The Student Room Group

What gcse options should I pick if wanna be a future pharmacist???

Year 9 Options 2023
Key points (Instruction pls read!)
You must choose either French, Computer Science, Geography or History (unless you are in Supported Study)
You are strongly encouraged to choose to do the full English Baccalaureate suite of subjects (English, Maths, Science, French and Geography or History)
You are encouraged to choose no more than two vocational courses (Indicated with *)
Do not choose the same subject as your first choice in more than one option block
You can choose only one of Product Design - Timbers, Product Design - Textiles or
Engineering
You can choose only one of BTEC Dance or Drama (BTEC or GCSE)
Option A
French GCSE
Computer Science
GCSE
Art GCSE
Food Preparation and
Nutrition GCSE
ICT BTEC*
Photography GCSE
Religious Studies
GCSE
Sport Studies
OCR National*
Option B
French GCSE
Geography GCSE
Art GCSE
Business GCSE
Dance GCSE
Dance BTEC*
Drama GCSE
Drama BTEC*
Enterprise and Marketing OCR*
Photography GCSE
Religious Studies
GCSE
Sport Studies
OCR National*
Option C
History GCSE
Art GCSE
Engineering NCFE*
Media Studies GCSE
PE GCSE
Photography GCSE
Product Design GCSE - Textiles
Product Design GCSE - Timbers
Sports Studies OCR National*
Option D (last box)
Computer Science GCSE
Geography GCSE
History GCSE
Art GCSE
Enterprise and
Marketing OCR*
Food Preparation and
Nutrition
Health and Social Care BTEC*
ICT BTEC*
Music GCSE
Music Vocational*
Photography GCSE
Product Design GCSE
- Textiles
Product Design GCSE
- Timbers
Religious Studies GCSE
Triple Science GCSE#
These are all my gcse options have to pick which should I do if wanna be my dream a pharmacist and make sure read the instructions at the top have to pick 1 from each box A-D and have to atleast pick ever Computer Science,French,Geography or History says at the top what do you think then????
Reply 1
Pick triple science. After that it doesn’t matter tbh. Pick subjects you enjoy and will therefore do well in. Good luck
Reply 2
Bro should I pick R&S and Geography or Business and Computer Science have to pick 1 man so annoying bc I like business but hate cs same to R&S but hate geography but the instruction it says you have to pick either CS,GEOGRAPHY,HISTORY OR FRENCH WORST SUBJECTS which should I pick if you were in my situation in my case I rlly wanna do business but not sure about CS or should I just do it which most likely to do and third box probs gonna do photography

Original post by CAG575
Pick triple science. After that it doesn’t matter tbh. Pick subjects you enjoy and will therefore do well in. Good luck
Reply 3
Original post by aryc_30
Bro should I pick R&S and Geography or Business and Computer Science have to pick 1 man so annoying bc I like business but hate cs same to R&S but hate geography but the instruction it says you have to pick either CS,GEOGRAPHY,HISTORY OR FRENCH WORST SUBJECTS which should I pick if you were in my situation in my case I rlly wanna do business but not sure about CS or should I just do it which most likely to do and third box probs gonna do photography

I would suggest doing triple science. Religious studies is an easy gcse so I would recommend. However choose what you enjoy and what you are good at.
Reply 4
I was gonna but picked business just bc I’d more funner and a subject I got interested but haven’t picked CS yet still thinking which should I pick CS or HISTORY which do you recommend is better and why btw the exam board for CS is OCR and for HISTORY is EDEXEL???

Original post by _jupiter_
I would suggest doing triple science. Religious studies is an easy gcse so I would recommend. However choose what you enjoy and what you are good at.
Your GCSE options won't make a difference as the required subjects are all national curriculum subjects you need to take anyway. Just pick whatever you think you'll do well in and/or enjoy doing :smile:
Original post by aryc_30

Business is just common sense it’s really easy but just felt like a bit of a waist of a gcse on my opinion. Rs was so easy got an 8 with 4 hours revsion in total! Geography’s a bit hard tbh there’s a lot of content but only 75% for a 9? I didn’t do your others but I found Spanish really hard so French might be the same -a lot of people say history is hard depends on if you like essays.
Original post by Dienwkwbeje
Business is just common sense it’s really easy but just felt like a bit of a waist of a gcse on my opinion. Rs was so easy got an 8 with 4 hours revsion in total! Geography’s a bit hard tbh there’s a lot of content but only 75% for a 9? I didn’t do your others but I found Spanish really hard so French might be the same -a lot of people say history is hard depends on if you like essays.
Did you do business what do you get i am thinking of doing for a level that’s why might pick for gcse
Separate sciences as you'll need chemistry a level plus another science/maths
Original post by aryc_30
Year 9 Options 2023
Key points (Instruction pls read!)
You must choose either French, Computer Science, Geography or History (unless you are in Supported Study)
You are strongly encouraged to choose to do the full English Baccalaureate suite of subjects (English, Maths, Science, French and Geography or History)
You are encouraged to choose no more than two vocational courses (Indicated with *)
Do not choose the same subject as your first choice in more than one option block
You can choose only one of Product Design - Timbers, Product Design - Textiles or
Engineering
You can choose only one of BTEC Dance or Drama (BTEC or GCSE)
Option A
French GCSE
Computer Science
GCSE
Art GCSE
Food Preparation and
Nutrition GCSE
ICT BTEC*
Photography GCSE
Religious Studies
GCSE
Sport Studies
OCR National*
Option B
French GCSE
Geography GCSE
Art GCSE
Business GCSE
Dance GCSE
Dance BTEC*
Drama GCSE
Drama BTEC*
Enterprise and Marketing OCR*
Photography GCSE
Religious Studies
GCSE
Sport Studies
OCR National*
Option C
History GCSE
Art GCSE
Engineering NCFE*
Media Studies GCSE
PE GCSE
Photography GCSE
Product Design GCSE - Textiles
Product Design GCSE - Timbers
Sports Studies OCR National*
Option D (last box)
Computer Science GCSE
Geography GCSE
History GCSE
Art GCSE
Enterprise and
Marketing OCR*
Food Preparation and
Nutrition
Health and Social Care BTEC*
ICT BTEC*
Music GCSE
Music Vocational*
Photography GCSE
Product Design GCSE
- Textiles
Product Design GCSE
- Timbers
Religious Studies GCSE
Triple Science GCSE#
These are all my gcse options have to pick which should I do if wanna be my dream a pharmacist and make sure read the instructions at the top have to pick 1 from each box A-D and have to atleast pick ever Computer Science,French,Geography or History says at the top what do you think then????

Gcse’s don’t matter as much as A Levels, this is where it truly matters. But for GCSE I would strongly suggest:

Triple Science is a MUST!! (you will need to choose two science subjects, ideally biology and chemistry at A Level)

Geography (always useful as it is world knowledge of both physical and human fields)

The others I would suggest go for things you’re interested in so you will get a good grade. A language is always useful, but at GCSE stage, it’s more what grades you get rather than what you study.

At A Levels, make sure you do TWO science subjects, and another more relaxed course of your choice. People often choose geography, philosophy, english language, a language, or an art course, or economics. As all of these give strong english writing abilities, and world knowledge which goes to help with potential clients and customers in the future.
Original post by Brianstudy01
Did you do business what do you get i am thinking of doing for a level that’s why might pick for gcse

Business A Level is awful, I do it currently and it is my worst subject.
Original post by greentiger
Business A Level is awful, I do it currently and it is my worst subject.
I got 2 more to either pick cs and photography or history and rs
Not that it hugely matters but if your school does GCSE History of Medicine as one of the units it might be interesting to learn about if medicine is your passion but choosing history or not won't change your future possibilities.

Triple science isn't a must as others say however is highly preferable if you have the choice and know already you want to go into a scientific career. It wouldn't make sense not to pick it if you have the choice. You can do A-Level sciences without it I think at most schools but you should check (and do triple anyway)!

Quick Reply

Latest