The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ive been called Gora by Asians so in return I call them pakis.
Most people think that the word is just a shortening of the word Pakistan which it is however it is derogatory towards all south asians in general.
Reply 22
Original post by Menefrego88

2 way streeett but gora just means a nnon muslim its nnot in an offensive way :smile:
I think it's just the historical association with racism. Also the fact that Pakistanis are a minority in this country, so drawing attention to their race is more likely to be deemed a threat than if you went to Pakistan and called someone a Paki.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Octohedral
You should lay off the fake tan maybe :s-smilie:

I think it's just the historical association with racism. Also the fact that Pakistanis are a minority in this country, so drawing attention to their race is more likely to be deemed a threat than if you went to Pakistan and called someone a Paki.

ahh thats true! ive never been so i wouldnt really know tbh :/
Original post by ZeeAli
i know this will spark loads of debate but im just interested as to why its like a british person being called a brit ... :/

You are supposed to worship all Pakistanis.
Reply 26
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
You are supposed to worship all Pakistanis.

why
Original post by ZeeAli
2 way streeett but gora just means a nnon muslim its nnot in an offensive way :smile:

What? It means White.
Reply 28
Original post by AkaJetson
What? It means White.

thats not what i got toldddd :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: loll
Reply 29
Original post by ZeeAli
i know this will spark loads of debate but im just interested as to why its like a british person being called a brit ... :/

Well, it's the same as calling a black person a ******..
The argument that you can call people Brits because it's not offensive but you can't call people Pakis because it is offensive, is flawed.

Brit can be offensive; it conjures up ideas of football hooliganism and girls going away to places like Kavos on holiday and causing chaos etc. Also that we always drink too much and have no respect for the property of others etc. That's offensive because it's only true of a tiny minority of British people.
Original post by ZeeAli
why

Because they have put up with India all these years. :colone:
Reply 32
Original post by JustCharley
The argument that you can call people Brits because it's not offensive but you can't call people Pakis because it is offensive, is flawed.

Brit can be offensive; it conjures up ideas of football hooliganism and girls going away to places like Kavos on holiday and causing chaos etc. Also that we always drink too much and have no respect for the property of others etc. That's offensive because it's only true of a tiny minority of British people.

hm thatts true :thinking:
I've never called a british person a brit. Therefore I do not deserve to be called a paki.

Also I always use the full forms of nationalities...
Original post by Palatial Veranda
I would class it as more of a spiky word

It's all about the Kiki/Bouba Effect for me.

Above we have Kiki and Bouba. Which is which? Kiki is the angular shape of course. I feel that this is more aggressive. I also think Paki is an angular word and would be far less offensive if it was modified to Pasi. Although not as rounded as 'Bouba' it represents a step in the right direction.

In summary, replace the 'K' in the word with something else and all problems will be solved . . . .

paBOUBi? on another note, who named the shapes? :lol:
Original post by Menefrego88

Gora just means white person lol, it's not a derogatory term or anything!
Original post by ZeeAli
thats not what i got toldddd :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: loll

someones fooling with you...

Gora mean white or a person with a light complexion skin....
kafir is the term for non-muslim (it is for both arabic and urdu i think, cuz it was arabic word, then adopted by asians...)
Reply 37
Original post by aspiringgenius
paboubi? On another note, who named the shapes? :lol:

what are you talking about?!?!?!?!!?
Reply 38
Original post by zedeneye1
someones fooling with you...

Gora mean white or a person with a light complexion skin....
kafir is the term for non-muslim (it is for both arabic and urdu i think, cuz it was arabic word, then adopted by asians...)

haha oh dear :P
Original post by ZeeAli
what are you talking about?!?!?!?!!?

I don't know. Perhaps I've had too much sugar for the day :L

Latest