The Student Room Group

resitting for foundation year

why arent they talked about more? don't they literally give you increased access to a wildly competitive degree with minimised requirements into competitive unis? or am i getting it wrong?
Original post by euwni
why arent they talked about more? don't they literally give you increased access to a wildly competitive degree with minimised requirements into competitive unis? or am i getting it wrong?

literally yes! I applied to medicine foundation year and I'm now garunteed to become a doctor as long as I pass every year for 6 years! it also reduces exam stress with the lowered grades
Reply 2
is that dumb? if i flop my alevels like get BDD i wanna retake get 3A but im scared i wont get in so ill also apply to a foundation to ensure my chances... is that a bad or good idea? eg cambridge typically offers BBB and so does UCL! isnt this a free pass?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by euwni
is that dumb? if i flop my alevels like get BDD i wanna retake get 3A but im scared i wont get in so ill also apply to a foundation to ensure my chances... is that a bad or good idea? eg cambridge typically offers BBB and so does UCL! isnt this a free pass?

It depends if you don't mind wasting a year retaking. Personally, I found that grades don't dictate everything in life, no one is going to look at your CV and go "Oh so and so has 3A grades we 100% need him, remove all these other 3C grade employee candidates" hahaha.

Unless the University is Harvard, Cambridge or Oxford employers don't care where you studied from. Do clearing and save yourself a year.
Reply 4
Original post by euwni

Re UCL Foundation ... I am pretty sure that they do not admit students who have A levels and don't make the grades. The entry requirement is that the students do not have the requirements "have a qualification that’s unsuitable for direct entry onto a UCL undergraduate degree". A levels is direct entry pathway.
Reply 5
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
It depends if you don't mind wasting a year retaking. Personally, I found that grades don't dictate everything in life, no one is going to look at your CV and go "Oh so and so has 3A grades we 100% need him, remove all these other 3C grade employee candidates" hahaha.

Unless the University is Harvard, Cambridge or Oxford employers don't care where you studied from. Do clearing and save yourself a year.

Fair, but getting BDD is horrible. I don't wanna pay so much money for my degree which isn't in demand if im not going to a RG/top uni.
Reply 6
Original post by BubblesBB
Re UCL Foundation ... I am pretty sure that they do not admit students who have A levels and don't make the grades. The entry requirement is that the students do not have the requirements "have a qualification that’s unsuitable for direct entry onto a UCL undergraduate degree". A levels is direct entry pathway.

Aww man. Because right now I don't even have the tariff points to apply for foundation so I have no choice but to resit. I am eligible for contextual offers / access schemes so I thought that would help. Anyway for UCL I was considering doing foundation to a STEM subject which I don't have the subjects for which I believe is a valid reason, so maybe I can apply for an English Degree and then also apply for their foundation course for Engineering etc. I was also 100% considering Cambridge's foundation year (for my original subject of choice) which is for students who are from struggling backgrounds, but once again will they decline me because I retook my A-Levels and have grades eligible for their degree?
Reply 7
Original post by euwni
Aww man. Because right now I don't even have the tariff points to apply for foundation so I have no choice but to resit. I am eligible for contextual offers / access schemes so I thought that would help. Anyway for UCL I was considering doing foundation to a STEM subject which I don't have the subjects for which I believe is a valid reason, so maybe I can apply for an English Degree and then also apply for their foundation course for Engineering etc. I was also 100% considering Cambridge's foundation year (for my original subject of choice) which is for students who are from struggling backgrounds, but once again will they decline me because I retook my A-Levels and have grades eligible for their degree?

I'm afraid I am not able to answer you on that. You will need to contact UCL and Cambridge Admissions for guidance. A lot possibilities can happen for contextual, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending