The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 2: Geographical Investigations

Scroll to see replies

i got 53/80, a C. I was shocked, I got a high A on Unit 1 and have never done this poorly in class essays etc so I don't really know how it happened? Bit annoying that there was only 3 raw marks between each grade boundary too.
Original post by tooty_fruit
i got 53/80, a C. I was shocked, I got a high A on Unit 1 and have never done this poorly in class essays etc so I don't really know how it happened? Bit annoying that there was only 3 raw marks between each grade boundary too.

A resit is probably your bet bet. Maybe order your script and see where you went wrong by going over it with a teacher, and then resit. Since you seem to be doing fine, it might have just been a bad day for you. :smile:

----------
Harantony
Posted on my iPod :smile:
I'm so chuffed about getting my B! Throughout the year I've been getting really low scores on essays that we've been doing in class (I remember getting 3s and 5s :/) and I didn't go on the trip (£300!) so I was really, really disadvantaged. My teachers weren't that supportive either, they would always say they were too busy to mark any essays I did so getting a B is such an achievement for me! Well done to everyone who got what they wanted :smile:
Got a low C, looks like I'm dropping geography! Pity I can't go to Naples now though on the trip :frown:
Reply 184
I got 80/80... but I'm still dropping geography
Need to concentrate on my other subjects

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I'm so chuffed about getting my B! Throughout the year I've been getting really low scores on essays that we've been doing in class (I remember getting 3s and 5s :/) and I didn't go on the trip (£300!) so I was really, really disadvantaged. My teachers weren't that supportive either, they would always say they were too busy to mark any essays I did so getting a B is such an achievement for me! Well done to everyone who got what they wanted :smile:

Congratulations!

----------
Harantony
Reply 186
Original post by InadequateJusticex

Lol same... I actually got D's throughout the whole year
I got an overall B which I'm happy with!!

Original post by Harantony
Congratulations!

----------
Harantony

Thank you :biggrin:

Original post by Killer_94
Lol same... I actually got D's throughout the whole year
I got an overall B which I'm happy with!!

High five! Well done on your full UMS :biggrin:
Well, I was given an E for this module, which is really bizarre because I got a 90% A in my January module and I didn't feel the exam went any worse than my other exams (I got strong As in my other modules). My teacher moved to get my paper re-marked before I even opened my results slip, and both of my teachers have vowed to fight to get it sorted as they're certain it's a mistake, but I'm still quite nervous. It's not ideal, and very frustrating considering Geography was the one subject I was fairly confident in getting an A in :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
How did u guys do in the re-take??
I am so upset cause i got worse than my original grade!! And i saw myself improving in the past paers & exam!
I got an E for the re take and when i first did it in jan i got a D. I am getting a script back to see if i need it remarked/or if i dramatically went wrong somewhere. I really did not think i deserved that grade i got, i really don't get it.. :confused: :frown:

What do you guys thinnk about this situation?
Original post by Muppetmad
Well, I was given an E for this module, which is really bizarre because I got a 90% A in my January module and I didn't feel the exam went any worse than my other exams (I got strong As in my other modules). My teacher moved to get my paper re-marked before I even opened my results slip, and both of my teachers have vowed to fight to get it sorted as they're certain it's a mistake, but I'm still quite nervous. It's not ideal, and very frustrating considering Geography was the one subject I was fairly confident in getting an A in :dontknow:

That is odd! Were the teachers correct with everyone else's mark? Edexcel seem to make lots of mistakes lately, so you never know! Maybe you didn't write what you were hoping for? Maybe you forgot to cross the box with the question you were doing? I'm just guessing here.
Original post by Harantony
That is odd! Were the teachers correct with everyone else's mark? Edexcel seem to make lots of mistakes lately, so you never know! Maybe you didn't write what you were hoping for? Maybe you forgot to cross the box with the question you were doing? I'm just guessing here.

Any of those are entirely possible, in the heat of the moment I could have forgotten to cross one of the boxes. I simply don't know, it's a frustrating situation because I'm completely in the dark. It could simply be a clerical error - which would perhaps make sense, as my teacher is unable to access the marks I achieved on my individual questions on the Edexcel analysis plus service - or maybe I screwed up big time without realising it.

Edit: So, just to check, if you forget to cross one of the boxes do they simply not mark that section? Because that's pretty cruel if so, surely if you've completed all the questions in that section that's more than enough evidence that's the section you wanted to submit :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192
To be honest if you were to forget to cross the box but answered all of the questions in the section it would be unlikely that they would ignore your answers. The point of the box is to clear up any confusion based on answering the paper, its actually there as help for students aswell as examiners.
Just thinking about it, that can't have been the issue as the raw mark grade boundaries said an E was 37 marks - so just over half marks. Since the two sections are worth 35 marks, I had to have been credited in both sections :K:
Yeah, I was thinking that they still read the questions if there is a cross in the box. It is possible that they made some other sort of mistake, but it could be equally likely that you may have had a bad day. If the mark comes back as the same (or not considerably higher), then I would suggest ordering a copy of your script to go over it with your teacher(s). :smile:
Original post by Muppetmad

I know the feeling. I've had a similar experience with this exam, although I ended up with a C. With there being 3 marks between each boundary, any remarks could go up quite significantly if you were marked harshly first time round. Found out that i got 8/15 on the rebranding F+R question, which seems harsh as these are usually my strongest part. Good luck with your remark!
Original post by Bossabout
Does anyone have any unequal spaces case studies??
Also a model answer would be great?
thanks alot

you can compare the inequality between Uganda and Cornwall for your rural investigations, and for the urban you can do Mumbai... :smile::smile:
Original post by Mistrykid
Hey guys,
this question is regarding Extreme Weather
It's from the Jan 09 paper. Stuck on what I should include. Some tips please.

Describe the fieldwork and research you would undertake in order to investigate
changing weather conditions.

Thanks

this might help;
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202009/6GE02_01_rms_20090312.pdf
Reply 198
Hi guys, just wanted to create a thread where we can share ideas/resources for this exam. I am also feeling kinda worried about it and hope people can contribute and help get us well informed before we go into the exam room! :smile:

My question is concerning the "REBRANDING PLACES" topic. I know we may not all be doing the same topics, but for those of you who do rebranding, will the exam paper always give us a choice of urban/rural for the fieldwork essay question? I am just worried because my school only did fieldwork in an urban area so if a "rural area" question comes up, I'll be screwed !:frown: Anyone know if this is true?
Reply 199
Original post by Wilzo16
Hi guys, just wanted to create a thread where we can share ideas/resources for this exam. I am also feeling kinda worried about it and hope people can contribute and help get us well informed before we go into the exam room! :smile:

My question is concerning the "REBRANDING PLACES" topic. I know we may not all be doing the same topics, but for those of you who do rebranding, will the exam paper always give us a choice of urban/rural for the fieldwork essay question? I am just worried because my school only did fieldwork in an urban area so if a "rural area" question comes up, I'll be screwed !:frown: Anyone know if this is true?

Hey, I'm doing this too! Slightly worried about it but I did okay in Unit 1 so it should be fine.. :eek: Which other topic are you doing?

I'm doing rebranding too, had a look through a few past papers and they all had a similar pattern. Basically you get different 3 questions on the topic which could be about ANYTHING, so coastal, urban and rural. I can give you some details about a rural case study if you want? :smile:

Great thread - good thinking Batman :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending