The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being physically attractive is a good thing!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R4INBOW
Dear ISA

please stop wallowing in self-pity

From

A girl of the same age who does see where your coming from, but doesn't spend her days immersing herself in the negativity that her looks bring.

Easier said than done. It's hard to stop self-pity when you completely hate yourself, but have to accept the person you are. It's awful.
Original post by im so academic
Easier said than done. It's hard to stop self-pity when you completely hate yourself, but have to accept the person you are. It's awful.

Clearly then you need help. Maybe going to therapy would be good for you. Seeing as you seem to be incapable of seeing your own self worth.
Original post by The Socktor
Some people eat to try and ignore their problems (as do some people take drugs, cut themselves, etc.). If we can improve their self-esteem, the problem can be stopped from the roots.

This is important. Preventative measures are going to be far more beneficial than screening sessions for people who want plastic surgery in improving self-esteem and reducing obesity.
I don't see why the obsession on this thread is attractiveness. Being attractive in no way makes a person better or worse than another. It holds little to no value. While attractive people may be given some preference, the idea of what is attractive and what is not is completely subjective, so there is no reason to put such emphasis on it. I can understand being somewhat critical of people's weight but from a health perspective. It is unhealthy to have certain percentages of body fat or to be overweight. However, this is independent of whether a person is attractive, and while you may find someone unattractive someone else somewhere may find them attractive so why should a person change to your ideas of attractiveness?
<parameter><display><error>
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I don't see why the obsession on this thread is attractiveness. Being attractive in no way makes a person better or worse than another. It holds little to no value. While attractive people may be given some preference, the idea of what is attractive and what is not is completely subjective, so there is no reason to put such emphasis on it. I can understand being somewhat critical of people's weight but from a health perspective. It is unhealthy to have certain percentages of body fat or to be overweight. However, this is independent of whether a person is attractive, and while you may find someone unattractive someone else somewhere may find them attractive so why should a person change to your ideas of attractiveness?

While attractiveness is subjective to an extent, there is a commonly held perception of beauty, any woman bigger than about size 14 is considered fat and therefore less attractive, so it is in the interests of said women to lose weight in order to maximise their choice of potential partners.
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
Well duh. Goes without saying that people ain't gonna marry their siblings. Sometimes the inability of people to make inferences from generalisations is beyond belief.

If you include facial attractiveness as an element of masculinity then yes, masculinity is important to girls. As is muscle size etc. Though the tastes of girls vary, they are all attracted to masculinity in some shape or form.

Men are attracted to feminine faces and women are attracted to masculine faces. That's just heterosexuality. That's the playing field - it's essential. Once the playing field is established though, that's where loads of other factors come in, many but not all of them being unisex.

My objection was that you were attempting to explain why some people are more sexually attractive to the opposite sex, merely by quoting the definition of sexual attraction. That's how it seemed to me, when I read your post.
(edited 11 years ago)
While attractiveness is subjective to an extent, there is a commonly held perception of beauty, any woman bigger than about size 14 is considered fat and therefore less attractive, so it is in the interests of said women to lose weight in order to maximise their choice of potential partners.

Maximizing their choice of potential partners??? LOL ok well what those people who like women size 15 and up? You are then minimizing their choice of potential partners. Potential partners look for many things besides just physical attractiveness too...so I don't know why you are putting all the emphasis on it. People look for personality, equity, support, stability, etc. You saying that it is all down to physical attractiveness (which you agree is subjective) is therefore silly.
Hot girl + ugly guy = less chance of attractiveness than hot girl + hot guy.
You can't argue with science.

Quoting Roy Chubby Brown

"people don't **** with their faces"

I'm 15, but how can I stop caring about looks when it's the most important thing for a girl in order to get a guy?

They're girls my age that I hang out with. I think they're a bit young for you.

Also for me what I wouldn't find attractive is someone who doesn't take care of their self, make of it what you will.

So you joined TSR when you were 11 and have talked about the things you have? I sense a complete troll.

On topic anyway. Hypothetically I manage a hedge fund, I will hire the best person for the job not the most attractive interviewee, that is all :getmecoat:
(edited 11 years ago)
I repped you, OP. But all the fat chicks I know have been in more relationships than I have. One is them is engaged.

They're all my age o.o
But they would still be attractive.

I'm not attractive at all. At all.

Haha after 3 years of being a member of this silly website, I am planning to leave soon.

But I have to say kudos to you ISA. In all my time on TSR I have never been able to visualize who or what you look like. I have seen you constantly make the most ridiculous statements and adopt a new obsessive craze with justin beiber or oxbridge or whining about how all boys want "mermaid girls".

