understand whether you just have a problem with how IQ is measured, or with the concept as a whole.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Special relativity, but not General, which was very much his work.

And he did loads of other stuff too.

Obviously he was a massively intelligent person and a knowledgeable physicist, but the point is that intelligence is not enough to discover the theory of relativity, but a knowledge of physics (and maths) up to that point is also obligatory.
Reply 92
Let me guess where this is going...
White people should fear and persecute Jews because Jews have high IQ scores...
Whereas africans have low IQ scores so they should be feared and persecuted by whites.
:rolleyes:
Reply 93
i agree with the above, still doesn't give IQ tests credit.

Albert Einstein is the archetype of the intellectual genius.

He built on a good framework well, obviously, but you are missing the point that without the acquired knowledge, intelligence is useless in physics.
Reply 94
Original post by TheHansa
Your argument was this documentary was about gifted children and did not mention IQ therefore IQ is invalid :rofl:

no, its not about gifted children, its about geniuses (very smart smart people), however IQ tests are so valid, they didn't want to over validate the show which was about intelligence, therefore they didn't even mention the most valid measurement of intelligence just incase the show exploded with over validity.
Reply 95
He built on a good framework well, obviously, but you are missing the point that without the acquired knowledge, intelligence is useless in physics.

without knowledge, intelligence is useless full stop...
Reply 96
Original post by Antifascist
http://www.economist.com/node/4032638

So if Jews, which in this article have been separated as a race can be more intelligent than non Jews. Can't this be true for non Jews?
For instance East Asians do better in IQ tests and schooling than European Whites. And Europeans do significantly better than Africans.
So I think it is indeed the case that different races have different intelligences.

I don't think anyone can say that one race has, on average, a higher IQ than any other race. For example, how many Europeans do you know who can speak more than one or two languages fluently? When I went out to Malawi, I was rather surprised to find that it was the norm for a secondary school pupil to be fluent in at least five languages. Also, you have to remember that developed countries have more material wealth and so children tend to be exposed to a wide variety of privileges and tend to have many more opportunities than someone from an third-world country. Therefore, I believe environmental circumstances play a huge part in the development of intelligence. Of course intelligence is largely determined by genes, but those genes can mutate and change when placed in a new environment.
Reply 97
I've got work to do..
Original post by Tackla
Complex religious texts doesnt mean they are smart does it? It says interests is not permissible, and yet they give and take interest? :rolleyes:

I was answering a post that said they were smart but not intellectual.
Reply 99
without knowledge, intelligence is useless full stop...

Thank you for suddenly agreeing with what I've been saying. It makes a change from previously arguing against it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending