The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

How Good is Staffordshire University REALLYY???

Hey guys, i've recently been reading alot of comments and blogs about Staffordshire uni and it seems alot of people are saying its not very good and that its really boring. ive chose Staffs as my Firm now (stoke campus) and i'l be studying psychology.

Just wanted to know you guys' views and stuff & if theres any other psychology students ????

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, Ive just finished my first year studying here, and although staffs wasn't my first choice, I've really enjoyed myself here. Stoke isn't fantastic, I wont lie... but you really learn to make the most of it... If you're going to be living in halls you'll have the best time! The people you meet there really will be friends for life! It's not as big as other cities like manchester, but it does the job. Theres the essentials for a night out- reflex, chicagos, walkabout, liquid etc... but if you do fancy a change, manchester is a good night out and is only 40 mins away tops by train as I've done it a few times myself. I wouldnt recomend the LRV too higly though... my group of friends started calling it the last resort venue... its expensive to get into for a student union venue and the drinks aint cheap either. Gobble on a wednesday night there is fancy dress every week, yet nobody really makes the effort. Worst night ever. If you do go, super fridays tend to be better, especially when MOS are there... I feel as though im babbling now hahaa... Im going to be a welcome week rep in september though... so feel free to message me with any more questions :smile:
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Staffordshire is also my firm choice and I can't wait to start this September! :biggrin:
The feedback I got from the others who are also attending Staffordshire ,mainly say good things about the place but in all honesty I think everyone has their own individual experiences and you just need to find out for yourself really. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jade2401
hey, Ive just finished my first year studying here, and although staffs wasn't my first choice, I've really enjoyed myself here. Stoke isn't fantastic, I wont lie... but you really learn to make the most of it... If you're going to be living in halls you'll have the best time! The people you meet there really will be friends for life! It's not as big as other cities like manchester, but it does the job. Theres the essentials for a night out- reflex, chicagos, walkabout, liquid etc... but if you do fancy a change, manchester is a good night out and is only 40 mins away tops by train as I've done it a few times myself. I wouldnt recomend the LRV too higly though... my group of friends started calling it the last resort venue... its expensive to get into for a student union venue and the drinks aint cheap either. Gobble on a wednesday night there is fancy dress every week, yet nobody really makes the effort. Worst night ever. If you do go, super fridays tend to be better, especially when MOS are there... I feel as though im babbling now hahaa... Im going to be a welcome week rep in september though... so feel free to message me with any more questions :smile:

Thanks so much, that helped alot !! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Arran44
Staffordshire is also my firm choice and I can't wait to start this September! :biggrin:
The feedback I got from the others who are also attending Staffordshire ,mainly say good things about the place but in all honesty I think everyone has their own individual experiences and you just need to find out for yourself really. :smile:

Yeah that is true, thanks for that :smile:
Reply 5
I'm going in to my last year at Staffs in Stoke. I'd say it is very good at the beginning, because it is quite a small place, so you get to know people quickly, which was pretty essential for me moving away from home.
Compared to other places, it is small, and less goes on, but if you join clubs etc and dont just sit in your room, its a good place to be.
Shelton isnt the nicest place to love, but you can make it your own, so id recommend staffs.

My housemate does psychology, and really enjoys it, and as far as I know its a good course.

:smile:
Reply 6
I loved Staffs Uni.. Did my degree and MA there before moving on to a more 'prestigIous' Uni.. However Staffs is my favourite as there is no elitism, I met people from all walks of life (made seminars a lot more interesting) and the lectureres were really down to earth. Fab Uni, plus I got a first.
My sister is going to do a foundation degree there.

You make it seem like the only thing there is to do at Staffs is go on nights out/enjoy the night life...Is there anything else for people to do (ie people who don't buy into the whole 'night life' scene'?
Reply 9
Original post by jaime1986
I loved Staffs Uni.. Did my degree and MA there before moving on to a more 'prestigIous' Uni.. However Staffs is my favourite as there is no elitism, I met people from all walks of life (made seminars a lot more interesting) and the lectureres were really down to earth. Fab Uni, plus I got a first.

it's ironic as you're the one being prejudice. fab uni? really??
Original post by PrismaticCore
You make it seem like the only thing there is to do at Staffs is go on nights out/enjoy the night life...Is there anything else for people to do (ie people who don't buy into the whole 'night life' scene'?

There's a nearby Awesome walls climbing wall, and a swimming pool in walking distance. You will be right next to the train station by which you can reach bham and in under an hour x
Reply 11

hahaa, sorry... Just my first year mainly consisted of the night life lol... Waterworld and the odeon cinema are close by, loads of sports teams and societies to choose from at the student union, Alton towers is only an hour away with a bus that runs regularly- and they hire a lot of students! The train station is pretty much on top of the campus its that close, so you could get anywhere you want quickly. My friends and I also love going to Trentham gardens- its really fun there with the monkey forest and barefoot walks! As the city built up from an art and ceramic background theres also all of the galleries and museums etc if you're into all of that stuff... These are just a few of the things I've done myself this year, Im sure theres loads more you could do! But I hope this has helped a bit :smile:
hahaa, sorry... Just my first year mainly consisted of the night life lol... Waterworld and the odeon cinema are close by, loads of sports teams and societies to choose from at the student union, Alton towers is only an hour away with a bus that runs regularly- and they hire a lot of students! The train station is pretty much on top of the campus its that close, so you could get anywhere you want quickly. My friends and I also love going to Trentham gardens- its really fun there with the monkey forest and barefoot walks! As the city built up from an art and ceramic background theres also all of the galleries and museums etc if you're into all of that stuff... These are just a few of the things I've done myself this year, Im sure theres loads more you could do! But I hope this has helped a bit :smile:

Wow. How on earth do people manage to have a full-time night life and an actually good degree/good grades at the same time?
Wow. How on earth do people manage to have a full-time night life and an actually good degree/good grades at the same time?

Intelligence?
Original post by jaime1986
Intelligence?

So you're telling me that if you're intelligent, you can get through it all without working hard or anything?
Plus isn't it really expensive???
Reply 15
Original post by avril93x
Hey guys, i've recently been reading alot of comments and blogs about Staffordshire uni and it seems alot of people are saying its not very good and that its really boring. ive chose Staffs as my Firm now (stoke campus) and i'l be studying psychology.

Just wanted to know you guys' views and stuff & if theres any other psychology students ????

Hey, Staffordshire is my 2nd choice but it's looking highly likely that's where I'll be going... I've also applied for psychology with counselling :smile:
Reply 16
Hey.
I've made Staffordshire my insurance choice too and it looks like I'll be going there as well. I've applied for Sociology and so shall be on the Stoke campus also. :smile: I've heard some great things about this uni! I guess everyone has different experiences but I will not be disappointed if I do indeed end up going to Stoke :smile:
So you're telling me that if you're intelligent, you can get through it all without working hard or anything?
Plus isn't it really expensive???

Get a part time job; combined with a student load (if you chose to have one) then it will get you far in Stoke!
Reply 18
I'm now going into my last year at staffordshire and I love it!!! I'm a criminology and sociology student and it's been a really good place to go. I've made some amazing friends and the lecturers are really helpful and will always make it interesting for you. As someone said before, Shelton isn't the ideal place to live but when you have a good group of friends it doesn't really matter as you can have a lot of fun. I moved 200 miles to go there and thought I'd hate it but honestly coming home seems like a drag sometimes because I love the atmosphere at the uni. Hope you enjoy it :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
Original post by Cezz
Hey.
I've made Staffordshire my insurance choice too and it looks like I'll be going there as well. I've applied for Sociology and so shall be on the Stoke campus also. :smile: I've heard some great things about this uni! I guess everyone has different experiences but I will not be disappointed if I do indeed end up going to Stoke :smile:

Ditto :smile: well actually was my insurance choice last year but deferred this till this year to save up... which hasn't gone too well lol! Looking forward to sociology :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending