The Student Room Group

New Spec AQA Biology B1 (Unit 1) Exam: June 12th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ali_d123
Well they mean the same thing so i would say so, but the Biology mark schemes are VERY STRICT with the answers.

some thought the answer was respiration. I put decay though
Reply 181
Anybody who takes triple science will have two other chances to improve the grade for biology

those who don't take it get a grade for Science A and Science B
Reply 182
Original post by rubitude
same dont worry! if we fail we fail together

I'm usually quite good at Biology but now im terrified for Chemistry but even more scared for Physics :s-smilie:

Same here!!!
Reply 183
Original post by Skye:)
Really annoyed at this exam because it didn't include:
Menstral cycle
Fertility and birth control (IVF and stuff)
adult cell cloning
neurones and the reflex system
Diet and exercise
Homeostatis and water control etc.

All things i really revised for!!!

what did people get for the first question about painkillers? I put that painkillers only relieve the symptoms of the illness

pissed off too :/ hormones and adult cell cloning were my best topics! :mad: but i put the same thing as u for the painkillers q, i was so happy bcoz i remembered the answer to that! but what did u get for gm q with zebra fish?? at the end i didnt know if they had to reproduce for the gene to work or what, so i just said the fish had the gene enabling it to change colours, and to be an indicator species...
Original post by Chris0497
I put 60% for the last question because I saw 0.6 as a decimal, and so went 60% because I am thick. And I'm predicted A* for maths:/

I should still get a mark for working though because it was all right apart from what my mind said after.

Then I also should have got a couple of marks on the question after (I think i put stuff on algae photosynthesising instead of plants)

What was the answer to the question after the biomass calculation question(0.6)

What was the actual question, do you remember ???
Reply 185
What???!!??

I feel like I have skipped/missed a page in that exam? Was there any question about countries suffering malnutrition or anything like that???!!??
Reply 186
I think it was 4x10^6 (energy from the sun) 2.4x10^4 (amount of energy used by plants)
What was the percentage of energy converted from the sun to the plant? or something like that :/
Reply 187
Original post by Crystallouise99
What was the answer to the question after the biomass calculation question(0.6)

What was the actual question, anyone remember ???

It was something along the lines of 'what percentage of the sunlight is taken in by green plants?'
Reply 188
If anyone remembers any questions + THE MARKS AWARDED FOR THE QUESTIONS (very important) please send me an inbox as I am going to probably make an unofficial mark scheme. The sooner you send me the questions + marks the quicker the mark scheme.
Found it easy - I'd revised. Pretty weird that menstrual cycle/IVF didn't come up - was expecting it to. I put 75% for the pain decrease also. Only thing I really forgot was in the six mark one - I forgot about camouflage! I just put something else (I can't remember!)
Original post by Ohhiitskatie
Found it easy - I'd revised. Pretty weird that menstrual cycle/IVF didn't come up - was expecting it to. I put 75% for the pain decrease also. Only thing I really forgot was in the six mark one - I forgot about camouflage! I just put something else (I can't remember!)

Hiya what did you put for the question after the biomass calculation one ?
Hiya what did you put for the question after the biomass calculation one ?

Which question was that? Was it the one about why not all of the energy is transferred to the plants?
Reply 192
I had a full on panic attack literally ten minutes before the end with over half the exam left. It was an awful paper, I think I'll probably resit it.
The question about the carbon cycle-Process X better be Decay because I had resipiration first, and then crossed it out and changed it!
Which question was that? Was it the one about why not all of the energy is transferred to the plants?

yh, that's the one :smile:
Original post by Dora97
I had a full on panic attack literally ten minutes before the end with over half the exam left. It was an awful paper, I think I'll probably resit it.
The question about the carbon cycle-Process X better be Decay because I had resipiration first, and then crossed it out and changed it!

I put respiration and combustion.
yh, that's the one :smile:

Oh, I can't remember, I think I just went on about how there are certain conditions that stop a plant absorbing light/some is lost through heat etc. I'm not sure if that's right, and I can't really remember. How did you find the exam?
Reply 196
For the question which asked "WHy dont painkilers cure a diesase" If I wrote because Painkillers CURE the symptons of a disease, would that still get me one mark as I mentioned the word cure and I did not mention the word only?
It suprises me that everyone seems to have found the test so easy. everyone in my school seemed to find it hard! /:
Oh, I can't remember, I think I just went on about how there are certain conditions that stop a plant absorbing light/some is lost through heat etc. I'm not sure if that's right, and I can't really remember. How did you find the exam?

It was okayish. I hated the first two pages about drugs and the finches question ?

Oh yh, there was this question about whether the man should finish his course of antibiotics, what did you say ? yes or no using the graph? I think I messed that question up.
Reply 199
I put respiration and combustion.

Noo :frown: Preparing myself for a D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending