The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Most people go into courses looking at the career prospects and earning prospect. Given that now the fees have increased to £9000, you would want to be doing a degree that you enjoy and have high earning prospects. To survive you need money.
Having said that, you do need to have some interest in the course, or your life will be really hard! Imagine having to learn about something you have no desire to know about! It'll make the 3-year course hard for you
Reply 41
Original post by T-Toe
To spend 5-7 years of your life doing to an intense and rigorous course... surely you should have some sort of interest?

Yes, but it can be purely motivated by money though.
Original post by Alex3591
I am going to be starting an engineering degree this September. I know that the job opportunities will be good when I graduate (if I get a good degree class) but I think I made the decision to do this degree course (and the same courses at college) solely because of the money that i could make in this field. I have little to no interest in the subject although I have always had a natural aptitude for Maths and Science. I hate to sound like a superficial and materialistic person but surely I cannot be the only student that thinks this? I mean, why else would so many prospective students apply to, for example, Dental Surgery and Law degrees at University?

Are there any other students out there who have no interest in their degree but the money is the only thing that keeps them motivated to do it? Because thats how I feel with my chosen educational path.

No. Most people go into degrees whilst thinking of job opportunities/the salaries it will afford them, some just won't admit it! For example I know people who are going into medicine who do really want to do it but it's not as if they would do it for free..... It's a long hard degree so they feel that their reward will be s relatively high salary.
Reply 43
its alright, getting a good job at the end is the most important thing to me too cos it makes the debt worth it.
Reply 44
I am going to be starting an engineering degree this September. I know that the job opportunities will be good when I graduate (if I get a good degree class) but I think I made the decision to do this degree course (and the same courses at college) solely because of the money that i could make in this field. I have little to no interest in the subject although I have always had a natural aptitude for Maths and Science. I hate to sound like a superficial and materialistic person but surely I cannot be the only student that thinks this? I mean, why else would so many prospective students apply to, for example, Dental Surgery and Law degrees at University?

Are there any other students out there who have no interest in their degree but the money is the only thing that keeps them motivated to do it? Because thats how I feel with my chosen educational path.

I chose Chemistry over Music (even though Music is my passion) in the hope of getting a degree with better job prospects. However, even though I enjoyed Chemistry at A Level, I hated it at uni. The motivation for money wasn't strong enough in my case and so I'm restarting this year doing Music :smile:

Everyone does a degree so they can get money...
Only idiots do degrees which they know won't give them any job oppertunities.
Reply 46
Original post by T-Toe
I accidentally pos repped you, sorry.

There are three ways I could respond to a little dig like this.

1) Ignore it.
2) Be bothered by it.
3) Retaliate.

- I'm going to retaliate, because I am bothered by it. I could reply like so:

"Well, I pos repped you back so now we're even. :smile: Oh, sorry, you didn't think anyone actually liked that you'd written such a spiteful little post, did you?"

^Copying the sort of sentence you made which I quoted. I hope you get my point.

- But that's not really my style. So instead I'm gonna analyse and explain why saying stuff like this is immature and annoying:

For future reference, next time you pos rep someone by accident just leave it be. Unless they say something nasty or offensive (and I did neither) they probably don't deserve to have you go "Oh, you know that good feedback you got, well it should've been negative feedback". It's unnecessary and maybe even a little bit malicious?

- I'm not a rep whore and I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I've been negged a lot before but this post of yours riled me. I don't see why you felt the need to make this post. Or at least, if you're gonna make a post like this, don't apologise when it's clearly inappropriate and insincere.

Rant Over.
Not at all OP, if you asked me when I was 17 I would have properly said yes.

Only for the fact that when I was 15/16 I knew what I wanted to do but others would consider a "soft" subject but I was really stubborn and ignored my parents and teachers opinions since I wasn't passionate about anything else. I even chose subjects which I didn't really want to do but the head of year suggested I should do them to get in uni which I regret so much.

Anyway when it came down the the summer holidays before I started uni and I considered it more and didn't have the pressure of someone nagging me to do my PS for ucas I thought realistically about my future since I'm paying tuition fees so it had to be a subject that at least had some form of skills in.
I do want to have to not worry about debt since I grew up in it. So I listened to my dad since he cares about my future and wanted me to be a lawyer or doctor (not going to happen :sad:) so Architecture was close to what I wanted to do but still my parents would be happy and I would earn good money for it. But I didn't choose the right subjects so I had to change it to Interior Architecture and I admit at first I wasn't 100% passionate about it but it was something I wanted to do since when I was a kid I liked building/designing/maths so it worked for me.
Plus I'm dyslexic and I have a high percentile for spatial awareness which the assessor said I was in the right course so that made me feel better that there can a future for it. Now I 100% love it and don't regret it, sure I won't earn as much as an architect but I would live comfortably compared to the "soft" subject I wanted to do so it's the best of both worlds.
About 80% of people in my uni say they are doing their subject for money so you're definitely not a bad person. Personally, I did consider potential earnings when looking at jobs but realistically earnings are based on luck, performance and time across all fields. I'm a little confused when people choose a specific degree solely for the money when similar wages are available across a plethora of jobs.
Original post by orangeone101
About 80% of people in my uni say they are doing their subject for money so you're definitely not a bad person. Personally, I did consider potential earnings when looking at jobs but realistically earnings are based on luck, performance and time across all fields. I'm a little confused when people choose a specific degree solely for the money when similar wages are available across a plethora of jobs.

This post was made 10 years ago so they must be making bank by now
(Original post by Alex3591)I am going to be starting an engineering degree this September. I know that the job opportunities will be good when I graduate (if I get a good degree class) but I think I made the decision to do this degree course (and the same courses at college) solely because of the money that i could make in this field. I have little to no interest in the subject although I have always had a natural aptitude for Maths and Science. I hate to sound like a superficial and materialistic person but surely I cannot be the only student that thinks this? I mean, why else would so many prospective students apply to, for example, Dental Surgery and Law degrees at University?

All you need to do is be ready to work hard, as you have stated good grades will eventually lead to a good job with a good pay. Be ready to work hard on all subjects and eventually everything will be well.

Latest

Trending

Trending