The Student Room Group

New Spec AQA Biology B1 (Unit 1) Exam: June 12th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfyo4
Someone said there was a question on homostatis, did i miss a page or were they talking about a different paper? :s-smilie:

That was probably the old spec paper. Don't worry you didn't miss anything out .:tongue: A lot of people seem to worry that they miss out pages. :rolleyes:
Reply 221
Thank god! I didn't have time to go back through so I thought I missed it out! Well I know I missed at least 8 marks from the zebra fish and the energy transfer one, but apart from that I think I did well :smile:
Reply 222
Original post by RohanV
Ok guys nearly got an unofficial mark scheme, however the questions are not in order I will post it tommorow, I also might be missing one or two questions.... Anybody know what the answer was on why should the man finish his antibiotic course?

He should not stop taking them because there are still 0.5 billion bacteria left in his body that could divide and spread later on.
Awh thought it was quite good, although I put X was Decay as opposed to respiration, as it referred to X later on which used factors of decay. So was it respiration or decay?
Original post by dinrah04
Awh thought it was quite good, although I put X was Decay as opposed to respiration, as it referred to X later on which used factors of decay. So was it respiration or decay?

It was respiration !!:wink:
What did you put for the pharmacist question.
What was the why scientists are worried about zebra fish........

I put decay also - t be fair, the other question lends itself to decay very well as decay happens best in warm, moist environments -i.e. - in a rain forest
Reply 226
Original post by fishal
Normally 85% for a*

Highest the grade boundaries can go is 80% which is 48/60 for an A*.
Original post by Crystallouise99
It was respiration !!:wink:
What did you put for the pharmacist question.

I disagreed, as it may also cost a lot for 2 pills as opposed to just 1, drug x still had a better effect than the other two and also you don't know the effects of taking both pills together
Reply 228
Original post by minsat
Highest the grade boundaries can go is 80% which is 48/60 for an A*.

They change the grade boundaries all the time depending on how hard the test is. The January paper was about 80% for an A*, so if you think it was a similar standard then it will be a similar boundary. Also it's more confusing than a simple percentage because the convert our scores in a certain way to UMS, and 90 UMS is always an A*.

To be honest, I found the test pretty easy, and I don't seem to have made any of the stupid mistakes that people are talking about here.

Also, does anyone know the exact rule on retakes? Our teacher said something about entering 40% of the GCSE at one time, so if we retake we have to do more than one exam or enter and ISA then, is that right?
Original post by Chris0497
I put 60% for the last question because I saw 0.6 as a decimal, and so went 60% because I am thick. And I'm predicted A* for maths:/

I should still get a mark for working though because it was all right apart from what my mind said after.

Then I also should have got a couple of marks on the question after (I think i put stuff on algae photosynthesising instead of plants)

I di the same as u bit then i saw the second part and it said why is it so low, somi took 1 - 0.6 = 0.4 and put 40% so damn silly.
I found that exam so damn hard.
I didn't find it too bad, but I have to say some of the questions were really badly worded!

As for the respiration vs decay debate, I put decay. As NightStrider said, the question lent itself really well to decay!
I didn't mention enzymes in the fish question, but I mentioned removing the gene and things, so hopefully I picked up a few marks there.
Overall, I'm pretty confident I got an A. Hoping for an A*, but I'll just have to wait :smile:
Original post by undiscovered_
The fact that over half of the specification, especially that not much B1a wasn't in
there really annoyed me, so I'm hoping for low grade boundaries as we had to start the course early and cram all of it in from February.

It wasn't easy, ok but a tad challenging, what did everyone say for the pharmacist? I said yes because drug x didn't work as effectively, drug a was more quick and drug b was more effective so combined they'd be really good or something..

Hope it went well! :smile:

Indeed not happy with the stuff that came up no hormones! no evolution it was bloody joke for that question i wrote no because drug x had a long lasting effect mixing the drug will give different results and finally drug x is the drug which relieves the pain the fastest this is the one im not sure about oh well who thinks the questions were either too direct or very sneaky like the after 4 hours one oh well grade boundaries are gonna b low 4 sure and whoever said it was easy how!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
I hated that test paper, it was nothing like the mock I did from the Januaray paper!
Hardly any of the topics came up which really annoyed me and to be honest, most of it was just analyising graphs and information, I really don't feel like I've been properly tested in my biology knowledge :s-smilie:

After that, I'm so scared for Physics and Chemistry
Good luck everyone!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RevisionMaster
I hated that test paper, it was nothing like the mock I did from the Januaray paper!
Hardly any of the topics came up which really annoyed me and to be honest, most of it was just analyising graphs and information, I really don't feel like I've been properly tested in my biology knowledge :s-smilie:

After that, I'm so scared for Physics and Chemistry
Good luck everyone!

AGREED! On the whole graphs prospect and not being tested in biology knowledge, good luck with your physics and chemistry exams! Kind of nervous for my ISA..good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 234
Original post by ali_d123
I have that tomorrow! I am dreading it too! I have been revising my ass off the last hour trying to revise for the maths. Our teacher has already made us do every single paper related to this unit so all i can revise from is online stuff and my CGP book. How are you revising?

I know!!! I revised so much last night for maths!!! never worked so hard in my bloody life :O nd im making posters on all the subjects and getting my mum to test me...wbu??? Anyway, I don't think the exam went that badly today...I managed to answer every question....how'd it go for you??? :smile:
Reply 235
Original post by i9l7f
I completely agree! There was hardly any human biology which is what I know best :frown: I think that was definitely harder than any mocks I have done. And I have the maths unit 2 tomorrow as well :smile:

I know!!! all i can do is hope now that it wont turn out really bad lol! :smile: and defo harder than the mocks.....and how did you find the maths today????
Reply 236
Original post by Crystallouise99
I have English Literature exam tomorrow, not the real GCSE one though,
school exams. I haven't even looked over my notes because of the bio exam. Need to start chemistry very soon.:tongue:

I don't think anyone at my school is doing the english literature this year...at least not tht i know of :smile: nd i know what u mean, i only just started revising today :s-smilie: and ive got sociology and physics one after the other nxt wk nd they r the hardest ones!!! :frown:
Reply 237
Original post by Rebex123
I know!!! all i can do is hope now that it wont turn out really bad lol! :smile: and defo harder than the mocks.....and how did you find the maths today????

I have my fingers crossed too! Haha and maths I found fine :-) I'm glad because that's what I was dreading the most. All but 1 question I managed to answer so I'm feeling good for that one at least!! How about you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 238
what did you put for the rest of question 1 after the percentage one, i put 25% and think i have got the rest of them wrong based on this? :s-smilie:
Reply 239
Original post by i9l7f
I have my fingers crossed too! Haha and maths I found fine :-) I'm glad because that's what I was dreading the most. All but 1 question I managed to answer so I'm feeling good for that one at least!! How about you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

same!! I was so expecting much harder questions, nd answered all the qs... but the last one im not sure i got right :s-smilie: but not gonna say it was dead easy....don't wanna tempt fate :/ !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending