The Student Room Group

Geography OCR B 18th June GCSE

Who else is doing there main Geography OCR B exam on Monday 18th and how do they feel about it??

Scroll to see replies

Same! I don't know if the case studies well but apart from that I feel fine. Does anyone have any idea what will be on the paper?
Reply 2
I am, dunno how I feel about it though. Case studies are annoying. :frown:
I'm not feeling very good about this exam. I always find the geography exams the worst out of all of mine- I suck at facts, so case studies... and there's so much to cover.
Good luck everyone for this exam though :smile:
Reply 4
I'm fine for everything besides the particular numbers on the case studies.
Were you told that you only had to revise 2/3 of the course because of the either or questions in the paper

REVISE either:
Population or Settlement (although urbanisation and migration are in both)
Climatic or tectonic hazards

REVISE all of economic development (because its too ambiguous)

But I'm not sure if i should exclude half of it.
You should probably ask your teacher if your'e going to do this though as its sort of risky
Original post by Jamsebob
Were you told that you only had to revise 2/3 of the course because of the either or questions in the paper

REVISE either:

You should probably ask your teacher if your'e going to do this though as its sort of risky

My teacher said not to do this as the exam board has a tendancy to add some settlement into population... etc etc. Apparantly they tend to mix up the questions to prevent us from doing this, not completely, but maybe with one or two questions. So I'm revising it all, though some more thoroughly. I think it'd be better to be safe than sorry.
Reply 6
That's what I thought especially since all our exams this year seem to be different to all the past papers - all Gove's fault. I'm fine with all the content though I was just thinking about revising the certain case studies
How do you get full marks for the case studies? :smile:
Reply 8
By being structured and relating points. You also have to back the case study up with names and figures (the examiner should be able to read the case study and know which one it is without looking). The most important thing is answering the question properly though - make sure you read it thoroughly and cover the points that it gives you (which it hopefully will). Try describing it, explaining it, stating the effects/impacts of then state the response - this fits for most case studies and will hopefully get a 7or8
Reply 9
Got 5 days to learn all the case studies since maths just finished today...
However 1/3 of the marks are case studies, 1/3 are testing you from the
resource booklet and the other 1/3 of the knowledge comes from learning
case studies e.g. push and pull factors of migration or how an earthquake
happens so if you pretty much learn the case studies off by heart your in
with a good shot for an a* btw last year 60/75 is an a* according to last
years grade boundaries.. and this year it's only going to be lower considering
in January it was 29/40 for an a* in the dme!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I have only 4 days to learn the case studies and revise all of the topics
whats the best way to learn the case studies quick enough so that i have time to revise the topics too?
I'm glad I started revising case studies earlier, I think I only have 6 more to learn.
What I do is I have a notebook where I write down the facts. I read through them a few times then go through some of the topic and make notes on it, then when I haven't looked at the case study for around an hour I try and remember what I can. Basically doing this a few times sticks most of the facts in my head. :smile:
Hopefully through learning case studies you should learn some of the topics too.

I'm still worried about this exam, I think I'm okay for it, since I've been devoting most of my revision time for it :s-smilie: I just find geography pretty hard.

Does anyone know what case studies we have to know for economic development? My teacher wrote us a list of all the case studies we need, e.g aid project, but she didn't include tertiary business or quatrinary business in the list even though we'd done them in class... does anyone know if we need them? I'm hoping that if we know most of the case studies we should be okay though, since we have an option of two for each one.
Reply 12
We didn't learn any case studies with the different types of industry - pretty sure you don't need to know any.
As for the case studies they can be completely different for every school

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 13
on the case studies are people learning exact figures say 16,179 or are you just learning 16,000? I'm wondering how accurate they're wanting us to be.
Reply 14
In need 111 out of 120 in this exam to get an A* overall!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by milkteef
on the case studies are people learning exact figures say 16,179 or are you just learning 16,000? I'm wondering how accurate they're wanting us to be.

Jesus you don't have to be that accurate 16,000 is fine just say approximately and you're fine

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 16
Is the exam out of 75 or 120? My CGP revision guide says it's out of 75, but we've been told it's out of 120 in my school :confused:
Reply 17
Original post by Sensy
Is the exam out of 75 or 120? My CGP revision guide says it's out of 75, but we've been told it's out of 120 in my school :confused:

Raw marks: 75
UMS: 120

so the actual exam is out of 75 marks, but when you get your result it will be out of 120 because it's scaled to take into account grade boundaries etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Paradox.
Raw marks: 75
UMS: 120

so the actual exam is out of 75 marks, but when you get your result it will be out of 120 because it's scaled to take into account grade boundaries etc.

Ah, alright thank you :smile:
Original post by Jamsebob

REVISE either:

Wait wth, don't they come up with a random question out of the 6 and if you didn't revise one (lets say tectonic hazards), you're screwed? Or can I just revise 3 of the 6 possible topics and get full marks? Just checking because I'm about to cram the case studies.

I mean can I just memorise Population instead of Population AND settlement, Tectonic Hazards instead of Tectonic AND climatic hazards (case studies I mean)..
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending