The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
It is often used in racism and has negative connotations.
Some words hold a stigma attached to them, and this is one. Its because in the past it has been used in a derogatory context.
Reply 142
It's probably already been said but it's the inclination used.
A lot of people say it in spite and know it's offensive so you it as such.
Now you know it's wrong to say so if said it's offensive. Because it's not being said to shorten pakistani, it's being said to insult and push the barrier.

Also, a lot of the time it's not said to pakistanis, which can also be quite offensive, it's like asian or black folk calling us french.
I've always wondered this to, I used to use the term as i was too lazy to say/write Pakistani but as many others have said the reasons for it being frowned upon are not as such the word but how it is often used. I mean one could quite happily use the term in a non derogatory manner unlike other terms like 'N****' and so on which are just out and out offensive. I guess it depends how you use it and to whom as to whether or not it is offensive though.
Original post by ZeeAli
i know this will spark loads of debate but im just interested as to why its like a british person being called a brit ... :/

Its deeply racist, and largely due to its social connotations, you won't even find other Pakistani natives using this term amongst themselves. Not even as a joke within their inner circles. Well not likely.
Yes totally agree. I just walked home on my own & a random lad shouted "oi oi darling!!! You sexy little paki!"

I'm British born & raised. Never have been or intend to go anywhere near pakistan (not that ir matters). He is being racist & derogatory to assert his percieved 'authority.' I'd love to see him call someone his own size a paki & see what happens...
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes totally agree. I just walked home on my own
blx
It's literally the first syllable of a nation but it depends how you say it.

If you said the word "Tajik" in a coarse, loathsome tone then I guess that would be considered racist
I understand why people would be confused but it’s not the word itself that we find offensive. It’s the way it’s been used in the past and the connotations associated with the word. When other Pakistanis I know say ‘paki’, they’re saying it as a shortened way of saying Pakistani (like you said with British and Brit) but in the past people have used in like “you (insert derogatory comment) paki”. I get that some people genuinely don’t have the intention of it being offensive but I can often be taken that way for these reasons.
Reply 150
yeah, I agree its all about intentions, different people will use same words for different meanings....
Reply 151
Racial context. A bit like how "Spic" is a shortened form of "Hispanic" which in itself doesn't mean anything negative, but it's the way it's been used mostly as a slur.
Original post by NR09
I read an Al Murray book and he described it quite well:

" you've got Uzbekistan where the Uzbeks live. You've got Tajikistan where the Tajiks live. You've got Afghanistan where the Afghans live. And you've got Pakistan...where the Asains live."

lol were all asians live if only :smile:
You should've shouted louder about how you hate white chocolate. This method works quite well. When my mum was a teen someone shouted
Original post by ZeeAli
i know this will spark loads of debate but im just interested as to why its like a british person being called a brit ... :/

in my experience, only people not actually from Pakistan take offence to the word if it's said in a not abusive context like you know a joke however if you call an Indian a paki I would see how they would be offended because they are not from there and therefore how would that statement be valid and is obviously just there to cause offence which would make you an *******.
Original post by ZeeAli

OMg it’s mot wtf the word paki can be used by desis so pakistanis bengalis amd indians in bengali and paki is a racial slur since it has been used to the south Asian ppl wen we were enslaved or just to Ben ofensice
It was created probably sometime during the British empires presence in India. "Brit" was created and intended as a short way to write it whereas p*** was intended as something derogatory and hurtful. Honestly, Pakistanis shouldn't call themselves it either- even if they mean it as a short hand version other ethnicities (in this case English) just see it as unfair. Btw there's a hindu/ punjabi/ Muslim word intended against English people that's sorta used in the same way. Sorry I dunno how to spell it in English but I think most indians and Pakistanis know what I'm talking about. It literally translates to white.

Latest