If you really are an expert troll then thank you for all the enjoyment you given to me. If you aren't then just lighten up. Physical appearance and intellectual achievements aren't the only/most important things in life. :tongue:
Reply 191
Different people find different attributes attractive.

Also, at some point, larger ladies were found attractive, just look at all the old paintings with big fat ladies in them, the amount of food you ate was proportional to how rich you were, therefore the fatter you were the more money you had. It's all about what society dictates. Right now it's that you have to be slim and tanned. It used to be that if you were tanned you were considered poorer, as you were out in the fields working, rather than swanning about in the shade because you didn't need to work.

And you might say that people don't want to be with fat ugly women or ugly men, but look at all the wonders on the Jeremy Kyle show.... They all want to sleep with each other/have partners etc.

But as others have said, there are a lot more things that are more important than physical appearance.
Original post by zKlown
I like how the OP consistently relates attractiveness to size.

Attractiveness is subjective, remember that

When studies of physical attractiveness have been done, it turns out most people have very similar standards as to what is attractive. There is almost an objective standard of attractiveness.

The attractiveness of different personalities on the other hand is very varied from person to person, this is where individuals judge things differently to other individuals.
Original post by Classical Liberal
When studies of physical attractiveness have been done, it turns out most people have very similar standards as to what is attractive. There is almost an objective standard of attractiveness.

The attractiveness of different personalities on the other hand is very varied from person to person, this is where individuals judge things differently to other individuals.

Attractive physical traits have varied historically, which shows that attractiveness is subjective. Examples have been given above, but in addition to those the Chinese used to consider small feet attractive which led to foot bindings and such. And English liked small waists and so women wore corsets. It also used to be that being pale was attractive, now the opposite is true.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Attractive physical traits have varied historically, which shows that attractiveness is subjective. Examples have been given above, but in addition to those the Chinese used to consider small feet attractive which led to foot bindings and such. And English liked small waists and so women wore corsets. It also used to be that being pale was attractive, now the opposite is true.

Ohhhh yes, but those "attractive" traits were pretty consistent across the society. The point is that people who have the same influences on them, tend to have the same idea of what is physically attractive. This idea that some guys like this and others like this, is a bit of a myth. A hot girl is a hot girl. And vice versa.

The same cannot be said for personality though.
Original post by Classical Liberal
Ohhhh yes, but those "attractive" traits were pretty consistent across the society. The point is that people who have the same influences on them, tend to have the same idea of what is physically attractive. This idea that some guys like this and others like this, is a bit of a myth. A hot girl is a hot girl. And vice versa.

The same cannot be said for personality though.

Are you really going to claim that people don't find different things attractive? Of course there are generalizations but not everyone ascribes to those. It is definitely not a myth that different people like different physical qualities. Using the example of attractive men, some people find really large, muscular men attractive, while others find slim men attractive. Having or not having toned muscles is varied among people too. Also it seems that one's personality affects how physically attractive you are perceived to be.
I agree with you OP - appearance is the most important thing.

I say we scrap the education we have now and the academic side should just be about the basics of English and Maths with a new curriculum that places a lot of emphasis on appearance and how you present yourself to others, e.g. *hours* of sport every day and elocution lessons.

You can only study academic subjects if you are deemed "good enough" for the opposite sex.

Who actually gives a **** about you if you're not beautiful? It's the truth.

I bet I'm going to get a lot of posts saying about "it's not the most important thing", "it's personality that counts". But who will the posts be written by? Women and desperate men.

Any decent man would want a hot girl.

If espousing ridiculous crap was a degree, then you would sail through with a first.

I and i know other men do not solely base our romatic interests on looks, not by a long shot. I used to have a major crush on this girl for a while and she wasn't considered hot or even good looking, just average but to me she was gorgeous because of her personality. Of course to a degree looks are important and any initial attraction is probably going to be based on appearance but ultimately when people enter relationships, it wont solely be because their partner's aesthetics are top notch, as much as they love the person as a whole.

You must be living a sad life if you're this narrow minded.

Either you are one of the most enduring trolls in internet history or you are one of the most pathetic persons on this planet. There are loads of people "your" age ( I don't think you really are 15) which live which much harder fates than being "ugly".
Their women are slimmer and more attractive than ours.
How is teaching kids that it's okay to be fat going to make us more like them?

We could teach kids that they don't need to plaster themselves with make up, and about style (not sure how). The other thing is that children need to be aware of the difference between being large and fat, which are not the same.
I read this and I thought ''No s***...''...

Latest

Trending

Trending